Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 02:29 PM

2 posts, read 15,051 times

Advertisements

I had to log on and put my 2 cents in one more time. I've had this home in Cairo for 6 years now, a few years ago I posted here, warning people who may be thinking of moving here. I am here to reinforce the alert.
If you are looking for safety, peace of mind, happiness, and a warm community, DO NOT MOVE HERE. Combine Nepotism with ineptitude and you got Cairo. Its like living in a twilight zone. There is a town police force, a county police force and a state police force, all patrolling Cairo... what does that tell you. There is alot of drug traffic in town, and alot of crime elsewhere, obviously, hence the mega police forces. People are not honest, are not kind, and are extremely nosey. Nobody can mind their own business. If you are looking for privacy, you wont find it here. Most folks are jealous i guess, as they use 911 emergency as a concierge service to hassle one another, and the officers oblige them by running the requested errands, regardless of the ridiculousness of the "complaint"
The town board is anti Cairo as well. Their rulings remind me of what could happen if you put a bunch of childish 9th graders in charge. The Catastrophic amount of social security entitlements here is amazing. Not to just Seniors, but to anyone who cares apply. My property taxes go to pay people's rent, food, heating, home improvements etc. An incredible amount of folks sit around the house all winter in their undies, with the heat at 85 degrees because HEAP will keep paying the bill, and then they just raise your taxes to give more out. Neighboring counties bus people into Greene county to take advantage of the entitlements, it is so rampant here. Anyhow, save yourself the heart ache and look for a NON NY property. NY state pensions cost us 100 million 10 yrs ago, 1.1 Billion this year, and set to hit 2.4 Billion after 2014... who's paying for this?????? YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 05:07 PM

5,617 posts, read 15,467,541 times
thanks for the heads up. I have hiked all around that area, nice place to visit, vacation but live there , NO way!!!!!! I think your post is true and thanks again. TO hell with rural life!!!

Old 04-20-2011, 09:23 AM

506 posts, read 1,020,188 times
Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrt456 View Post
NY state pensions cost us 100 million 10 yrs ago, 1.1 Billion this year, and set to hit 2.4 Billion after 2014... who's paying for this?????? YOU!
Say what? NY State Pensions are and always have been self funded. Members of the Pension system and the state (just like any other business) both contribute to the fund and it is not a part of the State Budget (thank God). This is another misconception that the anti-public service and/or union lobby likes to perpetuate.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:35 AM

7 posts, read 16,655 times
Default Pensions

NY Pensions were pilfered by pataki just as social security has been pilfered by Feds. One way or another... we're all paying for it.
Why are my taxes so damn high?????????

Old 05-04-2011, 09:32 AM

263 posts, read 623,384 times
Just noticed this thread, I dont live there, know the area well, Greene Ct is not a place I would live, simply because of the area's history of mismanagement etc, the poster is right, however lot of decent people live there because they simply dont have the intestinal fortitude to go anywhere else, its a bit like Harlan Ct in Justified (FX cable). You got the GOV you voted for, nobody steps up to the plate. Plenty of areas like that Upstate NY.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:17 PM

