U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 02:04 PM

67 posts, read 401,324 times

Advertisements

A couple of buddies and I are going to be in Saratoga about a mile away from the racetrack on August 26. We are in our late 20s and are looking to have a good time with regards to nightlife and daytime festivities. We will be going to the racetrack on the 26. Do we need to buy tickets and can you bring your own booze in?

Whats a good spot around that area for the nightlife to go out have fun and meet new people?

Any interesting places we should check out. I'm counting on the locals for information on having a good time.

Any information will be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 04:33 AM

7,318 posts, read 14,718,803 times
You can bring food and drink, including alcohol into the race track, but they cannot be in glass containers. The weekend you are coming is Travers Weekend (race on the 27th) which draws very large crowds. Downtown on Broadway there are numerous places, pubs for meeting people your age. I will leave it to the OP to give specific names.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:45 AM

1,557 posts, read 1,455,173 times
So many choices, so little time! Depends on your preferances...but here are a few of the must-see spots.

1) Siro's. Walk there from the track & make that your first stop. It's "the" bar that everyone hits up at the end of the races...live music, great people watching, lots of moneyed elbows buying drinks for eachother. Great mix of ages. Probably the one place everyone in Saratoga puts on the list.

2) Horseshoe Inn. Live music on a raucous scale. Depending on the band, can be a biker vibe or a recent college grad vibe...but a good time either way.

3) Vapor. Inside the "racino", this place is funny to me. Depends on the band or DJ; the crowd can go young & hip to 40+ in less than an hour. Travers weekend tho, will probably be hopping. Nice surroundings.

Once you've checked out the early crowd spots above (or put Vapor on the last stop, lol)...head over to Broadway & Caroline, and start your own pub crawl. Saratoga City gets a great crowd in your age range; the Stadium is a fun sports bar; there's a slew of Irish spots and smaller venues that are always popular...Baily's, 9 Maple, the Wine Bar.....that's just a start. As you walk the area, you'll get a good feel for which places are hopping. Many have outside patios so you can see/hear the action before going in.

have a great time!

Old 07-22-2011, 11:58 AM

1,557 posts, read 1,455,173 times
Haha! My coworker just asked how could I not put Gaffney's, Putnam Den, & the Metro on the list?
Well, I was kinda throwing the first two under the Irish pub types...and I thought the Metro was no more. Oh well, see? Too many to remember.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,621 times
You can go to the General Admission of the track... you can bring coolers and such to the Picnic Table area.

Nitelife... just head to downtown "Broadway" is the main strip and all is there. About a mile long with shops, restaurants, bars..etc... right in the middle is a side street.. Caroline Street... three blocks long with a large variety of clubs to check out... pubs, sportsbar, hiphop, jazz, rock, pool tables... just about anything you could want all within walking distance.
If you want something near the track... across the street from the back side of the track... The Horse Shoe Inn"... Outside band pretty lively... also is Siro's... a bit pricey but usually packed. Broadway is less than 5 miles from track and they have shuttles that can bring you back and forth or an abundance of taxis everywhere ( $6 to $12 a trip... If you pay more than $8 per person you are being ripped off.
Also a good treat is going to the track early in the am 7am for breakfast and watching the horses train etc.
Being that you are 20 I would guess you would be spending most of your time on Caroline street :}
oh yes, bars close at 3am and at the top of Caroline on Broadway is Comptoms.... known for quick and cheap breakfast!!!! they are open 3am to 3pm...
Where are you staying?
Hope this helped... good luck and enjoy!
Felicia

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix12584 View Post
A couple of buddies and I are going to be in Saratoga about a mile away from the racetrack on August 26. We are in our late 20s and are looking to have a good time with regards to nightlife and daytime festivities. We will be going to the racetrack on the 26. Do we need to buy tickets and can you bring your own booze in?

Whats a good spot around that area for the nightlife to go out have fun and meet new people?

Any interesting places we should check out. I'm counting on the locals for information on having a good time.

Any information will be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,621 times
One more thing... you mentioned aug 26th... is that Travers??/ if yes expect things to be absolutely packed and bring your patience to wait in lines!! :}

Old 07-24-2011, 09:33 AM

Thank you all for your help. I'm staying at the Hilton. I mapquest it and it says its about 1.5 miles from the track. It is Travers week, but unfortunately we won't be there for Travers race day. You all were very helpful and if you think of anything else please let me know.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:19 AM

263 posts, read 582,206 times
The Town is packed with nice looking ladies, all well dressed, dont dress like a bum and dont wear flip flops... you be allright, specially up on the roof of Irish Times, and Metro? come on man ! a money suck with ugly looking bouncers, dont bother. And then there is Tin and Lint for real men, on Caroline....

Old 08-24-2011, 05:39 AM

What time should my friends and I get to the track tomorrow morning? Not sure how packed its going to be. We would rather get there early and get a good spot than to be stuck without a good view while drinking beers.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:25 AM

7,318 posts, read 14,718,803 times
Believe the track opens at 11:00, on the 27th (Travers) it opens at 7:00 AM. Get there early as Travers weekend it is heavily attended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area