Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 07:00 AM

85 posts, read 249,367 times

Advertisements

Don't let these people sway you. They are wrong.

Let me be blunt about Queensbury.. ready?.. here we go!..

I moved to Queensbury from Long Island (Islip to be exact), and I commute to Albany every single day. It's fine. People that are home grown up here think it's a long trip. Doing a solid 70-75 down I-87 - I get to downtown Albany in less than an hour. To us Long Islanders, 45-60 minute commutes to work are a pleasure, to people up here - it's a big commute. Unless you are in retail, hospitality, or a blue-collar worker - you NEED to commute to Albany for the decent jobs. It's an easy commute.. drive down I-87 for 45-60 minutes (depending on traffic), and you are there. Add a half hour to that if it's snowing.

As others here have said, Queensbury isn't a suburb of Albany (in locals term), in reality though, it is. Long Island is a suburb is a NYC (which is over an hr away), but up here.. they don't consider Queensbury a suburb of Albany (less than an hour away). Makes no sense. Up here, they consider Colonie, Latham, Guilderland, and Clifton Park as suburbs because it's all within a 5 mile radius of Albany.

We moved here in 1994. When we moved here, it was kinda depressed, nothing really around, etc. Current day though, while Queensbury doesn't have an "official" town, it is built up. It has every single restaurant you can think of, and every single store you can think of. We are 30 mins from Saratoga, 5 minutes from Lake George, add in the fact that we have a Six Flags here, go-carts, mini-golf, etc.. it is a fun place to be in the summer. The winter is another story, the whole area basically shuts down. It's very depressing here in the winter. Roads don't get cleared usually until the end of storms, people don't know how to drive, etc. The summers and fall here are amazing, the winters suck. Overall, Queesnbury is a nice place to live. Some areas are sketchy off of Exit 18 - but most areas are nice. Towns to stay away from are Glens Falls and Hudson Falls - ESPECIALLY Hudson Falls. The locals here think of Queensbury as snotty - I think of it as normal. People are friendly for the most part, and you'll find a lot of people in Queensbury from Long Island and NJ. Queensbury has good schools, although Lake George has better schools. You can find nice homes off of Ridge Rd (Rt 9L) going towards Lake George - that are considered Queensbury, but are Lake George schools - it's the best of both worlds.

Crime in the area is also rising. It seems that burglaries in Hudson Falls (next town over) are a daily occurrence. And in Glens Falls (right next to Queensbury), we have crime from downstaters. There is also a very high alcohol rate up here. Because there isn't that much to do there, there are always young people getting killed in accidents, etc.

Another issue is how laid back people are here. It's not like Long Island. In Long Island, if I needed a plumber for example - they'd be there within hours. Up here, if I need one, they just won't show, and when I call - they said they were fishing, or some crazy excuse. I've learned to call for service from people that aren't originally from up here. Sad, but true.

I'd seriously re-consider moving here. I've been here since 1994, and I've had enough. We are actually looking to live down in SC. I'd rather deal with the extreme heat for 2 months rather than the extreme cold for 8 months. Just my opinion.

Plus, it is too laid back here for my tastes.

Feel free to message me if you want a non-biased opinion of Queensbury from a fellow Long Islander. People that are from up here don't know any better, and will sugar coat things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 11:45 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyguy4u View Post
As others here have said, Queensbury isn't a suburb of Albany (in locals term), in reality though, it is. Long Island is a suburb is a NYC (which is over an hr away), but up here.. they don't consider Queensbury a suburb of Albany (less than an hour away). Makes no sense. Up here, they consider Colonie, Latham, Guilderland, and Clifton Park as suburbs because it's all within a 5 mile radius of Albany.
Actually Queensbury is part of the Glens Falls MSA and not the Capitol Region. Never has been. This isn't Long Island or NYC. You really can't compare the two areas. The only thing they have in common is that they are in New York.

Quote:

We moved here in 1994. When we moved here, it was kinda depressed, nothing really around, etc. Current day though, while Queensbury doesn't have an "official" town, it is built up.
Queensbury actually is a town and has been since 1786. It's also the county seat of Warren County. It was named in honor of Queen Charlotte.

//www.city-data.com/city/Queensbury-New-York.html

Quote:
Another issue is how laid back people are here. It's not like Long Island. In Long Island, if I needed a plumber for example - they'd be there within hours. Up here, if I need one, they just won't show, and when I call - they said they were fishing, or some crazy excuse. I've learned to call for service from people that aren't originally from up here. Sad, but true.

I'd seriously re-consider moving here. I've been here since 1994, and I've had enough. We are actually looking to live down in SC. I'd rather deal with the extreme heat for 2 months rather than the extreme cold for 8 months. Just my opinion.
People in Queensybury aren't laid back compared to folks in SC! The hustle and bustle of NYC and the surrounding areas doesn't happen anywhere else.

It isn't extremely cold in Queensbury for 8 months of the year! What do you call the weather in Minnesota? Which is far colder than NY.

I now live in SC and the extreme heat isn't 2 months long. Whoever told you that LIED. My a/c has been on since mid-April and will be on until Thanksgiving. It was 80 degrees on Halloween last year.

If you think Queensbury is laid back, boy are you in for a rude awakening in SC. Everyone here is on Southern time. You think getting a plumber to show up is a challenge up there? Oh just you wait! I've wait for days for phone calls back and then they never show up for a few WEEKS.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:13 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
ss20ts, you beat me to the punch about Queensbury and how people forget that Glens Falls is the center of it's own metro area.