2 posts, read 9,358 times
Default reply to VRT456

To VRT456; I could not agree with you more and could take it even further about this wretched, cursed, evil town! It was nice to have read from someone with some guts to come out and state what an under-handed town this is! At last, someone who spoke up and I too open my mouth (in a careful manner for the protection of myself and my family) about this disgusting, sinister place! In addition, they are a bunch of Nazis and racists as well! I cannot believe how people cower when I speak my mind because almost 100% of the population here is in on the game! I've lived all around the world and have never, ever seen any system the likes of this one! Whatever you do, sell your home and get out before it does you in! I am going to be leaving in the next year and this place killed my grandparents who were beautiful, hard-working people who moved up here innocently to raise their children in natural beauty instead of the city only to discover that it is worse then the City with their little mafia clicks they have operating up here! It is a filthy, mouse-infested, disease-ridden and drug ***** spewing place and it is all very calculated by the same bunch who have been running it for over 50 years! I am a very upstanding and immaculate renter (as I have no intention on ever buying here!) who is suing a home-owner's association for some condominiums in the area who I tape-recorded shouting racial epithets at me and threatening my family because we are Irish Gypsies! We are taking it to the Feds and are not going to stop until these local scum are forced to pay up and ship out! Cairo has messed with the wrong people outside the fix and the crooked cops, judges and the like will have to find themselves employment elsewhere (hopefully in a cell block) when we take our case to the Feds and expose this area to national media for the first time in history!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrt456 View Post
I had to log on and put my 2 cents in one more time. I've had this home in Cairo for 6 years now, a few years ago I posted here, warning people who may be thinking of moving here. I am here to reinforce the alert.
If you are looking for safety, peace of mind, happiness, and a warm community, DO NOT MOVE HERE. Combine Nepotism with ineptitude and you got Cairo. Its like living in a twilight zone. There is a town police force, a county police force and a state police force, all patrolling Cairo... what does that tell you. There is alot of drug traffic in town, and alot of crime elsewhere, obviously, hence the mega police forces. People are not honest, are not kind, and are extremely nosey. Nobody can mind their own business. If you are looking for privacy, you wont find it here. Most folks are jealous i guess, as they use 911 emergency as a concierge service to hassle one another, and the officers oblige them by running the requested errands, regardless of the ridiculousness of the "complaint"
The town board is anti Cairo as well. Their rulings remind me of what could happen if you put a bunch of childish 9th graders in charge. The Catastrophic amount of social security entitlements here is amazing. Not to just Seniors, but to anyone who cares apply. My property taxes go to pay people's rent, food, heating, home improvements etc. An incredible amount of folks sit around the house all winter in their undies, with the heat at 85 degrees because HEAP will keep paying the bill, and then they just raise your taxes to give more out. Neighboring counties bus people into Greene county to take advantage of the entitlements, it is so rampant here. Anyhow, save yourself the heart ache and look for a NON NY property. NY state pensions cost us 100 million 10 yrs ago, 1.1 Billion this year, and set to hit 2.4 Billion after 2014... who's paying for this?????? YOU!

Old 01-29-2012, 12:55 AM

1 posts, read 7,388 times
All the above postings are just ridiculous.... Are you sure you know what town you are talking about??? Having been raised there with many family members still living there you are definately not talking about Cairo!!!....It is a beautiful quaint town...Mafia, drugs, crime ???? In resent years the state has purchased some of the beautifull old Victorian homes and converted them into apartments and placed low/no income people in them...That part is very sad....As for the prejudice against Irish I am laughing out loud...Much of the town and surrounding areas are made up of Irish Imigrants...Italian Imigrants, German etc...they get along ...As for the police .....The State Troopers are in South Cairo and are there to police the WHOLE county ....Which includes all the ski areas as well...the town cops really are made up of locals who are mostly like "mall cops"...the State Troopers do most of the real police work...They are honest... If you are a law abiding citizen you will have no problem...Mafia and drugs??... Where is the evidence of that?.. The town is clearly in a economical decline!!! I was raised there and moved away when I was 20...I return often to visit ...I will agree if you are an outsider you may have a hard time getting started since most of the people there have been there for generations and there is not much work to be had.....Condominiums??? Cairo has none....So where do you really live?...If you really want to see the heart of the town go onto facebook and join the Cairo page....There you will see the history and the true heart of the town....

Old 04-07-2012, 10:03 AM

2 posts, read 8,900 times
Not for nothing, it sounds like you just have a problem with paying taxes to me. your complaining about our elderly population getting SS? Wth is wrong with you. Our elderly earned their SS benefit. As far as the drugs and Social Security frauds and social services recipients, sure, there's a problem but that has nothing to do with the town. Your going to see that no matter where you go. You have cop callers too anywhere you go asnd oh yes, nosey people too!!! Your argument is absurd at best and news flash. Politicians and town officials suck like any other town.

