U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 01:10 PM

33 posts, read 60,937 times

Advertisements

You've been most helpful. I will run some of these towns by my husband and get an idea where we can visit.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 07:07 PM

688 posts, read 1,156,063 times
I lived in Glenmont/Delmar for 3 years. It is NOT walkable. At all. And it is a VERY BORING AREA unless you are a college student

See "Kegs n Eggs" , Albany 2011

YouTube - Kegs and Eggs Albany. House gets destroyed

The only walkable community in the area is Saratoga.
I HIGHLY recommend Saratoga. Great schools, great family oriented community; the community is highly subsidized by the very very wealthy NYC residents who spend the summers here out of the heat of The City.
Yeah, the winters are cold but at least there is plenty to do!

Old 04-14-2011, 08:13 PM

334 posts, read 778,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marska View Post
I lived in Glenmont/Delmar for 3 years. It is NOT walkable. At all. And it is a VERY BORING AREA unless you are a college student
Just to clarify, the Kegs and Eggs did not happen in Glenmont/Delmar. It happened in the student neighborhood in Albany, where I doubt the original poster would be looking for housing.

Most of what is classified as Bethlehem is not walkable. However, much of the Elsmere neighborhood and the Four Corners area of Delmar is walkable. You do pay a premium for homes right in the Four Corners, though.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:04 PM

688 posts, read 1,156,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarchivist98 View Post
Just to clarify, the Kegs and Eggs did not happen in Glenmont/Delmar. It happened in the student neighborhood in Albany, where I doubt the original poster would be looking for housing.

Most of what is classified as Bethlehem is not walkable. However, much of the Elsmere neighborhood and the Four Corners area of Delmar is walkable. You do pay a premium for homes right in the Four Corners, though.
Thank you for clarifying for the OP regarding downtown Albany vs Delmar/Glenmont/Bethlehem. Yes, Kegs n Eggs occurred in an area where the majority of people are college students (the "student ghetto of Albany" ) which is about a 15 minute drive from Delmar/Glenmont/Bethlehem.

Regarding the Four Corners- this is a very, very small area. As is Elsmere.
But, it does rate a "Walk Score" of 72:
Walk Score of 357 Delaware Avenue Delmar NY 12054-9998

BUT LOOK AT SARATOGA SPRINGS!!!! A "Walk Score" of 95 - A Walker's Paradise:
Walk Score of 475 Broadway Saratoga Springs NY 12866

Old 04-18-2011, 03:29 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,615,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMud79 View Post
Thank you both.
I was also wondering if there are any walkable towns? (apart from Albany proper).
And, how is the bus service around the area?
http://www.cdta.org/images/SystemMap.pdf shows all service in that area the bus you need is called 21X also if u dont like the service tell me how it should be enhanced??

Old 05-05-2011, 08:53 AM

13 posts, read 61,136 times
WOW! First off if job is at/around Norther blvd than you don't need to be any place but within the city limits or just outside city like Ravina,coxsackie,Selkirk,Delmar if not in these area you are to far away.Catskill,greenville,freehold are considered more hick town and about a 45min commute into Norther Blvd. Living in Colonie is nice ,but you will be traveling to work I can tell you. Colonie has all major shopping Ravina,cox,selkirk more small town high dollar food markets. Delmar more city set up. Catskill,Greenville,freehold you have to travel to alb or colonie for real supermarkets. Colonie,ny big school albany,ny city schools- catholic schools,academy schools. Greenville good school but,hick town. cox,school N.G. Delmar,ny city schools. I was born & raised colonie,ny area & is close to everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area