U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 08:12 PM

267 posts, read 890,869 times

Advertisements

I love art, architecture, and the outdoors. I love traveling and exploring, these are a few things that have stood out in my mind.

Hyde Collection in Glens Falls The Hyde Collection: Home - Art, Museum, Upstate New York, Glens Falls, Drawings, Publications, Research Resources, Press Office, Painting, Sculpture, Education
Boat Tour around Lake George Lake George Steamboat Company : Lake George Steamboat Company
Hike or Mtn Bike in to see Camp Santanoni Santanoni Preserve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Visit Ausable Chasm Ausable Chasm
Take a tour of the Capitol New York State Assembly - Tour of the Capitol

There are so many things to see...there's a few for you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 01:22 PM

267 posts, read 890,869 times
Restaurants...I don't get out a lot, unfortunately several Albany places I loved have closed the last few years, and I mostly stick close to Sch'dy

Albany:
Katrinella's Katrinella's Bistro, albany restaurant Small husband & wife place. Don't let outer appearances fool you, the food & atmospehere were great.

Schenectady:
Cella Bistro cella bistro, Apertivo Aperitivo Bistro - Downtown Schenectady's Stylish Italian Fusion Restaurant, Chez Daisie Chez Daisie, Stockade Inn Stockade Inn. Dessert at Villa Italia Schenectady Italian Pastries, Scotia Wedding Cakes, Niskayuna Italian Bakery, Rotterdam Pasticceria, Amsterdam Online Bakery, Sfogliatelle, Italian cookies, cookies, pastries, Italy, baked goods, Award winning bakery, Villa Italia Bakery, Italian Pas

Glenville:
Water's Edge Restaurant Schenectady | Waters Edge Lighthouse Restaurant | Home

Old 03-15-2011, 10:06 PM

335 posts, read 761,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j12308 View Post
This reminds me that the Empire State Plaza buildings (Corning Tower, Legislative Office Building, Underground Concourse, etc.) have one of the largest modern art collections in New York State. Guided tours are given of these works. I haven't done it yet, but it's something I definitely have on my bucket list.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:28 AM

67,584 posts, read 63,056,244 times
I am not the OP, but I appreciate all the great ideas you guys posted!

As mentioned, my daughter is at UA, and I'm an easy 3-hr drive from NJ. Just starting to learn about the area.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:21 AM

724 posts, read 578,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j12308 View Post
Albany:
Katrinella's Katrinella's Bistro, albany restaurant Small husband & wife place. Don't let outer appearances fool you, the food & atmospehere were great.

I second this. Katrinella's is wonderful! (And just down the hill from the State Museum if you go that way, too.

I would also add Cafe 217 on Delaware (check the website for their hours first), which is my favorite place in town. Also worth a mention are El Mariachi on Hamilton and for dessert, Crisan on Lark.

If you have any interest in catching a movie, the Spectrum on Delaware is great! Not sure if anyone's suggested this yet.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:56 PM

335 posts, read 761,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykibs View Post
Also worth a mention are El Mariachi on Hamilton and for dessert, Crisan on Lark.
Yes, Crisan on Lark, most definitely! How could I have forgotten that? It is a small Romanian bakery with artful pastries at very reasonable prices.

Anyone know if they have started their single serving gelato for the season yet? You can only get it by the pint in a limited number of flavors in the winter, which makes my kids very cranky.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:49 PM

299 posts, read 934,434 times
All wonderful suggestions - thank you! Looking forward to checking out them all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area