Also, people forget about events at the Civic Center and arts based offerings in the area: Glens Falls is full of things to do, delicious restaurants, and numerous places to shop for everyone in your family or friends.

Glens Falls, NY - Official Website - Living In

Old 08-11-2011, 01:19 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
ss20ts, you beat me to the punch about Queensbury and how people forget that Glens Falls is the center of it's own metro area.

Quote:
Also, people forget about events at the Civic Center and arts based offerings in the area: Glens Falls is full of things to do, delicious restaurants, and numerous places to shop for everyone in your family or friends.
Glens Falls has a lot to offer! You just have to get out there and find it! It's not going to come and knock on your door for a playdate.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post

Glens Falls has a lot to offer! You just have to get out there and find it! It's not going to come and knock on your door for a playdate.
Basically..... Why not go to a Phantoms game, a play or gallery. Then, Saratoga Springs is right there too.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Actually Queensbury is part of the Glens Falls MSA and not the Capitol Region. Never has been. This isn't Long Island or NYC. You really can't compare the two areas. The only thing they have in common is that they are in New York.
Queensbury indeed is part of the Capitol Region. How can you say otherwise? We are a suburb of Albany - which is in the Capital Region.

Quote:
Queensbury actually is a town and has been since 1786. It's also the county seat of Warren County. It was named in honor of Queen Charlotte.

//www.city-data.com/city/Queensbury-New-York.html
I'm fully aware that Queensbury is a town, and am aware of it's history - I live here - remember? What I am saying is, there isn't actually a "town" to drive through. Queensbury is made up of 2 or 3 main roads with everything from a Lowe's on it, to a coffee shop.

Quote:
People in Queensybury aren't laid back compared to folks in SC! The hustle and bustle of NYC and the surrounding areas doesn't happen anywhere else.
I've been to SC, and have experienced nothing but hospitaltity, and things done in a timely fashion. I can only speak for the Charleston area of SC. It makes sense, because Charleston is largely made up of New Yorkers. I realize that NYC and surrounding areas of NYC have a higher "hustle and bustle" of NYC - however, I am comparing Long Island and Queensbury. And between the two, it's night and day.

Quote:
It isn't extremely cold in Queensbury for 8 months of the year! What do you call the weather in Minnesota? Which is far colder than NY.
It's not extremely cold in Queensbury for 8 months out of the year? I've experienced it for the most part of 18 years I've lived here. Starting in September, nights get down to around 40 degrees. Last winter in Albany it snowed LITERALLY every single day, with the average tempature of 5 degrees. There were weeks where we were at LEAST 5 below. That's cold in my opinion. Of course Minnesora is colder in NY, but - why are we talking about Minnesota? Totally irrelevant. In that case, Alaska is colder than Minnesota!

Quote:
I now live in SC and the extreme heat isn't 2 months long. Whoever told you that LIED. My a/c has been on since mid-April and will be on until Thanksgiving. It was 80 degrees on Halloween last year.
I am familar with Charleston and it's weather patterns. Yes, it was 80 degrees last year in October.

Quote:
If you think Queensbury is laid back, boy are you in for a rude awakening in SC. Everyone here is on Southern time. You think getting a plumber to show up is a challenge up there? Oh just you wait! I've wait for days for phone calls back and then they never show up for a few WEEKS
I don't "think" Queensbury is laid back - I KNOW it's laid back. I've lived here almost 20 years to come to that conclusion. Hell, the locals here themselves joke about it! Are there other areas where it is more laid back? - absolutely. But again, the original poster is comparing Long Island to Queensbury - not Long Island, to Queensbury, to SC.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:00 PM

Queensbury is a suburb of Glens Falls, not Albany. Glens Falls has its own metro and isn't a part of the Albany metro. I liken it to how Ithaca and Utica are considered Central NY, but have their own metros instead of being a part of the Syracuse metro. Glens Falls metropolitan area

As for SC, which is where my mom is from, is very slow outside of the major cities there(which aren't too rat race like at all).

Old 08-11-2011, 05:58 PM

A suburb is a LARGE city within driving distance - thus being Albany

Old 08-11-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
A suburb is a LARGE city within driving distance - thus being Albany
That's a new one and if that is the case, what is Glens Falls? Seeing that it is the center city of it's own metro, it doesn't make sense to say that any of the immediate communities are suburbs of Albany. There are different dynamics at play versus LI/NYC.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
That's a new one and if that is the case, what is Glens Falls? Seeing that it is the center city of it's own metro, it doesn't make sense to say that any of the immediate communities are suburbs of Albany. There are different dynamics at play versus LI/NYC.
My definition of a suburb (amongst many others would agree I'm sure), is a large city within commute of the area you live in. What generally makes a suburb a suburb is the commute. If people in small towns and cities commute to a nearby BIG city (ie: Albany), then the small town becomes a suburb.

Yes, by definition Glens Falls is a "city" - but c'mon, if you've ever been though Glens Falls, a half mile stretch of Rt 9 can barely be considered a "city" by any means.

So, by what you are saying, Lake George (a village), and Queensbury (a town) are suburbs of Glens Falls? No way.

Direct from answers.com..
"suburbs The usually residential region around a major city; the environs."

Glens Falls? A "major" city? Sorry, but no way. I must respectfully disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area