Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 12:26 PM

233 posts, read 318,169 times

Advertisements

The Albany and Troy areas in my opinion has always had such great potential. Stunning architecture and water access/views along the Hudson. However, it has always seemed in disrepair, ignored and vacant.
I'm considering a move back to my childhood home of Albany... but I have reservations.
I am hoping that the area has seen recent improvement or has upcoming plans for re-development.
Is the area building any new amenities, or a revitalizing certain areas and if so... where?.

Last edited by mls012; 07-20-2011 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: Editing/format problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 12:56 PM

334 posts, read 851,943 times
Tough question. I've been living in Albany for about 10 years, and I've seen definite improvements over that time - much better and varied restaurant scene, both in the city and burbs; a somewhat improved downtown - there are more businesses there, but tend towards nightclubs for 20-somethings; more bike trails; better streetscape - lighting, sidewalks, etc - on Lark St. & Delaware Ave; and the new/renovated branch libraries in Albany are fabulous. Many of the schools have also undergone very nice renovations or rebuilding over the past decade. Not Albany High School, though, which is very much showing its age.

However, depending on where you are coming from, it may still seem run down and decrepit to you. The mayoral administration seems to focus on big projects rather than realizing that the little niceties are often what make or break a city. For instance, there are several new businesses on Quail St. - a couple of coffee houses/cafes & an organic bakery. They have complained about the general trashiness of the area - broken glass, litter, etc. The mayor had a grandiose response about repaving, plantings, new street lights, etc., which is all fine and good, but the businesses said they would rather the city now just focus on the littler things like trash & code enforcement.

The most noticeable improvements I've seen are in the Delaware Ave area. Note that this is still not the nicest area of the city (Center Square, Buckingham Pond, Pine Hills, and the Heldeberg Neighborhoods are considered nicer), but there have been huge improvements over what it was a while ago. As far as I can tell, most of this is being spearheaded by two extremely active groups - the Delaware Business Association and the Delaware Ave Neighborhood Association - not the government. It seems like a very vibrant neighborhood with an interesting mix of young people, refugees, gays, progressives, long-term residents, old Irish and Italian stalwarts, and families from a range of income levels.

Although there has been a ton of building in the region since you were a kid, there hasn't been much of an increase in population. Instead people have just shifted around from the cities to subdivisions/McMansions in the suburbs. That's part of what can make the region depressing. More land being built on, with little increase in cultural offerings. The suburbanization trend is starting to reverse slightly with small numbers of people returning to the cities. (Price of gas? More to do in the cities now?)

Saratoga County, especially southern Saratoga County - Clifton Park, Malta Saratoga Springs - are the big growth areas. Whether these communities would appeal to you, given your message about liking the architecture and water views, I don't know.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:42 PM

263 posts, read 626,109 times
We currently live in Saratoga, wonderfull place, however as we near retirement, we are seriously considering moving to Albany, I work there ( Pine Hills) it has been an eye opener, there are wonderfull areas around, public transportation and a lot to do, in the burbs you really need to drive everywhere, I am tired of it, also taxes are getting out of hand. Most people would probably say "what! you moving to Albany?$#@!!!" We are both City people, I have lived in NYC during the Dinkins Years ( worst Mayor ever...) Albany has a lot to offer, specially in Real Estate. Decent Neighboroods, like Pine Hills, Helde berg, Manning etc. As mentionned before, some great Neiborhood associatons.
www.centersquare.org
www.delawareneighborhood.com
www.hnaalbany.com
www.hudsonpark.org. (http://www.hudsonpark.org. - broken link)
www.PineHillsNA.org
www.wpneighbors.org

Old 07-20-2011, 02:29 PM

Thank You for your reply sarchivist98 and Roland 544. This is my first post -so I'm learning here.

