U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-26-2012, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Averill Park, NY
21 posts, read 62,260 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Once the state and government get on a better track, they can get some money on this substantial project. Yes people are car dependent, especially in the Albany area, but if routes parallel highly driven car routes, The Northway, Central Avenue and Western Avenue, traffic will shift over to the transit routes. The Northway is bad in the mornings and afternoons. So, if a faster, cheaper alternative is offered, like rapid transit with limited stops, people would getting stuck in traffic and stop paying $4.00 to drive 17 or 18 miles. If you could ride the subway for $0.50 going from Clifton Park or Colonie directly to your office in Albany you would. The way to get this project moving with out jumping right in is a short test route from Downtown to Colonie Center or Crossgates Mall. Then it would be extended as demand increases, to the airport and Latham. As demand increases, as it will if gas stays so expensive and continues to climb, a huge, popular system will be created linking the Capital District by rails.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-27-2012, 09:59 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in America
13,319 posts, read 12,215,759 times
Reputation: 22927
Quote:
Originally Posted by sman6293 View Post
Once the state and government get on a better track, they can get some money on this substantial project. Yes people are car dependent, especially in the Albany area, but if routes parallel highly driven car routes, The Northway, Central Avenue and Western Avenue, traffic will shift over to the transit routes. The Northway is bad in the mornings and afternoons. So, if a faster, cheaper alternative is offered, like rapid transit with limited stops, people would getting stuck in traffic and stop paying $4.00 to drive 17 or 18 miles. If you could ride the subway for $0.50 going from Clifton Park or Colonie directly to your office in Albany you would. The way to get this project moving with out jumping right in is a short test route from Downtown to Colonie Center or Crossgates Mall. Then it would be extended as demand increases, to the airport and Latham. As demand increases, as it will if gas stays so expensive and continues to climb, a huge, popular system will be created linking the Capital District by rails.
Who says it would be 50 from Clifton Park to Albany? Also, the subway wouldn't bring you right to your office. You would have to walk some distance. And not everyone who lives in Clifton Park works in Albany. In fact, out of the dozens of people I know in Clifton Park, only 1 works in Albany. He works overnights and isn't affected by the rush hour commute.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2012, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Averill Park, NY
21 posts, read 62,260 times
Reputation: 12
50 cents is just a sample number. It may be more like 1.00 or 1.50, which is still much better than 4.00. I know not everyone that lives in Clifton Park works in Albany. I'm just using that corridor as an example because I was on 87 yesterday in Latham stopped in traffic (I'm not exaggerating). No one can deny that the Northway between Albany County and Saratoga County is a heavily traveled.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2012, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in America
13,319 posts, read 12,215,759 times
Reputation: 22927
Quote:
Originally Posted by sman6293 View Post
50 cents is just a sample number. It may be more like 1.00 or 1.50, which is still much better than 4.00. I know not everyone that lives in Clifton Park works in Albany. I'm just using that corridor as an example because I was on 87 yesterday in Latham stopped in traffic (I'm not exaggerating). No one can deny that the Northway between Albany County and Saratoga County is a heavily traveled.
No one has denied that there's a ton of traffic on the Northway from Southern Saratoga County into Albany County during rush hour. I grew up in Halfmoon. I watched it go from a farming community to houses popping up all over. I remember having one traffic light from my house to Route 9 and now there's at least 4. I still remember the day I saw the forest butchered for what was the new Grand Union plaza aka The Crossing. I remember when Clifton Country Mall was booming and practically the only ting in Clifton Park besides Grand Union.

Just because someone builds a transit system doesn't mean it will get used. CDTA is a great example of that. Yes, it IS used, but it is HEAVILY subsidized. The state takes away their funding, then CDTA goes bye bye. Amtrak loses federal funding and it too will go bye bye. People just don't use public transportation here like Europe. We are VERY car dependent and want to go where and when we want to. We don't want to wait. I realize this is a little different in places like Manhattan and Boston. But they have millions of people and even their systems are subsidized.

And it doesn't take everyone $4 to get to work. So people spend more and some spend less. It all depends on your car and where you're coming from and going to. One of my cars will get over 30 miles per gallon. Not everyone works during rush hour times on purpose!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2012, 06:06 PM
 
Location: Averill Park, NY
21 posts, read 62,260 times
Reputation: 12
Just curious, how would you solve the traffic issues on the Northway?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2012, 10:46 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in America
13,319 posts, read 12,215,759 times
Reputation: 22927
Quote:
Originally Posted by sman6293 View Post
Just curious, how would you solve the traffic issues on the Northway?
I would add an additional lane to the Northway. During morning rush hour it would flow southbound and evening rush hour it would flow northbound. There's an interstate in Virginia that does this. Well, it did when I was on it 15 years ago. They could have widen it by now. There were gates on it like railroad crossings to allow traffic on and off in the right direction.

I also would do something like Atlanta has done. During rush hour certain on ramps have stop lights. They have 2 lanes and rotate which lane can go. Only one car at a time is allowed on and there's no massive line of cars waiting to merge like exit 4 gets on I-87.

Atlanta has traffic. The Capitol Region has no traffic at all compared to Atlanta. That place is nuts! It's 8 lanes going in each direction and it can still be a parking lot. Oh and they drive a heck of a lot faster.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2012, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Averill Park, NY
21 posts, read 62,260 times
Reputation: 12
The Times Union had an article about problems on the Northway a few weeks ago. Both of those ideas were in it. Sadly, the DOT spokeswoman who commented shot most ideas down. I think HOV lanes or express lanes might do the trick. A larger, more destructive project would be an extension of I-787 into Cohoes and into Saratoga County, but I don't think we'll ever see that.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2012, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in America
13,319 posts, read 12,215,759 times
Reputation: 22927
Quote:
Originally Posted by sman6293 View Post
The Times Union had an article about problems on the Northway a few weeks ago. Both of those ideas were in it. Sadly, the DOT spokeswoman who commented shot most ideas down. I think HOV lanes or express lanes might do the trick. A larger, more destructive project would be an extension of I-787 into Cohoes and into Saratoga County, but I don't think we'll ever see that.
Where would you put 787 in Saratoga County? It ends just shy of the border. There's not a huge population in that part of Saratoga County. It's quite the trip to Clifton Park from there.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2012, 07:37 AM
 
3 posts, read 6,010 times
Reputation: 15
I wish that there was a Capital District subway. I have a car, but would use a subway all the time. I hate getting stuck in traffic on the Northway. Every time that I visit NYC, Atlanta or DC, I am envious of the metro system.

A metro would make it easier for people to get to jobs that have a longer commute (i.e. live in Saratoga County and work in Albany). It would also be less stress for a lot of people and it would be better for our communities and future economic growth. I think ridership might start slow, but would pick up as people realized it was easier and more enjoyable than sitting behind another car crawling to work.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2012, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in America
13,319 posts, read 12,215,759 times
Reputation: 22927
Quote:
Originally Posted by msrachel View Post
I wish that there was a Capital District subway. I have a car, but would use a subway all the time. I hate getting stuck in traffic on the Northway. Every time that I visit NYC, Atlanta or DC, I am envious of the metro system.
All of those cities have a MUCH higher and denser population that the Capitol Region. There is CDTA for bus transportation. A subway isn't feasible. First of all, there's not enough people. Secondly, the population is too far spread out. You can't compare the Capitol District to NYC. There's over 10 million people in NYC. There's not even a million in the Capitol Region.

Oh and the traffic in the Capitol Region has NOTHING on Atlanta or DC. It's a joke compared to NYC.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top