U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2011, 06:59 PM

13 posts, read 31,809 times

Advertisements

My family of 4 will be moving to the area soon from northern Alabama. We have a 4th grader and a 7th grader. I grew up in NYC and my husband is from Long Island, but my children have never lived in NY before.

My husband will be working in Malta and I will be looking for a job after we get settled. I'm guessing most jobs for me will be in Albany so we want to live in a place that will have good commutes for both of us, but also good schools for the kids. I am interested in good academics, but also the big picture. Don't care about sports, but about how well the schools are run, how do they handle bullying, etc. I've narrowed down to North Colonie, Burnt Hills, Balston Spa and Saratoga - but open to other areas too. Also wondering what the Jewish population is in these school systems as I hope my kids won't be the only ones not celebrating Christmas (Which is what they now experience living in Alabama).

TIA,
June
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 08:35 PM

69,705 posts, read 96,526,310 times
Niskayuna.....Enough said. It is a very good school district that is between Schenectady and Saratoga County. So, you would be in a great location in terms of getting to Malta, but to also get to Albany or Schenectady for work or things to do. Schenectady Jewish Community Center - SJCC

Niskayuna Central School District - Niskayuna, New York

Niskayuna Central School District in Schenectady, NY | GreatSchools

Old 09-19-2011, 09:14 PM

506 posts, read 925,512 times
The commute from Burnt Hills, Ballston Spa or Saratoga to Albany can be problematic if you cannot work a 7:00 to 3:00 shift. Any start times between 8:00 and 9:30 and end times between 4:00 and 5:30 often result in much longer commute times. Of course, it is all relative. This opinion is from someone that lived in the Capital Region for their whole working life. For someone used to the commute in a large metropolitan area, it may not seem that bad. I think the best area as far as the commute is concerned would be Colonie because your husband would be going against the main flow of traffic for his commute and you would be close to Albany and you would not have to cross one of the bridges across the Mohawk River. Niskayuna would not be that bad either, but that is further from Albany than Colonie. Make sure you check into the difference in property taxes also, that would probably be where Saratoga County would be more desirable. Every area has its advantages and disadvantages.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:41 PM

Smile Middle/High School Reputations

Thanks for your input. Information from people who actually live in the area is invaluable. I think I am leaning towards North Colonie, but until we actually go up there and look around it's hard to say. Also wanted to know if there is any appreciable difference between the elementary schools in these districts. In terms of the high schools what are their local reputations - not just academic, but socially, etc.

June

Old 09-20-2011, 03:59 PM

334 posts, read 778,445 times
Albany & Bethlehem schools get the High Holy Days off. I think other districts do too - that might tell you a bit about how many other Jewish students there are.

Don't know much about the social scene at most of the school districts except North Colonie. I know some that love it and some that hate it there. The sense I get is the students work hard and also party hard. I have a co-worker that was bullied horribly there, but this was before bullying was taken so seriously. Recently it became a requirement that all schools institute an anti-bullying curriculum, so you may want to ask what North Colonie uses. I know one girl who moved to Shaker (N Colonie) from Albany and is having a difficult time socially, but again, I think that may be an isolated situation. I live in the Albany District, and many parents have told me that their kids have had culture shock when they have moved from our relatively poor district to one where many students are oozing with money, like N Colonie. If your kids went to school in a more upscale district in Alabama, it will likely not be an issue with them. They will already know the lingo, styles and social cues of more well-off kids.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:27 PM

What kind of work can you do, as it could help determine where you can look in terms of work.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:05 PM

I have many years experience as a mainframe programmer, but have been home with my children for 9 years now. That, along with the shift to newer technologies may be obstacles. However, my sense is that any possible jobs for me would be in Albany, or maybe Schnectady.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:18 PM

Perhaps these listings could be possible options: Mainframe Programmer Jobs - Albany, NY - NY Job Openings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area