I too, would like to be able to walk around- not drive everywhere! My parents live in Pine Hills... and it's perfect as my mother doesn't drive. She has everything she needs within a quick walk. The buses seem to run really well, according to her. So Roland 544- your not nuts!
Like I mentioned before, I am considering a move back. Mainly for more affordable living, my family of course, and different type of life style in general. I come from a highly saughtafter suburb (Columbia) between Baltimore and DC. I want small city life...walk to a coffee shop or breakfast with my daughter. I am a 31 y.o. single mom of a 4yo little girl.. I don't want to be in the suburbs anymore- and the cities here are too dangerous or totally unaffordable. I need to be in an area that can provide a safe, and uplifting enviroment and atleast some of the amenities were are used to here in Maryland ( a decent grocery store atleast... I'm not a fan of price chopper) farmers markets-youth sports teams, and family friendly neighborhoods (?). My dad tells me NOT to leave MD... as we have more oppritunites here in MD and Albany isn't growing I feel like Albany is 10 years behind the MD/DC/VA area though... and has so much more potential. I was hoping to hear of improvements like those that you mentioned sarchivist98.. even if they are being spearheaded by locals rather than the gov-atleast steps are being made. I am thrilled that the Delaware ave area is trying to come alive again. I have looked at houses online in that very area.. as I would love to be in involved with a active community like that. I really just wanted to get a feel or opinions from locals. IMO Albany and Troy has seemed depressed and vacant for so long. If the area was still being ignored, and no movement.... I would have to search somewhere else.
Thank you both very much, and I will continue my search in the Albany area!

Old 07-20-2011, 05:22 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
I've heard alot about the "potential" of Rochester too...which has similar issues with Albany. The downtown/city area is really pretty ghetto. I've been hearing about potential for like 30+ years when I left there, and it has gotten worse, not better. It is a shame.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:31 PM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Actually, Albany, Troy and Schenectady all gained people this past decade. So, there has been some recent growth in the cities and suburbs.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I've heard alot about the "potential" of Rochester too...which has similar issues with Albany. The downtown/city area is really pretty ghetto. I've been hearing about potential for like 30+ years when I left there, and it has gotten worse, not better. It is a shame.
It varies, as the Southeastern part of the city is generally fine, with some fine neighborhoods on the edges of town like Charlotte, Northland-Lyceum, the southern end of the 19th Ward and east of Culver Road.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:04 PM

24 posts, read 109,722 times
I spent a lot of time in Albany over the past 20 years and it has changed for the better, in my opinion, since the early 90s. However, with the economy, it has slumped a bit. There was a lot of new development from the 90s, when I was regularly visiting Albany, to the early 2000s, when I moved to Albany -- upgraded shopping, some downtown revitalization, and a general expansion. But it's still somewhat depressed, especially compared to the DC area. For every building that gets restored, it seems that there's one that gets boarded up.

It's no DC/Baltimore, but I wanted a faster pace. I live in NoVA now and love all the things to do, the beautiful scenery, and the plentiful grocery shopping. Albany does not have TJ's, Whole Foods, Wegman's, Bloom, etc., etc. I always found Price Chopper to be utterly depressing. They have tried renovating some of them, but they still aren't even on par with Giant or Safeway. It does have a new Fresh Market and lots of farmer's markets that are inexpensive. I have found the farmer's markets around here to be expensive in comparison.

Albany has some good new restaurants and new ones seem to be opening regularly, including ethnic and upscale places. But I can't exactly say that I miss any of them.

You can get sooooo much more house for the money there. I often joke that I wish I could have just moved my house from Albany down here. OK, it wasn't really a joke. But property taxes are awful, especially in the city of Albany. They're about double in the Albany area, more if you're actually in Albany.

The overall cost of living in Albany, all things considered (food, gas, housing, etc.) in my opinion, is actually pretty similar to DC. I know a lot of people would disagree with me on this assessment. The only thing more expensive in DC is housing.

In terms of walkable areas, I would recommend the city of Albany and Pine Hills is great for that. There are a lot of students, but there are also some more residential areas. These areas are safe, in my opinion. Probably not as safe as Columbia, though. There's mostly "minor" crime like burglaries. The Helderberg Neighborhood Association is active and neighbors are really friendly. I think there's definitely a community feel. There is a nice new library on New Scotland Ave. Lark St. and downtown has some nice walkable areas. The only walkable grocery store is the Madison Ave. Price Chopper, which is awful and caters to students.

Since you have a daughter, the problem with Albany is the schools. I have heard mixed reviews about the school on New Scotland (I think it's School 29?). I know of plenty of people who went to Albany public schools and did fine, but the overall community opinion is that they aren't good.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:43 AM

Did someone just compare the Albany area to the DC area, especially considering the growth of the federal government and the downsizing of state governments?

Old 07-26-2011, 12:41 PM

Come on Ckhthankgod- did you really read it that way? That's not a fair comparrison for upstate NY even in good economic conditions -I hardly think that was the point here. I really appreciated NancyDru's responce, as she understands the area I currently live (MD/DC/VA)and the Albany area, which I am considering moving too. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area