Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2011, 01:49 PM

3 posts, read 7,177 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Troy in the summertime with three other graduate students, and we found a pretty good place downtown. Between four people, the rent for the place is extremely affordable-- rooms are a decent size (compared to other places we had seen previously) and there's so much kitchen space so I can prepare healthy meals every day and bake.

My parents are flipping out though because they have this idea in their heads that a) I'm still a child and b) Troy is a super dangerous place. Quote from my dad, "If you move there, I will fear for your life every day." My grandmother (who actually lives in Troy) said she drove by the place and "saw a homeless guy." Apparently, that means I will die. (Please note: as lovely as my grandmother is, she overreacts to just about everything.)

I'm hoping to ease their paranoia a bit more by doing a little research, and so far, I feel good about what I've found out. Obviously, no downtown area of any city is going to be one hundred percent safe (and I have no illusions about that), but I want to ask around and gauge other people's opinions of the area.

So far, I have discovered that a) Russell Sage College is close by, b) there is a police station close by, c) city hall is also close by. The landlord who owns the place lives next door-- he was recommended to me by my boyfriend. He seems friendly and helpful and said he would make himself available whenever we needed him to keep the place properly maintained (and I believe him because my boyfriend has worked with him in the past so I understand his work ethic and the work ethic of those he affiliates himself with). He owns and runs a couple other buildings on the street and does business with the people there regularly. I've spoken with one of my boyfriend's friends who lives nearby with his girlfriend-- been there for years and never had a problem. Other classmates in my graduate program have also told me that they like the downtown area and what it has to offer.

As a person, I'm generally friendly and outgoing, but I'm no one's fool. If I go anywhere, I'm with someone-- especially at night. I lock doors. I don't give out passwords or my social security number, etc etc etc-- I'm pretty gosh-darned responsible.

I've also looked at the recent crime data of the Albany, Schenectady and Troy city areas here on the City-Data website. Guess which city has the lower crime rates? Troy.

But yeah, I just want to see what other people's opinions are about downtown Troy-- people who are not family or people I know personally. I'm hoping this will clear up my family's own preconceived notions and biases. Because apparently my parents will not listen to reason from their daughter-- I realize, however, that this is nothing personal. They've been used to looking out for my well-being for the majority of my life, and they will never stop being my parents. However, when I mentioned "moving to Troy," there was an instant, impulsive switch from "reasoning with an adult" to "parenting a child--my way or the highway" attitude in order to make me question my judgment and submit to their "family knows best" argument.

Now, I know I am still moving to Troy, but I want to be able to do it on better terms and show that I know I can make the best decision for myself after looking into a situation with great and careful detail.

So.

Thoughts about downtown Troy, anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 07:39 AM

334 posts, read 853,033 times
If the apartment is in the Russell Sage, Monument Square, Arts Center, Music Hall area, I wouldn't worry. Although there are a few vagrants around there, it is generally safe. Some of the most expensive luxury apartments in the region are right there on 3rd St. above the Pfeil Hardware Store. I often go to that area with my young kids, and I have never felt even a little nervous. Like anyplace, watch yourself late at night. However, based on your comments and the research you have done already, I can tell that you are sensible and responsible, and you already know how to avoid risks.

I don't know much about safety issues once you move further from the zone I defined above. However, I know several families who live in the RPI/Troy High/Burdett Ave area and the only complaints I've heard from them are related to the high school kids leaving their trash around and parking their cars illegally.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:08 AM

3 posts, read 7,177 times
Thank you for your honest opinion regarding this situation. Basically, what you've said has matched up pretty well with what people I know in real life have said (the landlord, the boyfriend, boyfriend's friends, other graduate students in my program, etc).

I'm hoping that everything you've said and everything I've researched can validate my decision and sway my parents from having a suspicious/protective parent reaction to having an adult rationalization.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:07 AM

267 posts, read 972,558 times
You sound like you have a bit of street smarts, you'll be fine. It's a city. There are homeless people, crime, trash, etc. But the city has some beautiful historic architecture! I think you'll enjoy the area.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:43 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,965,230 times
Agreed...I went to RPI (Class of '03!). Back then 8 years ago there were good parts and bad parts. I luv NY pizza was the best pizza joint around then and we used to frequent Elda's and the Ruck all the time. Haha good memories...

Like others have said...there are good and bad parts...you'll be ok though.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:46 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,536,631 times
My sister lives in downtown Troy and I go to visit her every few months. We're both in our mid-20s and we've never had issues walking through the city - even at 4am coming home from The Ruck! I don't think I've ever felt unsafe while I was there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area