The Cairo I came to know when my family came to settle here in 1985 to present is a community of people that would give their shirt off their back to help a neighbor. I can say this because I have and I'm not just bs'ng about that either. Our bus stop is a place where neighbors come together to shoot the breeze, laugh and have a hot cup of coffee in the morning. We help each other and share the plants of our gardens with one another here. I have actually found this to be a great place to grow up on the whole but like anywhere else you go, your always going to have bad with the good. It's all in what you make of it. Sadly enough though, taxes are going to see me moving soon but that's not the fault of something as small as a community. That's Washington and their undieing need to spend spend spend even if it means tanking the American economy as a whole to do it. Want to lower taxes? Get off your duff and get actively involved with politics in the same manner as our forefathers. The second Americans let the politicians handle everything for them is when it all started the downhill slide, not the community of Cairo.

That's my 2 cents. Good day and God bless.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 6,996 times
i had to log in and put my "2 cents" in. My grandparents moved to Cairo in 1956 - had a wonderful family here and I now live in the same house i grew up in. I was born and grew up in this town. Unfortunately, I do have to commute a hour north to my job as good paying jobs are scarce in Greene County. Yes the town does have it's problems, but when you talk about the people they are wonderful - neighbors are REAL neighbors and would drop everything to help you out. Maybe we are a little back woods, but that is the quaintness of the area. The simple life. Locally owned businesses do try to try to help out the town festivals and charities as much as possible. Yes, I will agree that at times local government does leave something to be desired as times, but i bet you would be hard pressed to find ANY town in the United States that doesn't have a problem with their local government as well as some "bad element". The only thing i wish is that more young people would become involved with their town and the rich history and maybe we could revive it to a thriving community the way that Catskill and Hudson have done with great success.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:43 PM

1 posts, read 6,452 times
I was born and raised in Cairo, NY. I lived there until I moved away to go off to college. I'm set to graduate this year.

I'm not sure if my words can accurately convey what it felt like to live in this town for the first 20 years of my life.

Take the loneliest feeling that you've ever felt and that worming, deep sort of despair that you can't seem to shake. Imagine living that feeling every day through all of the formative years of your life. Elementary school, no friends lived within miles of your house, so playdates and general hanging out wasn't possible. Middle school, there were no places to congregate where you could reliably bump into and spend time with your peers and grow as a person. And High School, well, you'd better not be an outcast. If you are, don't expect to be able to develop any kind of social skill, and expect to be nothing.

Every day from the first day I started school to the day that I left for college involved me getting up, going to school, coming home, sleeping, and repeat. What is there to do? Where is there to go? Your peers live nowhere nearby, and there is terrible internet and cell service. The isolation haunts me still. Every single day I learn about social interaction, every single day I wake up to the real world just a little bit more. The years and years I spent living in this town have deprived me in ways that I am only now beginning to understand and enumerate. I have been depressed for so long.

I see classmates on facebook now, and the females are aspiring to be models or are posing with their young children in their profile pictures. They are sometimes no older than 16. I had a thing for a girl who got pregnant at this age. But I noticed that as time went on, more and more girls got pregnant and dropped out. The males boast about drinking and drug use. Some have been arrested already, and some were arrested in high school. How do you date? How do you make friends? There are people I know who are almost illiterate. The education system is obscene. You can verify this for yourself - check the education statistics for Cairo on this site.

I'm painting you a portrait, reader.

Do not move here. Do not live here. Do not raise your children here.

This is not a quaint little town. This is not white-picket-fence America with the quiet suburbs. There is no sense of community or belonging. There is no togetherness. Cairo has problems with drugs and gangs. The school budget never passes because the old people vote it down. The school is woefully underfunded. The people who never left and the people who can't leave are angry and bitter.

Cairo is loneliness. Cairo is isolation. There are people who believe otherwise, and of course, they are entitled to their opinions. There is a difference between moving here and living here since birth. I did not choose Cairo, it was forced upon me.

I will spend the rest of my younger years confused and playing catch-up with the rest of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area