Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 01:51 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,773 times

Advertisements

I think a light rail or railroad would be great for the Capital Region. Not so much because of traffic, but because the region would be more interconnected. Parking in downtown Albany for people who work in the Empire State Plaza is a huge problem. There is only one parking garage for all the state workers and it takes an average of 15 years of working to get a reserved spot. Otherwise, you have to pay for parking or scramble around finding street parking (which apparently a law is being passed from preventing state workers from parking on the local streets because the residents don't like it). It would be great to have a light rail coming in from the suburbs into the Empire State Plaza and downtown Albany. I think a light rail would also be good for nightlife as well. When I lived in Albany there were many times I would like to have gone out in Saratoga for a night, but many times I didn't because the drive is too long for when you're having a few drinks. It would have been nice if there was some kind of light rail or railroad. People from Albany could easily go to downtown Saratoga or Schenectady for one night and vise versa. I assume it would also decrease DWI as well.

Having light rails/subway systems/railroad isn't just about reducing traffic, it's about having easier connections to places within a city as well. One of the biggest problems with the Capital Region is that it's divided into four small cities which are only connected via highway and can feel ways apart at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 04:03 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
Parking in downtown Albany for people who work in the Empire State Plaza is a huge problem. There is only one parking garage for all the state workers and it takes an average of 15 years of working to get a reserved spot. Otherwise, you have to pay for parking or scramble around finding street parking (which apparently a law is being passed from preventing state workers from parking on the local streets because the residents don't like it).

Having light rails/subway systems/railroad isn't just about reducing traffic, it's about having easier connections to places within a city as well. One of the biggest problems with the Capital Region is that it's divided into four small cities which are only connected via highway and can feel ways apart at times.
Why should state workers be entitled to FREE parking? What makes them so special? Plenty of people work in downtown Albany and HAVE to pay for parking. Many cities across America have workers who must pay to park. Just because one works for the state doesn't mean they should get a free parking spot.

I worked in downtown Albany and had to pay for parking. No one paid it for me. I didn't die from it. It's called having a job and having a car.

You're comparing a city to a region. They are vastly different. The Capitol Region actually covers more than 4 cities. There are several small cities, numerous towns and villages. You're never going to be able to connect everything with a rail system. Yes, Johnstown is far from Saratoga. And Saratoga is a ways from Albany. That's the way life is. Before the highway system was created, it took even longer to get between places!

You have to have a high enough population who WILL use the system for it to be feasible. The state does NOT need to subsidize a rail system so a few can use it. The state already subsidizes CDTA more than it should and the Feds subsidize Amtrak far more than it should.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Why should state workers be entitled to FREE parking? What makes them so special? Plenty of people work in downtown Albany and HAVE to pay for parking. Many cities across America have workers who must pay to park. Just because one works for the state doesn't mean they should get a free parking spot.

I worked in downtown Albany and had to pay for parking. No one paid it for me. I didn't die from it. It's called having a job and having a car.

You're comparing a city to a region. They are vastly different. The Capitol Region actually covers more than 4 cities. There are several small cities, numerous towns and villages. You're never going to be able to connect everything with a rail system. Yes, Johnstown is far from Saratoga. And Saratoga is a ways from Albany. That's the way life is. Before the highway system was created, it took even longer to get between places!

You have to have a high enough population who WILL use the system for it to be feasible. The state does NOT need to subsidize a rail system so a few can use it. The state already subsidizes CDTA more than it should and the Feds subsidize Amtrak far more than it should.
First, it's not the norm to pay for parking at your job. I don't know anyone, including myself, or anywhere other than the NYS government where the employer charges it's employees for parking. Every job I've ever worked at never charged for parking, minus the NYS government. Second, it costs $2 an hour (so if you work 8 hours a day that's $18) to park in the visitor parking at the Empire Plaza, and the private lots are $10 a day. That's $50-$90 a week for parking which is insane. No matter how high someone's salary is nobody wants to waste that much money on parking, especially since we pay enough for gas these days.

I don't understand why people here are so anti-public transportation. Yes it's nice to have a car, but it's also nice to have good public transportation. Not have to worry about the stress of driving and traffic, save on gas, less pollutant emissions for vehicles, promotes walking more. And as I said, public transportation is so convenient when you're going out at night or in places where parking is hard.

As for your comment saying a rail system connecting the Capital Region would be too difficult, it exists in New Jersey, Long Island, Connecticut, and the lower Hudson Valley in order to get to New York City (and with more than one train line covering just as many if not more square miles than the Capital Region, except the lower Hudson Valley), so how is the Capital Region any different?

And don't get me started on NYS budgets and how it's too much to fund public transportation. With the amount of money NY residents pay in taxes you'd think there is enough money for the state and county governments to subsidize a subway system throughout the entire state! But I guess not.

Last edited by ThinkingElsewhere; 08-30-2012 at 05:13 PM..

