Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 06:11 PM

95 posts, read 191,424 times

Advertisements

In the summer it is best to stay in a pool down south but there is a lot of problems there with sun burn even more than here......So have to be super careful with sunscreen down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 07:03 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshells72 View Post
In the summer it is best to stay in a pool down south but there is a lot of problems there with sun burn even more than here......So have to be super careful with sunscreen down there.
When the air temp has been over 100 for 3 weeks, what good is a pool? It's too hot to be refreshing. I don't even like going to the ocean in Charleston most of the year. It's too warm! I take baths cooler than the Atlantic. That's sad.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:34 PM

95 posts, read 191,424 times
I agree....mostly just stay indoors all summer the way many here do in the winter.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:57 AM

841 posts, read 1,917,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post

Wrong on all accounts! The Capitol Region has much more than governmental jobs. There's plenty in education - public, private, and secondary schools, medical field, insurance, the tech sector including the nanotech industry and IT, and there are plenty of small businesses around.

The area had a significantly lower unemployment rate than the state and the whole country for quite some time during this recession. That says quite the opposite of your post.
Sorry to burst your bubble but I don't see it. My husband looks for work actively every day and has a lot of skills and can't find anything.

Is there some secret website or some old boys network here?

Do you consider Wendy's jobs and Dollar Store jobs "good work?" These are the only 2 places hiring in my town.

Indeed comes up with NOTHING in my husband's range of work. Oh, wait, rude people at employment agencies who say they have jobs then pull them away do...?

Do you even LIVE in the Albany area??

Old 05-30-2012, 03:00 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Not old. Established, distinguished, and educated because of the amount of time there have ben people here. Lots of history here. Don't knock it!

Wrong on all accounts! The Capitol Region has much more than governmental jobs. There's plenty in education - public, private, and secondary schools, medical field, insurance, the tech sector including the nanotech industry and IT, and there are plenty of small businesses around.

The area had a significantly lower unemployment rate than the state and the whole country for quite some time during this recession. That says quite the opposite of your post.
I'm not knocking it for being old. I live in an even older city--Boston. So relax..

I'm saying that someone from Austin, TX, being a fairly modern community, might find the Albany-Schenectady-Troy area to be very old-looking. In addition, Albany is much cloudier than central Texas, and that does affect some people..

Old 05-30-2012, 09:25 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,035,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
Denver also has a lot more sunnier days than any place in Upstate New York, which IMO makes the winters more bareable. Temperatures normally aren't constantly 20 degrees or below in Denver during the winter either, which makes going from Albany to Denver an easier transition than Austin to Albany.
I grew up in Denver & have lived in the Capital District for over 25 yrs. I am STILL not used to the humidity here - in summer or winter! Growing up in CO, I remember many many snowstorms where we simply used a pushbroom to clean the sidewalks of snow. Here in upstate NY, if I don't get the shovel out in time, the moisture content freezes the snow like a glacial pack. Good luck getting that cleaned up!

I truly hope Alain Kayeleros (sp?) & his team will make the nanotech industry the savior this area needs. Even Global Foundries 30 minutes to the north has the potential to benefit Albany & the capital region; not just Saratoga County where they landed.

Our home values, our out-of-control tax situation, our lackluster amenities...even our collective morale all need an economical shot in the arm. When I first started looking to move out of NYS a few years ago, I felt like I almost had no choice. At least now there is a glimmer of hope. This really is a pretty area and is (relatively) convenient to major metro areas like NYC, Boston, & Montreal. There are pockets of architecture and scenic drives here that easily could compete with other, more prosperous areas of the country for national recognition and tourism. C'mon techies...check it out!!

Old 05-31-2012, 10:35 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble but I don't see it. My husband looks for work actively every day and has a lot of skills and can't find anything.

Is there some secret website or some old boys network here?

Do you consider Wendy's jobs and Dollar Store jobs "good work?" These are the only 2 places hiring in my town.

Indeed comes up with NOTHING in my husband's range of work. Oh, wait, rude people at employment agencies who say they have jobs then pull them away do...?

Do you even LIVE in the Albany area??
I lived in the Albany area for over 35 years and only moved away 2 years ago. I'm moving back this fall. So yes, I am VERY aware of life around Albany. More than you appear to be.

