Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 05:22 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,554 times

Advertisements

Could someone native to or familiar with the Capital Region describe the culture of that region, please? Does the culture, pace, feel, dynamics, etc. of Albany and the surrounding area more closely approximate New England to the east or Greater New York City to the south? For the most part, Greater New York City is very different from New England. Many people familiar with both New England and New York feel as though there is a noticeable difference between to the two regions that becomes evident almost immediately after crossing the Connecticut-New York state line. I've never been to New York's Capital District, but I'm assuming the differences between the Capital District and New England are not as prolific and noticeable as the differences between Greater New York City and New England. However, I could be wrong: That's why I'm starting this message thread! In the State of New York, I've never been north of Orange County, and my last trip up there was a while ago. Also, how are the people in the Albany area? Are they generally friendlier than New Englanders? Are the people in the area community-oriented? Do they value education as much as their neighbors in New England? Your responses will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 07:04 PM

334 posts, read 851,683 times
I'd say that it's more like New England. We have lived in New England, downstate and in the Midwest, and I would actually say that the Cap District is more Midwestern in feel than New England-y - unfortunately still retaining the byzantine government that the Northeast is famous for rather than the more effective Midwestern local government.

I am a native Bostonian, and I find people here to be much friendlier here than in greater Boston. You don't get the truly hostile people working in the service industry like you do in Boston. People are community-minded, but not quite as interested in the public good as I found people to be in the Midwest.

It's difficult for me to address the education mindset of people here. I grew up in New England, but am raising my kids here, which gives you a different point of view. The percentage of college grads is high in the Capital District. There isn't the same level of helicopter parenting as there is in the wealthier areas of New England, and there are fewer high pressure school districts here (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, in my mind.) NYS is known to be one of the states with a higher bar than most states on their standardized tests, but not as high as Massachusetts.

The area does not have the hustle-bustle feel of NYC, but NYC does have some influence. There are a lot of native downstaters that live here, and many more that come to Albany often for state work, and some of the arts, restaurants, etc. reflect that. Not people's attitudes so much, though. It seems the people I meet that are from downstate were eager to leave for a slower pace of life.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:51 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,826,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
Could someone native to or familiar with the Capital Region describe the culture of that region, please? Does the culture, pace, feel, dynamics, etc. of Albany and the surrounding area more closely approximate New England to the east or Greater New York City to the south? For the most part, Greater New York City is very different from New England. Many people familiar with both New England and New York feel as though there is a noticeable difference between to the two regions that becomes evident almost immediately after crossing the Connecticut-New York state line. I've never been to New York's Capital District, but I'm assuming the differences between the Capital District and New England are not as prolific and noticeable as the differences between Greater New York City and New England. However, I could be wrong: That's why I'm starting this message thread! In the State of New York, I've never been north of Orange County, and my last trip up there was a while ago. Also, how are the people in the Albany area? Are they generally friendlier than New Englanders? Are the people in the area community-oriented? Do they value education as much as their neighbors in New England? Your responses will be greatly appreciated.
The Capital Region is definitely more like New England. There are plenty of people who live here that are from the NYC, but as far as culture goes, it's not really too fast paced. New England's a bit more laid back than NYC with the exception of the drivers, but now that I really think about it, depending on where you are, the Capital Region has sort of a mix of both atmospheres.

