U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 06:28 AM

150 posts, read 257,505 times

Advertisements

Link below to article about Saratoga Springs which was ranked one of the top 100 places to live by Money Magazine, perhapas this will be helpful to you..

Best Places to Live 2011 - Top 100: Town details: Saratoga Springs, NY - from MONEY Magazine
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 08:56 AM

10 posts, read 11,415 times
You'll only find real nightlife in Saratoga or Albany. But, it's very easy to get around in this area. There are some very nice apartment complexes in Clifton Park, which is 10-15 minutes from Malta. Clifton Park is a typical suburb with TGIF's, Ruby Tuesday's, Lowe's, Starbuck's, movie theaters, etc. It's 20-25 minutes from Saratoga or Albany. There's a Gold's Gym and a Planet Fitness too.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:41 PM

12 posts, read 18,289 times
Thanks for all the replies. I'm near the end of locking in my job with my new employer. What credit unions or banks would you recommend in Malta?

Thanks again!

Old 07-07-2012, 02:43 AM

There are several local banks and credit unions.. I have had good experiences with Adirondack Trust Bank
The Adirondack Trust Company - Saratoga Springs Bank & Local Bank. Banking. Insurance. Investments.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:20 AM

506 posts, read 904,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally29 View Post
There are several local banks and credit unions.. I have had good experiences with Adirondack Trust Bank
The Adirondack Trust Company - Saratoga Springs Bank & Local Bank. Banking. Insurance. Investments.
The only problem I had with Adirondack Trust was that I worked in Albany and there were no branches south of Malta (at least not when I lived there), so I could not stop at a branch on the way to or from work.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:35 AM

12 posts, read 18,289 times
Thanks for the replies. I start my new job in Malta in mid July and I opened up two accounts with a bank in Clifton Park. There was not enough time to apply for a credit union and I didn't meet the requirements for one of them anyway.

My apartment will be in Clifton Park. I may shop to purchase a home next summer. New York here I come!

Old 07-08-2012, 10:09 AM

468 posts, read 504,960 times
I love NYS topography, history and climes however, it is the worst place to invest in(your time, house, land..whatever) WHY? the POLITICIANS. They tax and tax and then tax some more. Oh, yeah you make good money in NYS, you have to: you need to feed the political machine. The politicians come into Albany poor to middle class and leave RICH. How does that happen??? THEY the politicians wrote themselves a little obscure blurb into law ALLOWING THEM to collect PENSION at the same time they are in office collecting regular pay. The pension is for the FIRST term. They get voted in again they get pay plus the pension for the first term aka DOUBLE DIPPING. NYS politicians have made a science out of how to rob the tax payer "legally." So you work hard make huge mega bucks for THEM. Oh, and then there is the illegals on welfare who work for them for below poverty wage. The NYS politician has made an art down to the science of how to "REDISTRIBUTE" your hard earned 'mega earnings." You pour your time 80hrs to make in the 6 figures and NYS literally takes 60% of it with their "vodoo math taxation." Is it any wonder that NYS LOST 2 million productive middle-class to Dixieland.
Word of advice: NYS political machine is grooming Cuomo for POTUS in 2016. He has been a politician for all his life. HE was HUD......the heart of the "Housing Bubble" mess. psssst rumor has it he made a few quick million behind that mess.
The NYS political machine rivals the Chitown political machine. BOTH CANCER to our beloved homeland.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:06 PM

66 posts, read 103,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1022 View Post
I love NYS topography, history and climes however, it is the worst place to invest in(your time, house, land..whatever) WHY? the POLITICIANS. They tax and tax and then tax some more. Oh, yeah you make good money in NYS, you have to: you need to feed the political machine. The politicians come into Albany poor to middle class and leave RICH. How does that happen??? THEY the politicians wrote themselves a little obscure blurb into law ALLOWING THEM to collect PENSION at the same time they are in office collecting regular pay. The pension is for the FIRST term. They get voted in again they get pay plus the pension for the first term aka DOUBLE DIPPING. NYS politicians have made a science out of how to rob the tax payer "legally." So you work hard make huge mega bucks for THEM. Oh, and then there is the illegals on welfare who work for them for below poverty wage. The NYS politician has made an art down to the science of how to "REDISTRIBUTE" your hard earned 'mega earnings." You pour your time 80hrs to make in the 6 figures and NYS literally takes 60% of it with their "vodoo math taxation." Is it any wonder that NYS LOST 2 million productive middle-class to Dixieland.
Word of advice: NYS political machine is grooming Cuomo for POTUS in 2016. He has been a politician for all his life. HE was HUD......the heart of the "Housing Bubble" mess. psssst rumor has it he made a few quick million behind that mess.
The NYS political machine rivals the Chitown political machine. BOTH CANCER to our beloved homeland.
Amen! ND...the winter weather sucks as far as I'm concerned.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:24 PM

65,630 posts, read 91,519,035 times
Eventhough that post goes totally off topic, the problem is that many other state governments do similar things, but in different ways. Governments are going to get their money somehow.

Also, if you do not like winters in the Capital Region, which gets much less snow than other parts of Upstate NY, then think about how hot and humid summers are in NC. So, it may be one season up here, but another down there.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:34 PM

As you can see from the list, Albany only ranks #24 for snowfall.. while no place is perfect, I have greatly enjoyed being back in New York and living in Saratoga Springs. I think one's personal circumstances (e.g. having a good job ) play a huge role in whether a location works out. So, welcome to New York!

//www.city-data.com/top2/c464.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area