Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2011, 12:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,029 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone.

Im going to be relocating to upstate NY and need some advice about commute times. I will be working in Malta, but want to be close to a Jewish Community Center. So far it seems my best compromise is to live in Cliffton Park giving me a 15-20 minute drive to work, and perhaps a 25 minute drive to the Schenectady JCC which is just across the Rexford bridge near niskayuna.

Im a little worried it would be hard to get kids to preschool at the JCC in the mornings since Ive read there is a traffic bottleneck crossing that bridge. How much time does it add on average to the drive, and at what time of day does it get jammed up?

My alternative would be to live in Niskayuna but then the drive to Malta seems more like 30-35 minutes. Seems like too much.

Could you also suggest other areas that might be nice?

Thanks a ton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 01:27 PM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Moderator cut: Orphaned: post you were quoting/replying to has been deleted

For the OP, what about the Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake area? That would put you in between both the JCC in Schenectady and Malta.

Also, you could look into the Jewish Community Center in Saratoga Springs and just possibly live in between Saratoga Springs and Malta. Congregation Shaara Tfille/The Jewish Community Center of Saratoga Springs | Facebook

Last edited by bellafinzi; 12-16-2011 at 05:38 PM..

Old 12-16-2011, 04:30 PM

267 posts, read 971,574 times
From your two options my suggestion would be to live in Nisky, close to the JCC. The commute north would be against the regular commute which would be south, usually to Sch'dy International, Knolls, GE in Nisky & Sch'dy. Going from the Malta area to the JCC, you'd be hitting the rush hour traffic in the morning and then again in the afternoon evening, after you've picked your kids up and are heading home. The JCC is a great facility, for exercise & swimming. I've also got friends that love it for it's childcare. I do like ckhthankgod's idea of living betw. Saratoga & Malta. There are plenty of different possibilities, from small city living to rural.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:50 PM

334 posts, read 852,015 times
If your kids will be going to school at the JCC, then it will probably be easier to live closer to Niskayuna. Otherwise you have to double-back both ways, and kids hate travel a lot more than adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area