Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2007, 06:15 PM

5 posts, read 19,553 times

Advertisements

Hi-
My fiance and I want to move to the mountains in upstate New York and need some help. We love the Adirondack area, but that is probably too far to commute to Albany. Basically I'm in the legal field and I need to live near a city in order to make any kind of money. So thats why we were thinking Albany. The problem is, we want to live in a secluded country/mountain setting. I am willing to commute up to 45 mins. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what towns we could live in? I found some nice houses in Cobleskill, would that be too far to commute to albany? And is Cobleskill a mountainous area? Any help would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 06:48 PM

14 posts, read 52,465 times
Cobleskill is hilly not really mountainous. For those - at least what passes as mountains in this area look east toward Stephentown, Berlin, Petersburg or head down south toward Westerlo. A great tool to download is Google Earth. You can see pictures of the actual terrain with associated elevations. This will provide you a good perspective.

Dan in NY

Old 08-08-2007, 12:27 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
check into Greene County. It's an easy, hassle-free 50 minute commute to Albany, straight up the Thruway. You'd be going opposite the traffic, which makes it a smooth commute.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:22 PM

52 posts, read 246,315 times
I live very close to Cobleskill, and I commute into Albany. Actually I work very close to the Albany Airport. The commute usually takes me 40-45 minutes depending (35 miles), but it is all drive time - no sitting in traffic time. I am originally a dreaded downstater, where an hour or more commute is standard, so my commute seems a breeze. It seems as though many people up in the Capital Region feel that a half an hour commute is excessive. It's all subjective I suppose.

Housing prices are very reasonable in the Schoharie/Cobleskill area, though they have definitely risen in the last couple of years. Real estate used to be a steal! It is still fairly easy to find a home with considerable acreage if that is your preference. Rolling hills, open farmland, dense wooded areas are all found in the Schoharie Valley. Feel free to PM with any questions.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:43 PM

12 posts, read 49,055 times
there are not really any mountains close to albany like you are thinking. albany is very urban and although it does not take long to get into the nice sections and the suburbs, it is a long drive to the adirondaks and to the counties you would like to have a home in. i would say at least 1 hour drive if you want to live in the adirondaks and work as a lawyer in the downtown area of albany. just because it is upstate does not mean everything is mountainous by any means=)

Old 08-17-2007, 11:28 PM

7 posts, read 35,937 times
Try living south of cherry plains state park, east of albany, off of i90. 15 to 20 minute commute to downtown... Berkshire mountains are in your back yard..... Saratoga is about 30 minutes... and housing (and property) is reasonable.
Google earth it, and mapquest it....
Ive live around albany for years... so....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
View detailed profiles of: