U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 10:09 AM

8 posts, read 21,318 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am looking to move off Long Island, I have narrowed our move down to the Albany area(suburbs), possibly Queensbury. I have been doing some research, however I would like to talk to people from the Queensbury area, or from the Albany area, and find out which towns are best for my family.

I have kids, so I would like good schools, close to shopping and a hospital. I would like to know the average weather up there. Are the winters really bad? I'd like to make some friends, and talk to realtors before I come up to visit the area.

Any suggestions would be very helpful! Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 03:09 PM

95 posts, read 174,913 times
I don't know anything about Queensbury. I live in the Albany area and would highly recommend the town of Colonie. It is great schools, low taxes, close to the best shopping in the area and it is the most like LI of the whole Albany area. I am originally from LI as well and love Colonie.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:22 AM

263 posts, read 581,580 times
Queensbury is not a suburb of Albany, its 1 hour away... its a sprawling Town with no personality, no center of town, just a lot of outlets and stores around rt9. Location is close to Lake george and Saratoga springs, why live there? Schools are good, ( like most areas up here)there are better options closer to Albany, Ballston Spa, Clifton Park, Colonie, Niskayuna, and Albany proper.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:19 PM

8 posts, read 21,318 times
Thank you. I will look into Colonie and the other Albany areas.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:40 PM

69,628 posts, read 96,460,288 times
Queensbury is a suburb of Glens Falls, which is it's own metro area.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:17 PM

267 posts, read 905,827 times
I like Glens Falls, I think it's cute downtown. Queensbury has a lot of restaurants and shopping. I love the Adirondacks, so living there it would be a short drive to the mountains. I'd say find a job first and go from there. Our winters in the Albany area vary from year to year. This past winter we had a lot of snow, in my opinion it was great. Lots of ice skating, sledding and snow shoeing. Other years we can have very little snow and it can be bitter cold, which I find to be the worst kind of winter. When you move up this way, just find a winter sport you enjoy and the winter passes quickly.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:54 PM

13,949 posts, read 12,929,584 times
Where will you work? Find a job and ten worry about where to live. No point in moving some place if you can't get a job.

And what's winter like? It's all a matter of personal tastes. I used to hate winter living in Upstate NY. I now live in SC and I'd gladly take winter over 8+months of this insane heat. Snow would be so refreshing right about now! 100 degrees today and that will be the coolest day of the week!

Old 08-01-2011, 04:22 PM

263 posts, read 581,580 times
The Jobs are in the Albany area.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:17 PM

13,949 posts, read 12,929,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland 544 View Post
The Jobs are in the Albany area.
The Albany area can be a rather area. Not everyone considers the same thing the Albany area. Some consider the Capitol Region which includes Clifton Park and Amsterdam as the Albany area.

With a job in Albany, the commute from Queensbury would REALLY suck! It would be well over an hour. Traffic around Clifton Park is a crawl at rush hour. Latham can also crawl into Colonie. If there's an accident or weather, it's crazy long! It's taken me an hour to get to Clifton Park from Latham during rush hour more than once. And that's without an accident or weather.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:30 PM

267 posts, read 905,827 times
I agree w/the above. If you are working in let's say the Albany, Schenectady, Troy area - what I consider the Capital Region, I would NOT live in Queensbury. It can take me a solid 1/2 hour to get to Clifton Park from Sch'dy at rush hour. My husband has had jobs in Saratoga - a good 40-45 minutes from Sch'dy; same w/getting to Albany. Traffic, parking and walking to his office always added extra time to his commute. I think if you could find certain things that you like about the Queensbury/Glens Falls area much closer to Albany. Honestly depending upon where specifically you are going to work would definetly factor into where I'd suggest looking for a home. Like if you were working in Troy I might suggest E. Greenbush; but I wouldn't have made the same suggestion of E. Greenbush if you worked in Sch'dy, it's too far in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area