Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 09:07 AM

66 posts, read 119,677 times

Advertisements

Does anyone live in these counties and can give me an honest assesment on living there in regards to cost of living, schools, crime, housing, etc? Ive researched quite a bit on the web but would love to hear from people who live in these counties
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 09:14 AM

255 posts, read 488,435 times
Well I haven't lived there but I know about them.

Saratoga - More affluent county so a better school, more expensive housing, not much crime at all, higher cost of living.

Warren - less affluent and more rural but still close to Saratoga and glens falls. Pretty good schools, less expensive (than Saratoga) housing, lower cost of living, low crime.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:25 AM

Its great to look into an area and not hear anything bad!What a joy!

Old 01-16-2013, 01:50 PM

93,414 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joysey77 View Post
Its great to look into an area and not hear anything bad!What a joy!
I wouldn't say that any area is perfect, but I believe that you can find what you are looking for between the two counties.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I wouldn't say that any area is perfect, but I believe that you can find what you are looking for between the two counties.
I wish there was such a thing. One thing Im quite happy about is I used a cost of living calculator comparing where I live to these counties and Oneida and was very surprised to see its cheaper in NY. Was always under the impression NY was more expensive than Jersey.Then I compared these 3 NY counties to Lexington KY which is another place I considered moving and they are almost equal!! You are right, some parts of NY state are just as cheap as the south.what a pleasant surprise!

Old 01-16-2013, 10:45 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,634,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joysey77 View Post
I wish there was such a thing. One thing Im quite happy about is I used a cost of living calculator comparing where I live to these counties and Oneida and was very surprised to see its cheaper in NY. Was always under the impression NY was more expensive than Jersey.Then I compared these 3 NY counties to Lexington KY which is another place I considered moving and they are almost equal!! You are right, some parts of NY state are just as cheap as the south.what a pleasant surprise!
NYC and downstate are expensive. Compared to Jersey anything Upstate will be cheap! You can get a lot for your money up here if you're willing to take your time and look around. People will complain about the property taxes, but you can look for areas that have lower taxes. Coming from Jersey, you aren't looking a place with $500 a year taxes. You know that's totally unrealistic.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:39 AM

150 posts, read 300,782 times
I don't know Warren but I am sure it is lovely. I live in Saratoga Springs and know we have some of the lowest property taxes in the state.. I used to live on LI and as the prior poster stated, you get a lot more for your money up here and I think the quality of life is so much better. Either way you will be OK.. it is a great place for kids and adults alike.

Best Places to Live 2011 - Top 100: Town details: Saratoga Springs, NY - from MONEY Magazine

Old 01-17-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
NYC and downstate are expensive. Compared to Jersey anything Upstate will be cheap! You can get a lot for your money up here if you're willing to take your time and look around. People will complain about the property taxes, but you can look for areas that have lower taxes. Coming from Jersey, you aren't looking a place with $500 a year taxes. You know that's totally unrealistic.
I pay 5000 propety tax in Jersey, which is some of the lowest in the state for only .10 an acre, so anything will be better than Jersey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally29 View Post
I don't know Warren but I am sure it is lovely. I live in Saratoga Springs and know we have some of the lowest property taxes in the state.. I used to live on LI and as the prior poster stated, you get a lot more for your money up here and I think the quality of life is so much better. Either way you will be OK.. it is a great place for kids and adults alike.

Best Places to Live 2011 - Top 100: Town details: Saratoga Springs, NY - from MONEY Magazine
So happy to hear from someone who lives there. Can you give me an example of property taxes on the size of a home and size of land?

Old 01-17-2013, 09:54 AM

150 posts, read 300,782 times
Here is link to SS Property Tax Office, you might want to call them too..

City Assessor

Old 01-17-2013, 09:57 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,634,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally29 View Post
Here is link to SS Property Tax Office, you might want to call them too..

City Assessor
Don't forget the schol and county taxes as well. Those aren't billed by the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area