U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 12:49 PM

175 posts, read 403,578 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We have a 7th grader and 1st grader who are currently enrolled in catholic school. Any information about the catholic schools in or around Albany would be helpful

Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 02:04 PM

263 posts, read 571,029 times
Catholic Schools in the Albany area are generally viewed as excellent alternatives, Bishop Maginn, Blessed sacrement, All saints all great Schools .

List of Catholic schools in New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-31-2011, 02:08 PM

65,822 posts, read 91,703,493 times
Here you go: Home

Also, Bishop Gibbons in Schenectady has grades 6-12. LaSalle in Troy is all boys and has grades 6-12. Christian Brothers Academy located in Colonie also is all boys and has grades 6-12. All girls Holy Names in Albany has grades Pre K-12. Co-ed, but mostly girls Catholic Central in Troy has grades 7-12. Bishop Maginn in Albany has grades 9-12 is the most diverse Catholic HS and is co-ed. There's also Saratoga Springs Catholic Central(aka Spa Catholic), which has grades 6-12.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:56 PM

24 posts, read 100,798 times
You might also check out Holy Spirit in East Greenbush if that's not too far from Albany. I've heard good things about it.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:39 PM

335 posts, read 762,454 times
Let me begin by saying that what I write here is purely based on visiting a few schools and general conversation with parents. I urge you to take what I say with a grain of salt and visit the schools themselves.

That said, there are many excellent choices in Catholic schools around the area. Academy of Holy Names (girls) & LaSalle and Christian Brothers Academy (boys) are not diocesan schools, but are run by orders. They don't get the same subsidies from the diocese, and are therefore quite a bit more expensive than the other Catholic schools in the area. Please note that there are two LaSalle schools. The one in Albany is a residential school for hard-to-place youth (severe family problems, drug problems, discipline problems). It is completely separate from the LaSalle School in Troy, which is a regular middle/high school.

All of the Catholic elementary schools have good reputations. The one with the best reputation in Albany County is St. Pius. It is big - as big, if not bigger, than many public elementary schools. St. Pius and St. Thomas in Delmar tend to cater to well-off families. Mater Christi School in Albany (formerly St. Catherine's) is smaller and mainly middle class. Parents seem very happy with the school, but it recently merged with another nearby Catholic School, St. Theresa's. Both the church and the school at St. Theresa's closed, so there have obviously been some pains associated with the merger. Blessed Sacrament in Albany has a diverse student body, both racially and socioeconomically. They put a big emphasis on community service. I have been to several Holy Week services where the Blessed Sacrament middle school students have played a big role, and they have always been moving. The students take it very seriously.

Another school in Albany that I don't know much about is Holy Cross. I think technically St. Theresa's kids (described above) were supposed to move over to Holy Cross, but many went to Mater Christi because it is just down the street from where St. Theresa's was.

Another poster mentioned Holy Spirit in East Greenbush. This school has an award-winning principal and has received accolades from both the Catholic and non-Catholic school community. I think it is small and down-to-earth.

Christian Brothers Academy (CBA), LaSalle & Bishop Maginn are all known for good sports teams. CBA & LaSalle are rivals, and LaSalle is known as being the more academically-oriented, but I have know idea if that is a fair assessment. Both CBA & LaSalle have a bit of a military bent - military type uniforms, drill, strong discipline. I do know that at least one of them did not allow a Catholic conscientious objector to speak at the school.

I have been impressed with the campus and faculty at the Academy of Holy Names. However, I have heard from more than one parent that they pulled their daughters from AHN because there was too much emphasis on material goods by the students and that their more middle class or eccentric daughters felt ostracized. I don't think the school is to blame, though; it may merely be due to the fact that tuition is high so there is a higher concentration of wealthier students than at other schools.

Bishop Maginn has gone through a number of administrative changes in recent years. It will be a couple of years before your oldest will be old enough for this school, which starts in 9th grade, so check back at that time to see how things are going. The complaint about some of the former administrators was that they cared more about sports than academics, but I believe that is no longer the case.

I have heard good things about Catholic Central in Troy and even know people in Albany who send their kids there. It is more low-key than the other schools and doesn't get as much press, but it sounds like students get a good, solid education there. There are a good number of students at each grade level, so a variety of courses can be offered.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:44 PM

335 posts, read 762,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland 544 View Post
Catholic Schools in the Albany area are generally viewed as excellent alternatives, Bishop Maginn, Blessed sacrement, All saints all great Schools .

All Saints is the new name of Holy Cross. It can be confusing when researching schools. Mater Christi = the former St. Catherine's; All Saints = the former Holy Cross. Any other mergers or renamings that I am forgetting?