Just because your husband can't find work in his profession does NOT mean there aren't jobs. Many companies use recruiters and employment agencies. Have you looked into any of them? Check out ALL of the local papers for employment opportunities. Monster and Yahoo Careers also have jobs listed. Not all are scams.

There's this website as well. I actually have had a few jobs through this site.

Capital Area job search and jobs posting. Find a high quality employee. Find the perfect job.

What line of work is your husband in? Just because there's not a lot of jobs in your town in a particular field doesn't mean there aren't any in the area. Have you looked outside your town? Most people don't work and live in the same town.

And yes most jobs are through networks. People who you know and know others. My husband is in IT and 15 years ago he wouldn't have had a lot of opportunities outside of the company he was with. now through networking with dozens of people from all over the country, he has a lot of opportunities if he ever needs to find a new job. It takes time to build up those connections. A good work ethic helps and can go a long way. At one point, he had another company recruiting him, but he didn't take it.

This is from a guy who was a janitor to pay his way through college. One of the offices he cleaned, the staff really liked him. The president asked him if he had any interest in IT and what he was looking for. Next semester, my husband took those classes and was hired as a part time temp. Here we are 18 years later and he's been through mergers, relocation, 2 layoffs, 2 huge promotions, and he's still there. Not bad for the guy who started off cleaning the toilets!

You won't hear me say jobs at Dollar General and Wendy's aren't good jobs. No, it may not be someone's dream job. But for someone else it may be. I know a girl who worked at Taco Bell and worked her way up to Assistant Manager. Was it her dream job? Maybe not, but she had a child to feed and did whatever it took to provide for her. She also was going to SCCC for Culinary Arts full time while working 50+ hours a week. She didn't say it was the worst job in the world. She was quite happy there actually.

Many of those companies offer opportunities to be promoted and work in management. Yes, it takes time, but it is there. I know because I was promoted to management in 2 different stores. I didn't have a college education at that point so I worked hard. And today I've owned a couple of successful businesses and have been self employed for over a decade. Do I make a million bucks a year? No, but I'm happy.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:45 AM

I'm glad it's worked out for you. Good luck coming back here.

My husband is fed up with this area and we agreed before we came that if one of us wants to go, we will move.

As for the NEW AUSTIN quote...I keep getting reps from people who laugh when they read what I wrote.

Albany might be nice for some (and there are a bunch of nice towns here) but new Austin it's not. I keep laughing at people INSISTING there are a lot of jobs here.

It's probably the smoking capital of the state, I grant you. I never saw so many smokers. In my complex I say at least 85% of the people smoke. The ones who hold a cigarette and their babies at the same time, well, welcome to the 1950s..!!

We were up in Rochester area this week and there were a lot less smokers! Also there are more smoke free zones in front of buildings.

Unfortunately this place is just not for us so we'll be moving (somewhere) by the end of June. And, yeah, it's humid in NYS. We were melting up at the Finger Lakes on Tuesday. That's how it rolls in NY.

I'm not 100% down on here, because there are some nice towns around and if you have a decent job you can live a perfect suburban life much cheaper than down state. Good luck to all!!

Old 06-01-2012, 02:17 PM

93,263 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Did he apply to any of the postings sent to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
I'm glad it's worked out for you. Good luck coming back here.

My husband is fed up with this area and we agreed before we came that if one of us wants to go, we will move.

As for the NEW AUSTIN quote...I keep getting reps from people who laugh when they read what I wrote.

Albany might be nice for some (and there are a bunch of nice towns here) but new Austin it's not. I keep laughing at people INSISTING there are a lot of jobs here.

It's probably the smoking capital of the state, I grant you. I never saw so many smokers. In my complex I say at least 85% of the people smoke. The ones who hold a cigarette and their babies at the same time, well, welcome to the 1950s..!!

We were up in Rochester area this week and there were a lot less smokers! Also there are more smoke free zones in front of buildings.

Unfortunately this place is just not for us so we'll be moving (somewhere) by the end of June. And, yeah, it's humid in NYS. We were melting up at the Finger Lakes on Tuesday. That's how it rolls in NY.

I'm not 100% down on here, because there are some nice towns around and if you have a decent job you can live a perfect suburban life much cheaper than down state. Good luck to all!!

Old 06-03-2012, 06:04 PM

Yeah, thanks, he's gotten all the Indeed ones. Pretty much everything that is up there he's applied to.

Now it's just a waiting game while hunting down more companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area