U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2011, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,504 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating to Albany from Long Island. I am originally from the city so I prefer an urban setting, Can anyone tell me about different sections of Albany that are safe and family oriented (brownstone like communities) Also, dont want to be near a lot of college housing (my parents live in Riverdale, NY across the street from Manhattan college students and its a nightmare) What about Center Square? Any suggestions at all would be helpful. BTW leaving long island because too expensive. We are looking to spend in the 300's. School disctrict not important will send kids to private school.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 05:40 PM

69,376 posts, read 96,177,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrina46 View Post
We are considering relocating to Albany from Long Island. I am originally from the city so I prefer an urban setting, Can anyone tell me about different sections of Albany that are safe and family oriented (brownstone like communities) Also, dont want to be near a lot of college housing (my parents live in Riverdale, NY across the street from Manhattan college students and its a nightmare) What about Center Square? Any suggestions at all would be helpful. BTW leaving long island because too expensive. We are looking to spend in the 300's. School disctrict not important will send kids to private school.
Look into the neighborhoods near the SUNY-Albany campus, Whitehall and Helderburg. Neighborhoods in Troy like South Troy, parts of Lansingburgh and some areas near RPI might work. Schenectady neighborhoods like Upper Union, Union Triangle and the GE Realty Plot might fit what you want.

As for private schools, what are you looking for and what grade levels?

Old 03-23-2011, 06:53 PM

267 posts, read 905,175 times
Center Sq in Albany is beautiful! I looked at several places there. That would be my top pick in Albany. There are beautiful areas of Troy and Schenectady as well. In Sch'dy you might consider the Stockade in addition to the areas mentioned above by ckhthankgod.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:44 AM

334 posts, read 777,405 times
All the neighborhoods that ckhthankgod listed are very family-oriented, yet in the city. However, they all are mostly one and two family detached homes with yards, albeit often small yards. if you are looking for real urban, brownstone-type communities ala Brooklyn, then you may want to stick with Center Square and downtown Troy.

The Stockade in Schenectady is very historic, beautiful, and adjacent to a little park on the Mohawk River, but you need to leave the Stockade itself to go to shopping, restaurants, etc. - not far, much within walking distance, but there is a distinctly different feel once you leave the Stockade, which may or may not matter to you.

I don't think I would call Center Square family-oriented since there are more childless people there than people with kids. It is, however, very community-oriented. Homeowners tend to know each other, people are friendly, and there is a strong neighborhood association. I know someone who says she knew more people in her Center Square neighborhood after 2 years than she knew in her previous neighborhood in NYC where she lived for 20+ years.

This isn't to say that there aren't families in Center Square. The number of children in the neighborhood has been rising in the past 5-10 years as more couples are choosing to stay in their Center Square homes after having children. There's just not nearly as many as in, let's say, the Helderberg neighborhood. Depending on where you live in Center Square, your kids may automatically get into the Thomas O'Brien Academy of Science and Technology, a city magnet elementary school.

If you are looking at Albany Academies for school, the Helderberg and Whitehall neighborhoods are very close, although Center Square is only a couple of miles. The Doane Stuart School recently moved to the other side of the Hudson, so a little bit more of a trek from Center Square, but not horrible.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:23 AM

233 posts, read 264,580 times
Hey Sabrina46,
I was just wondering if you have relocated yet, and if you chose the Albany region?
If so, what you thought of it so far, and if you did not move to Albany, I was wondering why?

It's always great to hear what actually happened in these threads.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area