Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 11:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,554 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm new to the Albany area and I'm beginning a job hunt. I have a recent Bachelor's degree in Finance and Management. I've spent the last year working on my Master's in Accounting, but that is going to be put on hold for financial reasons this year. I have little experience in the field. I have enough credit hours to sit for my CPA and will be working on taking the exam this year. However, for now I'm looking for an entry to mid-level position in finance or accounting. I'm also qualified (because of my degree) for a management position.

I'm looking for job search tips. Are there any agencies in the area that will help you network or find a job? I know Syracuse has programs like CNYworks and some colleges in the finger lakes area offer Career Service help to everyone in the area, not just students or alumni. Also, in Rochester, they have networking events bi-monthly for job seekers. Since I'm completely new to the Albany area, I'm hoping maybe someone could direct me to any of these programs or agencies in the area.

Also, if anyone is aware of any current open positions that I maybe qualified for, please feel free to share. I'm looking for any and all assistance, as I am very unfamiliar with the Albany area. Thank you for taking the time to read through this message and I hope you have a very nice day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 08:56 AM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Check this website: Central New York Jobs

Or here: Capital Region: Workforce Investment Board

Accounting albany, ny jobs - Indeed Mobile
Finance albany, ny jobs - Indeed Mobile

Old 07-28-2011, 12:03 PM

263 posts, read 625,907 times
Keena agency in Glens falls.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:58 PM

24 posts, read 109,700 times
The state used to have a trainee program for CPAs where they would have a class of many new grads start each year at a state agency and rotate through various units. They would even give you money to complete a degree. It's an apprenticeship track position where you start at the bottom rung so to speak but can progress pretty much to the top. I'm not sure if they still have this and think that because of budget woes, they probably don't. But there will be a newly-created Department of Banking and Insurance, which is basically a merger of three state agencies. You might check some of these state agency websites. Although there is a hiring freeze, in extreme circumstances they were able to lift it, particularly if they received federal funding or state funding due to a new law that required additional staff. So although it's a slim shot, it might be worth checking out. I believe that you can still fill out the NY civil service application and possibly sit for the civil service exams based on different fields of employment. This at least gets you on a list where you can be reachable should there be a vacancy that you are qualified for.

You might also want to check and see if your university's career center has a reciprocity function with SUNY Albany or any of the other local colleges (Union, RPI, Siena, St. Rose, etc.) where you can access their job databases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area