Old 08-02-2011, 07:40 AM

175 posts, read 403,578 times
Thank you so much for the information. It gives me a great start. We have two girls but I am sure the private catholic schools would be out of our budget. Our oldest daughter's interests are musical and drama, so sports programs are not a priority.

Thank you again

Old 08-03-2011, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarchivist98 View Post
Let me begin by saying that what I write here is purely based on visiting a few schools and general conversation with parents. I urge you to take what I say with a grain of salt and visit the schools themselves.

That said, there are many excellent choices in Catholic schools around the area. Academy of Holy Names (girls) & LaSalle and Christian Brothers Academy (boys) are not diocesan schools, but are run by orders. They don't get the same subsidies from the diocese, and are therefore quite a bit more expensive than the other Catholic schools in the area. Please note that there are two LaSalle schools. The one in Albany is a residential school for hard-to-place youth (severe family problems, drug problems, discipline problems). It is completely separate from the LaSalle School in Troy, which is a regular middle/high school.

All of the Catholic elementary schools have good reputations. The one with the best reputation in Albany County is St. Pius. It is big - as big, if not bigger, than many public elementary schools. St. Pius and St. Thomas in Delmar tend to cater to well-off families. Mater Christi School in Albany (formerly St. Catherine's) is smaller and mainly middle class. Parents seem very happy with the school, but it recently merged with another nearby Catholic School, St. Theresa's. Both the church and the school at St. Theresa's closed, so there have obviously been some pains associated with the merger. Blessed Sacrament in Albany has a diverse student body, both racially and socioeconomically. They put a big emphasis on community service. I have been to several Holy Week services where the Blessed Sacrament middle school students have played a big role, and they have always been moving. The students take it very seriously.

Another school in Albany that I don't know much about is Holy Cross. I think technically St. Theresa's kids (described above) were supposed to move over to Holy Cross, but many went to Mater Christi because it is just down the street from where St. Theresa's was.

Another poster mentioned Holy Spirit in East Greenbush. This school has an award-winning principal and has received accolades from both the Catholic and non-Catholic school community. I think it is small and down-to-earth.

Christian Brothers Academy (CBA), LaSalle & Bishop Maginn are all known for good sports teams. CBA & LaSalle are rivals, and LaSalle is known as being the more academically-oriented, but I have know idea if that is a fair assessment. Both CBA & LaSalle have a bit of a military bent - military type uniforms, drill, strong discipline. I do know that at least one of them did not allow a Catholic conscientious objector to speak at the school.

I have been impressed with the campus and faculty at the Academy of Holy Names. However, I have heard from more than one parent that they pulled their daughters from AHN because there was too much emphasis on material goods by the students and that their more middle class or eccentric daughters felt ostracized. I don't think the school is to blame, though; it may merely be due to the fact that tuition is high so there is a higher concentration of wealthier students than at other schools.

Bishop Maginn has gone through a number of administrative changes in recent years. It will be a couple of years before your oldest will be old enough for this school, which starts in 9th grade, so check back at that time to see how things are going. The complaint about some of the former administrators was that they cared more about sports than academics, but I believe that is no longer the case.

I have heard good things about Catholic Central in Troy and even know people in Albany who send their kids there. It is more low-key than the other schools and doesn't get as

much press, but it sounds like students get a good, solid education there. There are a good number of students at each grade level, so a variety of courses can be offered.

Do you know anything about Bishop Gibbons-Notre Dame in Schenectady?

A thing people might not know about Albany Diocese schools is that

Old 08-03-2011, 02:30 AM

(continued) smaller cities like Amsterdam(Bishop Scully), Gloversville(Bishop Burke), Glens Falls(St. Mary's), Catskill(St. Patrick's), Hoosick Falls(St. Mary's Academy) and Little Falls(St. Mary's) were high schools until about 1990. Saratoga Catholic Central(it was called St. Peter's at the time) is the remaining small city/village catholic HS left from that era. So, that gives an idea of how Catholic the area is/was. Can't forget Cohoes Keveny and Rensselaer St. John's too.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:05 AM

26,590 posts, read 57,240,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
(continued) smaller cities like Amsterdam(Bishop Scully), Gloversville(Bishop Burke), Glens Falls(St. Mary's), Catskill(St. Patrick's), Hoosick Falls(St. Mary's Academy) and Little Falls(St. Mary's) were high schools until about 1990. Saratoga Catholic Central(it was called St. Peter's at the time) is the remaining small city/village catholic HS left from that era. So, that gives an idea of how Catholic the area is/was. Can't forget Cohoes Keveny and Rensselaer St. John's too.
And St. Agnes in Cohoes as well. (Elementary)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area