Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 03:24 PM

28 posts, read 82,002 times

Advertisements

@exupstateny: I totally hear what you're saying.

Our current house is at the corner of a secondary intersection which is also a bus route and a well-traveled pedestrian route to the ferry (the Staten Island Ferry, that is). The property measures 72' wide by 122' deep, and the 122' deep is on the hill that leads down to the waterfront, a block away. That, as you can imagine, is a lot of shoveling. Sometimes I pay; sometimes I shovel. But never again will I (1) buy a corner house; (2) buy a frame house; (3) live on a bus route, convenient though it is; (4) have more than two tenants or (5) have a lot of sidewalk to shovel.

My wife is the driver in the family. Like many New York City natives, I learned to drive later in my life (late 20s) and stopped completely in my early 50s. I now walk or take the ferry, the bus and the train. My wife will drive me if necessary, but we made an agreement when I stopped driving that she would not become my chauffeur (chauffeuse?), and we've both honored that agreement pretty much. That's why being in a neighborhood rated 'Very Walkable' on the Zillow site is hugely important. Access to bus lines into nearby cities, particularly Albany, is obviously very important as well.

Your post reminded me to check out public transit, which I will do now. Thanks for your comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 03:33 PM

Default Very kind of you to share all this info

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Here's more information on Washington Park: Washington Park Association of Troy, NY

Washington Park Neighborhood Troy NY (http://troyny.gov/neighborhoods/washingtonpark.html - broken link)

Dan, maybe this is what you are looking for and it is close to the temple and Washington Park: Pottery District Troy NY (http://troyny.gov/neighborhoods/potterydistrict.html - broken link)

Here's a great neighborhood guide for Troy: Troy NY Neighborhoods (http://troyny.gov/neighborhoods.html - broken link)
Dear cdkhthankgod,

You're making this task so much easier, for which I offer my sincere thanks. Upstate has a knowledgeable emissary in you.

Dan Icolari

Old 10-31-2011, 08:35 PM

334 posts, read 851,371 times
Quote:
This neighborhood might work too: Osgood Neighborhood Troy NY (http://troyny.gov/neighborhoods/Osgood.html - broken link)
Well, what do you know - I never heard of this neighborhood before this week, and now it's on this forum and the Times-Union House of the Week is also in this neighborhood! Based on some of the comments on the Times Union blog entry, it sounds like it might be the sort of neighborhood you are looking for.

The one problem with Troy if you don't have a car is the lack of grocery stores. I'm not sure where one is on the bus line. Albany has grocery stores in its urban neighborhoods. They are made fun of for being "ghetto" or "student," but they are regular grocery stores, not bodegas, and I've never had any problems with them.

A neighborhood that definitely has the sort of community feel you talk about is Center Square in Albany. I know folks who have moved there from NYC and are flabbergasted at how quick their neighbors invite them over. (I live uptown, and there's not quite the same openness here.) Another thing that downstaters say is a plus to living here is that you really can see that you make a difference. You can get to know your City Councilman, School Board member or whoever, and can push for changes and actually see them happen. Most natives around here don't feel that way - they feel it's all a big machine - but I think there is truth to "one person can make a difference," in Albany, and I'm sure the same is true with Troy. Center Square is a fair bit more pricey than Troy.

An interesting venue in Troy that I visited for the first time this weekend is EMPAC (Experimental Media and Performing Arts Center, I think)at RPI. Locals tend to forget about it because RPI isn't as integrated into the community as some of the other local colleges, but it looks like there are a lot of interesting things going on there.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Here's more information on Washington Park: Washington Park Association of Troy, NY

Washington Park Neighborhood Troy NY (http://troyny.gov/neighborhoods/washingtonpark.html - broken link)

Dan, maybe this is what you are looking for and it is close to the temple and Washington Park: Pottery District Troy NY (http://troyny.gov/neighborhoods/potterydistrict.html - broken link)

Here's a great neighborhood guide for Troy: Troy NY Neighborhoods (http://troyny.gov/neighborhoods.html - broken link)
Thanks again for these suggestions, ckhthankgod.

As I
suspected, Washington Park seems a bit pricey for us, and Osgood is rated only Somewhat Walkable on Zillow; whereas the Pottery District, both aesthetically and location-wise, seems like a good match. I liked the density, at least along Fourth Street (where, in the picture on Google Maps, I saw a bus!).

But what stands out in Troy, in every neighborhood, is the architectural diversity; everywhere you look (or everywhere I've looked), you see a crazy-quilt of styles and rooflines and surfacing materials and detail --- and so much of it intact!

All the signs (except maybe, in my wife's case, for the lower temperatures) are right. My research --- with your much appreciated assist --- continues.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:31 PM

93,104 posts, read 123,681,975 times
Here's a great website for looking at walkability scores: Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address

Old 11-01-2011, 01:37 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,522,797 times
There is a Co-op right in downtown Troy that I've shopped at before, so groceries are available. Although looking at their website, it looks as if sales aren't doing too well and they may be forced to close

Member Message | Troy Community Food Coop

Old 11-01-2011, 08:01 PM

334 posts, read 851,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
There is a Co-op right in downtown Troy that I've shopped at before, so groceries are available. Although looking at their website, it looks as if sales aren't doing too well and they may be forced to close

Member Message | Troy Community Food Coop
Unfortunately, it did close its doors last week.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:07 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,522,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarchivist98 View Post
Unfortunately, it did close its doors last week.
Oh no! That sucks!! It was a great store and very convenient being right in downtown. What a shame that it didn't last - it hadn't even been open for 2 years I don't think.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Here's a great website for looking at walkability scores: Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address
This is a great tool. Thanks.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:16 PM

Default Interesting observations from a Troy rabbi

Earlier this afternoon, I spoke to the rabbi of the local Reform congregation I wrote about earlier. What I learned is that not only is this a congregation of liberal (there, I said it) Jews, but increasingly it is a congregation of younger liberal Jews.

I asked the rabbi many of the same questions I've posed here. She drew her answers from her knowledge of her congregants.

She attributes a marked increase in the number of younger congregants to what she sees as a trend: Younger Jews, singles and couples, most but not all without children, are settling in Troy for many of the same reasons we're considering it: solid housing stock, higher education hub, an emerging arts and culture scene, walkability, lower housing and commuting costs, an architecturally distinctive environment. And they're getting involved in revitalizing their neighborhoods.

The big question is, What happens when these younger Jews have kids? Or when those kids reach school age? Will these families stick around and work to enrich local public schools, or create alternative ones; or will they retreat to the suburbs?

I guess we'll find out in due course. But in the meantime, this is another enthusiastic check-mark in the Troy! column.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area