Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2011, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,861 times

Advertisements

So I'll be moving to Albany and was searching for suburban areas around the city. I've narrowed my choice to either...

The Mansions at Delmar $1300/month total with Internet/cable/heat/water/garage:

(The Mansions)
63 Mansion Boulevard, Delmar, New York 120543

or

The Woods in Brunswick $1300/month total with Internet/cable/heat/water/garage:

(The Woods Apartments in Albany NY - Home)
The Woods Apartments in Albany NY
400 Brunswick Drive, Brunswick, NY 12180

Both complexes seem very nice but The Woods is pretty much BRAND NEW with upscale kitchens and appliances. Any insight on 2 of these complexes and any downsides of living in either Delmare or Brunswick?? Thanks for your help....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 01:32 PM

506 posts, read 1,022,078 times
Default Hoosick Street

Hoosick Street can become quite the bottleneck at normal commute times. If your commute is from Brunswick to anywhere on the other side of the Hudson River it's hard to avoid it.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,800 times
Default The Woods

[SIZE=3]I know that the Delmar Mansions have been up and running for 10 years and The Woods is BRAND NEW, not even fully completed yet. The Woods has huge garages for an SUV and it even comes with an additional storage space in the garage. The area is great and the views outstanding. I would suspect that Tri City Rentals with their many apartment communities in the area (24 total) would build this new luxury apartment community in a well-researched area and with the features and amenities that today’s renters are demanding. I think The Woods is the better choice! [/SIZE]

Old 11-10-2011, 05:18 AM

4 posts, read 5,695 times
I haven't seen the Mansions, but I've taken a look at the Woods. The apartments seem nice -- plenty of space, open floor plan, granite counter tops, steel appliances. There are a few quibbles, though. First, the flooring isn't actual hardwood, but a laminate. If you look around, you can see a few lumps here or there where they laid the laminate over "things" that I can't determine. The molding is nice to look at, but is made of what is evidently some sort of cardboard, and not wood. If you look closely, you can see some evidence of how hastily they've been completing the place -- the lip of the door not lining up properly with the door frame on some front doors, the metal bar on the blinds coming loose from its mooring from time to time, etc. I'm sure if you looked with a critical eye at the Mansions, you'd see similar stuff.

Hoosick Drive is also a big pain. If you want to get past the worst part, you can use route 2 (Brunswick Rd.) on the other side of the city and take South Lake over, which gets you past the 4 lane portion that is inexplicably worse than the 3 lane portion. Shopping options are limited but sufficient -- you're within walking distance of a Wal-Mart and a Price Chopper and a few strip malls, with sidewalks to both of them and with management installing sidewalks on the property as we speak. If you want to buy anything that isn't available in a low-end grocery store or a regular (non-super) Wal-Mart, though, you'll need to drive to Latham Farms, Colonie Center, or Crossgates. The city of Troy has a farmer's market on Saturdays and I think Wednesdays that is pretty nice, and there's a great bakery on Brunswick Rd. on the other side of town that has pretty good bread.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:08 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,540,240 times
Where will you be working? If your'e working in Saratoga, both would stink for a commute! But if you're working in Albany, I'd definitely say Delmar. Working in Rensselaer? Go for Troy.

The commute down Hoosick Street can be the pits. And it seems like they're rebuilding and reconfiguring that road every few years. Construction on there makes it a nightmare. Delmar is pretty close to I90 and I87. And has less traffic issues than Troy. Also if you go to Glenmont instead of Guilderland for things like WalMart, Lowe's, etc It's a heck of a lot easier!

Do you have kids? Troy schools completely suck compared to Bethlehem. What do you like to do for fun? Book clubs, coffee shops, cafes, antiquing? Things like that tend be a lot better closer to home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area