U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2011, 11:46 PM

2 posts, read 13,018 times

Advertisements

I recently got a job at Albany Medical Center and i need to start looking for an apartment ASAP. I would like to know of areas that are close to Albany med that are SAFE, nice, and are not too far from social activities. somewhere that is close to public transit would also be nice since i dont have a car. Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 06:31 AM

69,397 posts, read 96,177,967 times
Maybe Center Square, Delaware Ave., Pine Hills and Helderburg.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:34 AM

Here's some apartment info.: Renters Guide - Albany Apartments in New York and Albany, NY Apartment Complexes (http://www.rentersguidealbany.com/index.cfm?CFID=3089618&CFTOKEN=76093885&page=brows e - broken link)

Search

Old 09-12-2011, 08:51 PM

334 posts, read 777,405 times
Pretty much anywhere along New Scotland Ave is safe and easy to get to Albany Med. The further away you get from Albany Med towards Bethlehem, the more suburban-y it gets. The 13 bus runs frequently during the day and drops off at Holland Ave. Its route MAY change later this year, but if it does, it will go the length of New Scotland Ave and turn onto Madison, so it will be even more convenient to Albany Med.

The New Scotland Ave area isn't super-exciting, but there are some things to do. There's a commercial strip near AMC with several restaurants, convenience stores, bank, etc. Next week a gastropub run by Kevin Everleth, the popular chef at The Wine Bar on Lark St., is supposed to open on New Scotland Ave, so that will add a little bit of trendiness. Although there are several grocery stores nearby, they may be a bit of a pain to get to without a car, especially in winter. You can take Bus #13 all the way to the end to a very big grocery store in Slingerlands, although stores on Madison Ave & Delaware Ave & possibly Central - depending where you are on New Scotland - closer.

Adams Park are older townhouse rentals near New Scotland Ave. in a safe part of town. Stonehenge Gardens is in a super-safe neighborhood, possibly the nicest in Albany. I've rented in another complex run by the same management company (Tri-City Rentals), and they were very responsive. It is more difficult to get around by public transportation from Stonehenge, though.

There are also lots of two and three family houses scattered throughout the neighborhood. I've noticed several "for rent" signs recently, so you should be able to find something.

The Pine Hills neighborhood has a grocery store on Madison Ave, and bus #10 will get you close to Albany Med. You have to be careful where you rent there, though, because many of the rentals go to students, and some areas can be very loud and have broken glass and trash strewn about on the weekends.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:02 PM

4 posts, read 23,513 times
I would not recommend living on New Scotland. It is kinda run down. It's gotten a little better in recent years, but there are plenty of apartments off of Washington Ave, Dove St, Madison Ave and others near AMC.

A block from AMC is Washington Park. A fairly big park with dog walking areas, playground equipment for kids, fountains, and a lot of beautiful flora.

Every spring they have the annual Tulip Fest. The tulips are gorgeous and they have live enterainment with vendors and other things going on. They also have an annual light display around Christmas time for several weeks where you drive through the park to see the lights and an indoor area with some vendors and Santa to take pics with for the kids.

There are also a lot of bars/clubs and shops within a few blocks of AMC, as well as the Empire State Plaza, NYS Museum and an opera house called "The Egg." It's an odd looking peice of architecture, but it as an amazing venue to see a concert.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkona View Post
I would not recommend living on New Scotland. It is kinda run down.
Huge clarification needed on this quote. New Scotland within a couple of blocks of AMC does have rundown housing. However, most of this area is retail/hospital/commercial - Albany Law School, Sage College, medical office buildings, Capital District Psychiatric Center. Once you continue west of this area, it quickly turns into one of the lowest crime, highest owner-occupied housing areas of the city. Granted, it also becomes more boring - it is an area more aimed at families and senior citizens than a young singles crowd.

Since this neighborhood is often recommended on this forum, I wanted to make sure people knew that the neighborhood didn't suddenly have a recent downturn.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:02 PM

688 posts, read 1,154,543 times
Try the area across the bridge - very close but safer - Delamar / bethlehem / Glenmont / Elsinor

Old 10-01-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marska View Post
Try the area across the bridge - very close but safer - Delamar / bethlehem / Glenmont / Elsinor
How is the public transportation in those areas?

Also, Whitehall might work too.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:49 PM

506 posts, read 924,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marska View Post
What bridge do you cross to get to those areas?

Old 10-02-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exupstateny View Post
What bridge do you cross to get to those areas?
I don't know if the bridge has a name - it's Delaware Ave where it crosses the Normanskill. The #18 bus goes there. Currently, the 18 does not run on Sundays, although the new CDTA plan for Albany County proposes #18 bus service extended to Sunday. I know several people who ride their bike to work along this road. It is a busy road, but lots of lights, so pretty safe for biking. I let my teenage daughter bike it.

If your highest criteria is safety, then Delmar might be a good choice. If you are single, though, this may not be the best place for you. It is very geared to families. If you look at the crime maps, there are neighborhoods in Albany that have similar crime rates to Delmar - Upper New Scotland, Buckingham Pond area, upper Western Ave. The further you get from Albany Med, though, the trickier public transportation & easy walking to errands gets and the further you are from restaurants, clubs, the arts, etc.

Crime rates in all Albany neighborhoods, even those I would not recommend, has been decreasing, so keep that in mind when looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area