U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2011, 12:59 PM

299 posts, read 960,455 times

Advertisements

Recently had my first bat in my apartment. Woke up in the middle of the night, and it was flying above me.

It's since disappeared - I searched high and low for it, so I can only assume it went back out the way it came from. (And the presumed access point has since been sealed.)

Just curious about anecdotes. Have you had a bat in your apartment/home before? How did you get rid of it? Did the appearance of one bat lead to a larger colony problem in your building?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 05:50 PM

334 posts, read 800,392 times
I have not had any in Albany, but I did have one when I lived near a lake in Wisconsin. Although there were lots of bats in the area, it did not lead to more in my apartment.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:51 AM

142 posts, read 270,657 times
You need to search high and low because they are small and can put themselves in the tightest spaces. I had one in my house once and hearing it flapping about as I was trying to sleep freaked me out. I turned on all the lights in the house and it disappeared out of sight. I didn't sleep that night - too scared. I spent the night and most of the next day seaching for it and finally found it right in plain sight. It was attached to the brick of my fireplace flue so camouflaged I thought it was soot. I took a towel and grabbed it and put it in a box, then called my local health department. They tested it for rabbies and it was negative. A great relief for me but sadly not for him/her.
The health department told me you have to be really careful with bats because so many of them are affected with rabbies today. And their bite is the size of a small scratch. You'd never know you were bitten. My sister had a bat in her house and she opened her sliding glass door and it flew out. But, even though she was positive she wasn't bitten, her doctor insisted she get the rabbies vacine because she let the bat go. You really need to contact the health department and tell them what happened because there is only a small time period where you can get vacinated against the disease for a disease that there's no known cure for once allowed to develope. Don't mean to scare you but you must take this very seriously.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:46 PM

299 posts, read 960,455 times
My bat did come out of hiding the next night, and I was able to catch it and take it to the health department. I've since learned you have a 10-day window to start the rabies shot sequence after exposure/possible exposure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area