U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 10:54 AM

5 posts, read 20,068 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,
So I recently found out I am going to be offered a job in Amsterdam, NY. I've been doing some research and can't really settle on a place to start looking. Here is what I am looking for:

I'm looking to find a two bedroom apartment at a reasonable price.
I would like to be in a safe neighborhood.
I really want to be close to restaurants and bars, some kind of night life.

I'm a 25 year old, single female. I'm a Business Professional who knows no one in these areas!

Any help I can get would be fantastic!

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 12:13 PM

69,412 posts, read 96,197,771 times
Perhaps Scotia, nicer parts of Amsterdam, the Union Street area of Schenectady and parts of Rotterdam.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:32 PM

6,616 posts, read 12,759,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leb5044 View Post
Hello Everyone,
So I recently found out I am going to be offered a job in Amsterdam, NY. I've been doing some research and can't really settle on a place to start looking. Here is what I am looking for:

I'm looking to find a two bedroom apartment at a reasonable price.
I would like to be in a safe neighborhood.
I really want to be close to restaurants and bars, some kind of night life.

I'm a 25 year old, single female. I'm a Business Professional who knows no one in these areas!

Any help I can get would be fantastic!

Thanks!
There aren't really too many decent, safe places in Amsterdam. And if you are looking for nightlife, the only place that even comes to mind for the whole area would be State Street in Schenectady (there's a Bomber's there that's pretty popular and some other places).

I think Scotia's a bit safer and I don't like Rotterdam too much. Just don't live in Johnstown, Fonda, or any towns like that. There is literally nothing to do.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:41 PM

267 posts, read 905,214 times
I had to mapquest to figure out how long it would take you to get from Sch'dy to Amsterdam, I thought it would take longer. I was pleasantly surprised it was under 1/2 hr, which I think is a fair commute.

I would suggest near State St. near Proctors, downtown Schenectady. There are some new condos around that I think would be a great location, walking distance to the Y, a movie theater, Proctors, bars, restaurants, the library, etc. Sch'dy is a small city but is getting better and better. I've found it to be a good central location for either going into Albany for some of the museums, and other events; and going north for the Adirondacks. My husband has found it to be a good location for various jobs, not too far from Albany or Saratoga or close to Troy.

The other area that I'd love to have lived in (before kids) was the Stockade. I just love the old buildings, the narrow streets, gorgeous architecture, the park along the river. It's just so quaint.

Scotia is a cute town, a few restaurants, bars, movie theater, great park w/pond. I think of it more of a family place, but if you like things a bit quieter you might really like Scotia. Upper Union St. in Sch'dy is nice w/a few shops and things, and it's close to Central Park. During the summer there are concerts and events at the park, free tennis lessons, trails for mtn biking, jogging, etc.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:33 AM

As for apartments, this should help: MapsKrieg - Albany, NY - Apartments, Rooms, Sublets, and Real Estate for Sale

Renters Guide - Albany Apartments in New York and Albany, NY Apartment Complexes (http://www.rentersguidealbany.com/index.cfm?CFID=3639707&CFTOKEN=17072761&page=brows e - broken link)
Renters Guide - Albany Apartments in New York and Albany, NY Apartment Complexes (http://www.rentersguidealbany.com/index.cfm?page=search - broken link)

This community may also be another option: Homepage - City of Gloversville
Gloversville, NY

Old 01-15-2012, 03:15 PM

5 posts, read 20,068 times
Thanks for all the info!

I heard that downtown Schenectady isn't a nice area and not too safe? Anyone live there or have more insight into this claim to either confirm or deny this?

Old 01-15-2012, 04:06 PM

267 posts, read 905,214 times
I live in Sch'dy, not downtown and that's not because it's not safe. I wanted a larger home w/a yard for my kids. I live closer to Union College & Ellis Hospital. But I walk downtown and throughout the Northside. I have brought my kids downtown morning, noon or night w/no trouble. I go downtown at night by myself, w/friends or my husband. I really have no issues. That doesn't mean that there aren't problems w/in the city or downtown. It's a city, there are problems like any other city. Normally the people that have bad things to say about Sch'dy or downtown don't even live here, or haven't been here in 10 years+. If I were your age, w/a job in Amsterdam I'd live downtown or in the Stockade in a heartbeat. We almost bought in the Stockade. I prefer the Stockade because I love the quaintness. Do you have an opportunity to come visit before making your decision? Please feel free to message me if you have specific questions, want to ask me about an apartment location or whatever. There are neighborhoods that I wouldn't live in, but if you look at a specific intersection in google maps and look at the street view, you'll know whether it's nice or not.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:55 PM

6,616 posts, read 12,759,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leb5044 View Post
Thanks for all the info!

I heard that downtown Schenectady isn't a nice area and not too safe? Anyone live there or have more insight into this claim to either confirm or deny this?
I was just in Schenectady literally an hour ago. If you really want to live there, go for it, but don't live in areas like Hamilton Hill.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I was just in Schenectady literally an hour ago. If you really want to live there, go for it, but don't live in areas like Hamilton Hill.
Did someone actually suggest that part of town?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area