U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2007, 12:37 AM

578 posts, read 1,971,995 times

Advertisements

1) I was curious, in Albany New York, is this is considered Yankee, Met, or Red Sox territory?

2) Which city or teams do people there identify with, do you have more Yankee and Giants, Rangers fans, or Red Sox, Patriots, Bruins fans, or a mix?
-What teams are covered in the newspaper, on TV, and who do you get on TV?
The Yankees, Red Sox, Giants, Patriots, Rangers, or Bruins?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 10:00 AM

25 posts, read 82,009 times
Well I would say by far the Yankees are the most popular here then Mets. I doubt you'll find many red socks fans except maybe on our border towns with Mass and Vermont. The teams that get the most coverage on our tv and newspapers are definitly the NY teams, I live not far from syracuse so we get all the Buffalo Bills and Sabers games, and both NY baseball teams games (we even get the YES network here) Then would be the NY football and hockey teams. The only boston games we get are the ones where they are playing NY teams, or if there are no NY teams playing on a particualr day. And then there is Syracuse University so we get a lot of coverage of their sporting events to.

Even though Upstate NY is worlds aways from NYC we still consider ourselves New Yorkers. So most people up here are more likely to cheer for a team from NY State than one from outside the state even if that means a team from NYC.

Why do you ask? Are you from MASS. looking to move to NY?

Old 09-02-2007, 10:59 AM

3,234 posts, read 8,130,762 times
Most of upstate is Yankee country but the further east you go, you run into more red sox fans. Here in Rochester I run into sox fans all the time. When I go east to Albany I run into even more red sox fans but the Yankees still dominate.

Old 09-02-2007, 12:04 PM

203 posts, read 813,814 times
I agree...I'm from Albany...big Yankee town...they don't care for the Mets much. Lot of Red Sox fans too. Albany does get the YES network. I would say the Giants are more popular than the Jets. For some reason the Knicks aren't big upstate (maybe because they suck right now)...but college basketball is big. People in Albany are probably more loyal to the NYC teams than other teams like the Bills or Patriots.
Albany has a minor league hockey team (River Rats)...they're more popular than the NHL.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:13 PM

2 posts, read 13,000 times
Yankees all the way!

Old 09-07-2007, 08:03 AM

155 posts, read 811,079 times
Smallbany Sports Fans
Baseball: Yanks
Football: Giants
Hockey: Rangers

Old 09-18-2007, 07:28 PM

578 posts, read 1,971,995 times
Thanks, it's a mixture I see.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:37 AM

65 posts, read 413,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rug city View Post
Smallbany Sports Fans
Baseball: Yanks
Football: Giants
Hockey: Rangers
If you go to the far reaches of the "North Country" (i.e Massena, Canton, Rouses Point, Potsdam) you'll run into Ottawa Senators and Mtl Canadian fans, especially as the TV and radio broadcasts are easy to pick up.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:07 PM

1 posts, read 6,136 times
The Albany Times Union did a survey of Capital District (includes the cities of Albany, Schenectady, Troy, and the surrounding towns) baseball fans a couple years ago. I don't remember the results verbatim, but the Yankees had about 40%, with the Red Sox beating the Mets by around 5 or 6%. Albany and Schenectady are pretty solid Yankee territory (although there are enough Red Sox fans to notice), with the Yankees slightly less dominant in Troy (note slightly). Red Sox fans are probably in the majority when you get closer to the Vermont and Massachusetts borders, but nobody lives there.
Before the Patriots won the Super Bowl, there were almost no fans in the area, and there's still very few. The Giants are the team, then the Jets, and then the Bills.
The NBA is not very popular, but there would be more Knicks fans if they were any good.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:52 PM

8 posts, read 46,206 times
from my experience up here its about yankees - red sox 50/50 very few mets fans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area