Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 10:30 PM

12 posts, read 20,269 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm a 41 year old single male thinking of relocating from Arizona to Saratoga County. I'm not at all familiar with the cities within the county and could use your input. I would like a city that has a good night life, some sports bars, hiking and some good gyms.

I would like to rent a small home, 2 bedroom, 1 or 2 bathrooms. What cities would you recommend to live in and what $ range would I expect to pay for renting a small home? Also, a town with a lot of single women would be highly desirable.

Any input you leave will be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 05:06 AM

9,337 posts, read 16,723,792 times
Saratoga Springs might be a little pricey but is a great place to live.
Visit Saratoga! Racing, Tourism & Travel Guide to Saratoga Springs NY: Find Hotels, Events, Restaurants & Real Estate
There are several outlying small towns where you could find a reasonable house to rent (Moreau, Wilton, Northunderland, Ballston Spa)

A little further north is Glen Falls which might be a little more affordable.

Since you are in the Adirondacks there is a multitude of hiking and outdoor sports.

For rentals check into local newspapers. Post Star and Times Union)

Old 06-23-2011, 05:38 PM

12 posts, read 40,012 times
Saratoga Springs is a small version of everything you listed. I would visit there first, then the others the first post listed. If you join the YMCA is Saratoga (which is gorgeous) there are a lot of athletic type classes and clubs to meet people.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:55 PM

Thanks for the replies and links. I will check them out.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:03 PM

I'm back on after nearly a year, long story. I'm very close to negotiations with a company with for a position in Malta.

I used a mileage calculator to check the distance of nearby cities to Malta. Saratoga Springs as someone mentioned above is close by, as well as Charlton, East Glenville, Stillwater, and Mechanicville.

I would really like to know if I get a place to stay outside of Malta, which would be the easiest commute? Since I'm unfamiliar with the area, the easier the better.

I would guesstimate that I will have $800 to $1200 per month to spend on renting a small home. That may increase depending on negotiations.

If I have an address of a place, how can I find out the electric and/or gas company for the address? How could I look up a history of bills for the above?

Also, which cities in this area would have the best night life? The most singles in 30s to 40s? To all these cites above have hiking and gyms?

Thanks!

Old 05-28-2012, 05:36 AM

506 posts, read 1,029,697 times
I am curious as to why you have excluded Malta, it is pretty much centrally located between many of the cities where the night life exists. Also, night life is pretty much non-existent in Charlton and not exactly great in Mechanicville, Stillwater or East Glenville (although East Glenville is close to Schenectady).

If night life is really that important to you, Albany and Saratoga Springs are probably your best bet with Troy and Schenectady also possibilities as there are good sized colleges there too.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:30 PM

Thanks for the reply Exupstateny. I have not excluded Malta as my place of residence. My future employer would be in Malta, so it would be most convenient to live in Malta. I did read about Malta on this site, Saratoga Springs on another site, but had not had the opportunity to read about the other cities.

My main concern is living in close proximity of my future employer. A night life, hiking, and a gym would be secondary.

Thanks much!

Old 05-29-2012, 06:46 AM

506 posts, read 1,029,697 times
I am sorry, I misread your post. You asked about the commute if you got a place to stay outside of Malta and I thought you wanted to get a place outside of Malta.

As for the commute, the commute from anywhere to Malta is not bad. The nightmarish commute in the Capital District is from Saratoga County to Albany. If you chose to live south of Malta and worked usual work hours, you would be going in the opposite direction of most of the traffic. Traffic would be a little heavier if you lived north of Malta, but it doesn't get really bad until you reach the Clifton Park area (just south of Malta).

Old 05-31-2012, 03:59 AM

68 posts, read 120,418 times
The commute to Malta from Saratoga Springs proper is 15-20 minutes depending on traffic- and this is on Rt. 9, not I-87. As exupstateny says, if you are south of Malta and working the typical am-pm hours you would be traveling both directions in lighter traffic. But the traffic isn't like it is downstate so it is unusual to be sitting for longer periods.

Clifton Park has no real downtown, so for nightlife, you would be here and there. Saratoga Springs has a small downtown and lots of nightlife within walking distance of that area. A 4am last call extends the nightlife, although many that live near the downtown area would love to see that change. It can get terribly noisy especially in the summer months.

Saratoga YMCA is a nice facility. It gets jammed during the winter months. There's another gym in the High Rock area but I have no experience with that facility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area