For example, if you live right in Albany, you're probably going to see more of a New England atmosphere. However, if you're in Schenectady, there is a lot more people from NYC there so you'll see more of that type of thing. By the way, I do not recommend moving to Schenectady.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:54 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,713,676 times
in the atmosphere, I sense more of a New England atmosphere with some architecture and the way the area is set up. But other than that, the region is nothing like either. I see no resemblance to NYC at all. Albany is upstate NY.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:01 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,826,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
in the atmosphere, I sense more of a New England atmosphere with some architecture and the way the area is set up. But other than that, the region is nothing like either. I see no resemblance to NYC at all. Albany is upstate NY.
Absolutely agree. NYC is its own separate world to be honest.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:35 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,554 times
I find the drivers in downstate New York and northern New Jersey to be just as bad as the drivers in southwestern Connecticut, Greater Boston, and Rhode Island. The drivers in Maine, Vermont, most of New Hampshire, and western Massachusetts are much better than the drivers in the first three regions of New England that I listed. I agree that most, if not all, parts of northern New England and western Massachusetts are fairly laid back in comparison to Greater Boston and Greater New York City. Eastern Connecticut is a fairly laid back region, as well. People that I've met over the years from Greater Albany and other parts of Upstate New York seem somewhat friendlier and slightly more polite and outgoing than their New England counterparts. I think that the term "New England" is synonymous with terms such as "snobby," "elitist," "wealthy," "spoiled," "aloof," "cold," "rude," "impolite," etc. Similar to, yet different from how the term "New York" stirs confusion in the minds of many Americans living outside of New York because The City and the state share the same name. On another message thread I began a few months ago on the differences between Upstate New York and New England, a poster explained that "New England" has been a much better brand name than "Upstate New York." However, I do believe that the term "New England" conjures just as many negative images, in the minds of many Americans living outside of that region, as it does positive images. When I would travel to other parts of the country while still residing in Rhode Island; I would tell those who inquired that I was from New England, not Rhode Island. Those that were familiar with the region, would further ask what part of New England I was from. Those that weren't, would leave it at that. I hated telling people that I was from Rhode Island and then be asked, "Where's that?" or "Don't you mean 'Long Island'?" or some other completely assassin, unintelligent question. Idiotic Americans who've never opened a history book are more familiar with the term "New England" than "Rhode Island" because the region's professional football team is called the "New England Patriots." Unbelievable. I think that many Americans deliberately ask questions like that, even though they are well aware that Rhode Island is one of the 50 U.S. states, because they're trying to tease Rhode Islanders. Especially after the animated FOX sitcom, Family Guy, which is set in Rhode Island, became popular; who hasn't heard of Rhode Island?! I'm sure that folks living in Upstate New York find it just as aggravating when they tell a person from another state that they're from New York and the other person responds by making a comment about The City. Ugh, people these days! LOL.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:39 PM

715 posts, read 2,508,673 times
My 2 cents on downstate drivers vs. upstate drivers:

I don't think a "bad driver stereotype" is exactly fair for downstate NY / North Jersey. I am a relatively new driver (I'm 20) but have driven a considerable amount since 16, both downstate (home - Orange County), upstate (college - Oswego County), and everywhere in between.

There is no question that downstate NY drivers are more aggressive than upstate drivers -- much more likely to "bust a move." Justifiably so, though -- our roads are busier and more hectic. There is a reason that you are encouraged to get a good deal of experience in high-traffic / busy roadway situations before taking your road test; this is how you really learn how to drive, IMO. I figure that Upstate New Yorkers (especially newer drivers who haven't driven elsewhere) simply aren't exposed to this type of high-volume driving where you absolutely have to assert yourself on the road.

WhatUpFLA - I'm sure you are familiar with 17 in North Jersey. I simply could not imagine some of my upstate friends having to drive on this road -- I would be closing my eyes if in the vehicle!

Bottom line: Drivers downstate are forced to be more assertive/aggressive on busier roadways. This assertive/aggressive notion tends to be unfairly interchanged with "bad driving."

Just my opinion.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:47 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,657,325 times
Moved from northern NJ four years ago and living upstate (Saratoga area) is like living on a different planet, compared to working 14 miles from NYC and living 40 miles west. The traffic congestion on the Northway at rush hour is a piece of cake compared to Rt. 80; was out Christmas shopping today, people are polite, hold doors, say "Merry Christmas" not "Happy Holidays"! Most children are not "give me" brats. I would say it compares to New England rather than NYC.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:12 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,613,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Yeah what he said!

Old 01-01-2012, 08:19 PM

70 posts, read 125,819 times
Default Both and then some

The Capital Region is unique in that it sits at a geographical and cultural cross roads. As an outsider I would say the capital region is
1/3 New York/Downstate, 1/3 New England, and 1/3 Upstate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area