U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-14-2011, 07:26 PM
 
Location: In Denial
688 posts, read 1,154,761 times
Reputation: 555

Advertisements

I'm a little surprised that the 2011 Kegs N Eggs riot hasnt been brought up here- this is one more reason to avoid downtown Albany

www.kegsandeggs.com

Isurvivedkegsandeggs.com - facebook.com/isurvivedkegsandeggs

2011 Kegs and Eggs Riot and Wrecked Maxima

YouTube - 2011 Kegs and Eggs Riot and Wrecked Maxima (Immuzikation + ReemZ Remix)

albany college kids St Patricks Day Riot

YouTube - albany college kids St Patricks Day Riot

Last edited by marska; 04-14-2011 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: spelling
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-15-2011, 09:35 AM
 
7,228 posts, read 14,669,435 times
Reputation: 12074
Default Not limited to Albany

It's a very sad situation when a group of college kids get drunk and destroy people's property. Unfortunately it is not limited to Albany, but many towns where there are college rentals and students with no respect for people's property.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2011, 12:34 PM
 
3,234 posts, read 8,100,967 times
Reputation: 2755
great logic. Let's avoid an entire area because of one isolated incident.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2011, 01:12 PM
 
7,228 posts, read 14,669,435 times
Reputation: 12074
Default Isolated Incident

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
great logic. Let's avoid an entire area because of one isolated incident.
I doubt whether one incident will deter those who visit Albany. Albany has a lot to offer visitors and residents. Most intelligent people realize this is an isolated incident. Some people dislike Albany and others love it. Everyone has to form their own opinion by visiting, not heresay.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2011, 12:36 AM
 
Location: In Denial
688 posts, read 1,154,761 times
Reputation: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
great logic. Let's avoid an entire area because of one isolated incident.
Garmin@... You are right, this only happens once a year and involves only a small area of the city

As an aside, my daughter, who was a student at U at Albany in 2010, brought this video to my attention. In 2010 she went to K & E to "check it out" and HER car was vandalized !
She had to pay a fair amount of her hard earned $$$ to fix it; she only carried liability insurance because it's an older car.
People were hurling TV's out of second and third floor windows and one hit her car (thank God it wasnt a person!).
She transferred out of Albany for 2011.
'Nuf said.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2011, 05:06 AM
 
7,228 posts, read 14,669,435 times
Reputation: 12074
Quote:
Originally Posted by marska View Post
Garmin@... You are right, this only happens once a year and involves only a small area of the city

As an aside, my daughter, who was a student at U at Albany in 2010, brought this video to my attention. In 2010 she went to K & E to "check it out" and HER car was vandalized !
She had to pay a fair amount of her hard earned $$$ to fix it; she only carried liability insurance because it's an older car.
People were hurling TV's out of second and third floor windows and one hit her car (thank God it wasnt a person!).
She transferred out of Albany for 2011.
'Nuf said.
Marska, apparently from reading your posts you were extremely unhappy living in Albany (and several other places as well). It is one thing to cite YOUR experiences and another to outright constantly point out the negatives of the city.

Considering the reputation of K&E, I wouldn't think it prudent of your daughter to "check it out."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2011, 07:15 AM
 
3,234 posts, read 8,100,967 times
Reputation: 2755
Quote:
Originally Posted by marska View Post
Garmin@... You are right, this only happens once a year and involves only a small area of the city

As an aside, my daughter, who was a student at U at Albany in 2010, brought this video to my attention. In 2010 she went to K & E to "check it out" and HER car was vandalized !
She had to pay a fair amount of her hard earned $$$ to fix it; she only carried liability insurance because it's an older car.
People were hurling TV's out of second and third floor windows and one hit her car (thank God it wasnt a person!).
She transferred out of Albany for 2011.
'Nuf said.
again, it was an isolated incident. To transfer based on an isolated incident shows poor judgment. This can happen at any college. I saw behavior like this at Plattsburgh. I saw behavior like this when I would visit friends at Geneseo or Brockport. If you go to any college, kids will do stupid things.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2011, 09:42 AM
 
2,405 posts, read 5,626,246 times
Reputation: 2934
No big deal. Just expel them. Then let everyone know next year that undercover security will be there to document everything. Anyone caught will be expelled.
]
It's a pretty light punishment. These kids should be charged with a felony, convicted, and spend 90 days in prison.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2011, 09:55 AM
 
7,228 posts, read 14,669,435 times
Reputation: 12074
Even the expensive schools like Skidmore have their problems. Unfortunately these kids got off with a slap on the wrist and the school stood up for them.

Incident leads to hate crime charges - Times Union

I agree they should be punished accordingly. By the time these kids reached college they should know between right and wrong, either the parents make excuses for them or the school defends them. Glad I won't be around to see what the next generation is like.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2011, 10:21 PM
 
Location: In Denial
688 posts, read 1,154,761 times
Reputation: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Marska, apparently from reading your posts you were extremely unhappy living in Albany (and several other places as well). It is one thing to cite YOUR experiences and another to outright constantly point out the negatives of the city.

Considering the reputation of K&E, I wouldn't think it prudent of your daughter to "check it out."
Ellwood @ " you were extremely unhappy living in Albany".
True. I was. Hated it.
"(and several other places as well)".
Ahhhh...why in the world do you you say that? No idea what prompted this comment. Very happy in Minnesota, Mass., Nebraska, Iowa, Germany, and Cali. Learning now about the pros and cons of Maryland.
"It is one thing to cite YOUR experiences and another to outright constantly point out the negatives of the city."
El, that is your perspective. From mine, I am just offering my personal experience. Having lived there for a couple years I think I have some knowledge of the place.
But I am sure there are other members who cover Albany with much greater accuracy and positivity, sooo, no more comments on the Albany thread from Marska.

Last edited by marska; 04-16-2011 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: corrections
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top