U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 12:48 PM

8,874 posts, read 11,339,673 times

Advertisements

We were up for D's orientation session at RPI.

1. It was hot. But dryish. Not as bad as down on the coast. This is the worst it gets up there, right?

2. Speaking of the weather, D will be in a dorm without AC. They say it only matters first and last week of school.

3. From the hill next to EMPAC, Troy looks VERY nice.

4. We stayed in Blitman, at the bottom of the approach. Not much happening right near by, it seemed.

5. DW and I had dinner at Burgers on Bway. That little section, and toward the river from there was nice. There was a block on 4th st with what looked like student oriented businesses, but was closed when we got there. Mostly downtown Troy seems to vary very much on a block by block basis.

6. Drove by that victorian looking park/square just south of Downtown. Very nice looking.

7. I PRESUME little Italy is relatively safe. Nice to know there IS a little Italy nabe. But it didnt look all that great (that I recall - we just drove through it)

8. There was a big building under construction at 6th and Congress, I think, it said "student housing" but no mention of RPI. Did they just forget the name, or is it some project not affiliated with the Institute?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 01:46 PM

1,321 posts, read 1,302,517 times
Yes, the student housing under construction is for RPI. Some days a sign will be posted; sometimes not. I never really figured out why.

Little Italy is struggling, but I am hoping it, like the rest of downtown Troy, will come out on top. "Safe" is a relative term... I do not think that area is terribly unsafe ~ but I wouldn't walk it at night or alone. The architecture in Troy is one of my favorite things about the capital district. I had considered several bldgs there for a small retail venture but NYS has proven too tax hungry for me.

If you have time on any of your visits, check out the farmers market....pretty nice! There is a new Dinosaur BBQ....the antique "district" is enjoyable...some great little boutiques & eateries to stop in. There are some fun festivals sprinkled t/o the year like the Victorian Stroll, River Fest, etc.

I am chuckling tho....nope....it will get more hot and more humid ~ just hop in the car & head for the hills. Some beautiful views & lazy day activities are everywhere between Troy & Vermont. Good luck with your D @ RPI!

Old 08-11-2011, 11:50 PM

52 posts, read 103,904 times
I do agree, My daughter just got accepted to the college and we went up there and looked around, meaning we parked the car and walked around. We did enjoy ourselves and just have a good coat for the winter because it gets really cold up there. Most people were very nice and we really didn't have a problem..

Old 08-23-2011, 11:18 AM

8,874 posts, read 11,339,673 times
did the drop off trip.

1. We went to price chopper for a few things. From comments online about "slum chopper" I expected something dingy. It was a nice standard suburban supermarket.

2. The "suburban" stuff on Rt 7 starts very soon after leaving campus. Dang Troy is small, at least east to west.

3. Vermont plates at the Price Chopper. Other parents dropping off at RPI, or do folks really come in from Vermont for a supermarket?

4. Whenever we go there the lodging in town is expensive or booked up, and we end up staying in Latham/Colonie. Is that just because we are there on busy RPI weekends? I'd think theres a market for another hotel/motel in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area