Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 03:29 PM

12 posts, read 18,981 times

Advertisements

We're a young family (in our mid twenties) with children. Looking to relocate up to the Saratoga area. We're trying to decide between Saratoga Springs, Clifton Park, Ballston Lake/Spa, Wilton, and Queensbury but not very familiar with the area so we need advice. Looking for a suburban family friendly area possibly with a quaint downtown area. Good schools, not too too much open land but enough that we don't feel like we're on Long Island, newer and/or updated homes on around 1/2 acre of property. Would prefer a town that doesnt have too many trailer park type areas all over the place. Looking in the price range of around $275,000 - $335,000 for a well-maintained 3 bedroom home. Of these choices, which town would you think fits us?

And...do any of these towns have areas that we should stay away from or should try to keep to a certain part of town? I'm not really worried about crime in these areas but more just a "run down" sort of feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 10:22 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
I think all of them fit to some degree. It might just be a matter of where you are working.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:21 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
We live in Town of Saratoga, rural area about 10 miles outside Wilton. Sounds like Wilton would be a good choice for you. If schools are a priority, I would look into Schuylerville school district which covers several towns. There are a few nice small developments around. One is Brampton Woods in Northunderland. Wilton has quite a few, with reasonable prices. The area is very safe.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
We live in Town of Saratoga, rural area about 10 miles outside Wilton. Sounds like Wilton would be a good choice for you. If schools are a priority, I would look into Schuylerville school district which covers several towns. There are a few nice small developments around. One is Brampton Woods in Northunderland. Wilton has quite a few, with reasonable prices. The area is very safe.
We drove through Wilton this past weekend and looked specifically in the Westbrook subdivision off of Northern Pines Rd. Although we loved the subdivision, the area seemed kind of remote. There didn't seem to be much around. Since we're not from the area it's possible we were just driving in the wrong places. Can anyone direct me to similar subdivisions in Wilton that are maybe a bit closer to the center of town or in a good area of the town? Or can anyone tell me a bit about the Westbrook subdivision and what is close by?

I will add - we were leaning more towards Queensbury but with some hesitation...we've heard that the "older" side is not as desireable. We happened to really like it when we drive through so I'm wondering what makes it less desireable?

Old 07-12-2011, 10:27 AM

Default Best way to find a job in/around Saratoga County

We are relocating to Saratoga County area. My husband is being relocated with his job but I am not. I have a BS in psychology but I am currently working in customer service for a cosmetic manufacturer. What is the best way to go about job searching upstate in my field? I've tried Indeed and Monster but very little comes up. Should I go with a staffing agency? Also, does anyone know of any companies that manufacture cosmetics, personal care items, etc. up in the albany/saratoga region? I'm not sure where to even begin to look

Old 07-12-2011, 01:47 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakingTheMove11 View Post
We are relocating to Saratoga County area. My husband is being relocated with his job but I am not. I have a BS in psychology but I am currently working in customer service for a cosmetic manufacturer. What is the best way to go about job searching upstate in my field? I've tried Indeed and Monster but very little comes up. Should I go with a staffing agency? Also, does anyone know of any companies that manufacture cosmetics, personal care items, etc. up in the albany/saratoga region? I'm not sure where to even begin to look
Maybe here: Central New York Jobs Look in the Capital Region

Old 07-12-2011, 04:12 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakingTheMove11 View Post
We drove through Wilton this past weekend and looked specifically in the Westbrook subdivision off of Northern Pines Rd. Although we loved the subdivision, the area seemed kind of remote. There didn't seem to be much around. Since we're not from the area it's possible we were just driving in the wrong places. Can anyone direct me to similar subdivisions in Wilton that are maybe a bit closer to the center of town or in a good area of the town? Or can anyone tell me a bit about the Westbrook subdivision and what is close by?

I will add - we were leaning more towards Queensbury but with some hesitation...we've heard that the "older" side is not as desireable. We happened to really like it when we drive through so I'm wondering what makes it less desireable?
Queensbury and Glen Falls area may be more suitable for you as there is more around, i.e. town, shopping etc. Many areas are a little remote up here. We are 10 miles outside of Wilton, but prefer the peace and quiet.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Queensbury and Glen Falls area may be more suitable for you as there is more around, i.e. town, shopping etc. Many areas are a little remote up here. We are 10 miles outside of Wilton, but prefer the peace and quiet.
Thanks for the advice Ellwood! I know we like Sarartoga Springs too, but my fear is that we can't afford anything there, which is why we were also looking at Wilton since it's so close. I know you're outside of Wilton, but can you tell me anything more about it? Where the more built-up areas are, where you would do your food shopping, which part is older and which is newer, how is the school district, etc.

I appreciate all the help!

Old 07-13-2011, 10:13 AM

263 posts, read 625,907 times
We live in " the Oaks" off of Nothern Pines, nice family neiborood , desirable location, trees etc You can get a place here for your budget ( jut barely) lots of kids around.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland 544 View Post
We live in " the Oaks" off of Nothern Pines, nice family neiborood , desirable location, trees etc You can get a place here for your budget ( jut barely) lots of kids around.
In Wilton? I'm doing a search and I don't see this neighborhood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area