U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 06:46 AM

9 posts, read 34,901 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm a single mom with an eight year old son who in the process of relocating to the Albany, NY area hopefully soon. I live in Sacramento, CA currently and I'm all drained out from this place, my patience is running very low to get out of here. I'm so in love with NYC and I've only been there once in my life! My heart is in NY and I see upstate would put me in a much better price range and family life than the city. I need all the help I can get from you guy's because I've never even been to Albany and I may not be able to go until I move depending on where my job takes me. I know someone mentioned to stay away from the inner city and living on the outskirts is much better. Being a single mom I need a place that's safe, and comfortable for me and my son. I can work in Albany and I don't mind driving some distance to get to work. Where I live now, I'm driving an hour to and from my job to my house everyday, IN TRAFFIC! Thanks a bunch for anyone who replies and I look forward to being closer to all of you soon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 07:19 AM

110 posts, read 473,731 times
Try Loudonville right by Albany, minutes away and nice homes etc

Old 07-26-2007, 07:49 PM

4 posts, read 82,674 times
New York Real Estate Agent, Albany, Saratoga Springs, Lake George Homes For Sale
Here is a good website for Real Estate in Albany, Saratoga, Glens Falls, etc.

Here is a great site for school info. GreatSchools.net

This is a good one too.
New York Public School Rankings

Stay out of Albany for sure. Saratoga County and Warren County would be good bets, especially if you don't mind driving 30 or 45 minutes.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2007 at 05:20 AM..

Old 07-27-2007, 05:46 PM

553 posts, read 1,843,107 times
Stay out of albany!!!!!!!!!! live outside the area and drive to work. Not a very good place for a single mom. My sons house got broken into a few times and there was 6 guys living there that all lifted weights,and were big boys. At night he would hear gun shots and someone would be dead on the corner, he went to college there good school but he should of stayed on campus. My nephew is still there finishing grad school and working as a teacher , his car is constantly being broken into,and he is lucky that is all. So listen to thfolks when they tell you stay away from the inner city.hopefully someone can direct you to a nice area outside.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:46 PM

3,360 posts, read 11,544,946 times
I thought Rotterdam looked nice. Schnectady, no.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:36 AM

17 posts, read 74,742 times
Niskayuna (east of Schenectady) is very nice but it seems to me that it's become more "upscale" over the last 10 years, so maybe not in your price range?

Old 07-31-2007, 12:00 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,284,838 times
Saratoga....period.

Itll seem a bargain coming from CA.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:37 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,634,545 times
Is lake george too far...Its sooooooooo nice up their...and so is saratoga.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:57 PM

9 posts, read 34,901 times
Thanks a bunch for all your info it's really helpful. I don't have anyone in upstate NY that can help me find a place, I have some relatives in NYC and some friends who live near Jersey City. I noticed a lot of the places you guys picked for good areas are further out north of Albany, I wondered if there were any towns south of Albany. I want so much to be close to NYC, so I can spend every weekend down there or at least as much as possible. I'm hoping to visit for a few days at the most to ck things out. I also wondered if there were any places within the city that were okay to live in. I know of bad places to live and trust me being in CA not far from Oakland and the Bay area, I've seen BAD! I really would love to save myself the commute if I could. But if I have no choice I'll take your word for it and stay away from the city.

Thanks again!

Old 08-03-2007, 08:15 AM

27 posts, read 109,712 times
Just 30 minutes (or so) south of Albany are several very nice areas (not suburban but not rural either) Valatie, Kinderhook, Chatham and the city of Hudson. It may look a bit tired and worn-out but many upstate towns which have escaped the "suburban sprawl cul-de-sac mentality seem to actively maintain that less than manicured look. Positively do not pass-up several looks at New Paltz and nearby towns (Highland, Rosendale, Stone Ridge etc). Ulster county and Dutchess county have become a bit pricey but compared to Westchester and Orange counties they are somewhat less expensive. The towns outside of the city of Poughkeepsie are wonderful and affordable).

Why not look around Queens & Brooklyn ?? Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Floral Park are gorgeous and the city is three stops to Midtown. Expensive??? yes and no... there are bargains to be found if you are patient or just get lucky. Please don't listen to anyone who is not from the city when they tell you how dangerous NY is... they simply don't know what in hell they are talking about. The areas mentioned are UPSCALE, Professional and predominately upper (very) middle class people. Very safe and very welcoming.
(example: Some idiotic woman posted a comment about how dangerous Albany is as if the entire place was a police state. Nothing could be further from the truth.)
Anyway, this is a huge and lovely region... find a place that you can afford comfortably... then as you grow more knowledgeable about where different places and how you want to live... it'll be that much easier to make decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area