Old 08-30-2012, 06:05 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:

Amtrak only receives 1 Billion a year , Airlines which are supposed to be private receive close 40 Billion , Oil also receives close to 40 billion. If Amtrak Received 40 Billion a year it be = to a Europe operator. The population argument does not hold up....The Northeast has over 60 Million people mostly along the Coast. Its Denser then Europe and Japan. The Rail Systems operates at a profit to cover operating expenses however just like overseas it needs help to bring it system up to code. But unlike overseas we don't invest in everything equally.... You can connect everything with Rail , Rail built the Northeast and Midwest , most towns still have tracks and a station all you need to do is restore service. Invest in New Tracks , signals , Bridges and upgrading stations and trains and your good to go. New England's Rail Plan can seen in the link below it will mostly be completed by 2030... New York's Plan is different is stalled , it called for lines to Binghamton , Elmeria , I-287 Rail , and New High Speed Rail between the Buffalo and NYC...it would have only cost 12 billion $$$.... But like most things in NY , Albany stalled on it....all lines would have generated a profit....

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...53576,6.696167 < Massachusetts - Rhode Island - Eastern Connecticut - Southern New Hampshire - 2040 Regional Rail Plan

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...07654,6.696167 < New Jersey , Lower Hudson Valley & Western Connecticut 2040 Regional Rail Plan

Last edited by DarkWolf; 08-30-2012 at 06:15 PM..

Old 08-30-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
First, it's not the norm to pay for parking at your job. I don't know anyone, including myself, or anywhere other than the NYS government where the employer charges it's employees for parking. Every job I've ever worked at never charged for parking, minus the NYS government. Second, it costs $2 an hour (so if you work 8 hours a day that's $18) to park in the visitor parking at the Empire Plaza, and the private lots are $10 a day.
Who said everyone who works in downtown Albany works for the state? There ARE other places to park in Albany besides in the Empire State Plaza. The Plaza is for use by EVERYONE who visits downtown. Not everyone who works for the state works in The Plaza. Far from it actually. There are tons of employees in The Plaza who are NOT state workers. I know I was one of them!

Quote:
As for your comment saying a rail system connecting the Capital Region would be too difficult, it exists in New Jersey, Long Island, Connecticut, and the lower Hudson Valley in order to get to New York City (and with more than one train line covering just as many if not more square miles than the Capital Region, except the lower Hudson Valley), so how is the Capital Region any different?
You're forgetting that ENTIRE area has well over 10 MILLION people! The Capitol Region has LESS than 1 million people. It's like comparing batteries to donuts!

Old 08-30-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Amtrak only receives 1 Billion a year , Airlines which are supposed to be private receive close 40 Billion , Oil also receives close to 40 billion. If Amtrak Received 40 Billion a year it be = to a Europe operator. The population argument does not hold up....The Northeast has over 60 Million people mostly along the Coast. Its Denser then Europe and Japan. The Rail Systems operates at a profit to cover operating expenses however just like overseas it needs help to bring it system up to code. But unlike overseas we don't invest in everything equally.... You can connect everything with Rail , Rail built the Northeast and Midwest , most towns still have tracks and a station all you need to do is restore service. Invest in New Tracks , signals , Bridges and upgrading stations and trains and your good to go. New England's Rail Plan can seen in the link below it will mostly be completed by 2030... New York's Plan is different is stalled , it called for lines to Binghamton , Elmeria , I-287 Rail , and New High Speed Rail between the Buffalo and NYC...it would have only cost 12 billion $$$.... But like most things in NY , Albany stalled on it....all lines would have generated a profit....
This isn't Europe. We don't pay taxes like most Europeans either. If you would like to pay 50% or more of your paycheck to the government, please feel free to send them your income. I don't know anyone who would want that and I have family from Europe. They all live here! And enjoy our tax system much better.

England is smaller than Alabama. Most European countries are smaller than many of our states. You can't compare Europe to the US. Again we're comparing batteries and donuts.

And I don't feel that any of those things should be subsized by tax payers. If you want them, you pay for them! Just like the Thruway. If you don't want to pay, then don't use it. Why should everyone else foot the bill for the few who use it?

It would only cost 12 billion to build it. ONLY 12 billion. Where would you suggest that 12 BILLION come from? What will it cost to maintain it? Who will pay for it? We can't even repair and rebuild our bridges and you want 12 BILLION for a rail system? Get real!

Old 08-30-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Who said everyone who works in downtown Albany works for the state? There ARE other places to park in Albany besides in the Empire State Plaza. The Plaza is for use by EVERYONE who visits downtown. Not everyone who works for the state works in The Plaza. Far from it actually. There are tons of employees in The Plaza who are NOT state workers. I know I was one of them!
Most people who work or go to the Plaza everyday work for the state in some way. That's no brainer. The only people who work in the Plaza that aren't state workers that I know of are the food truck vendors at lunch or McDonald's/Sodexo employees. Not sure about the janitors. And visitors don't go the Plaza everyday so it's not a big deal to have to pay for parking for one day. Come on, what employee wants to pay $50-$90 a week on parking? And now it's become illegal to park on the side streets near the Plaza unless you live on one of those side streets. It'd be nice to have some light rail.

Quote:
You're forgetting that ENTIRE area has well over 10 MILLION people! The Capitol Region has LESS than 1 million people. It's like comparing batteries to donuts!
It has enough people for simple rail system now. And with this supposedly Global Foundries and nanotechnology research the metro area will only get bigger. Might as well plan for the future. Plus it would help create jobs for the overall stagnant, depressed Upstate NY economy.

Quote:
This isn't Europe. We don't pay taxes like most Europeans either. If you would like to pay 50% or more of your paycheck to the government, please feel free to send them your income. I don't know anyone who would want that and I have family from Europe. They all live here! And enjoy our tax system much better.
At least in Europe they get their money's worth from taxes. I feel like 50% of my income goes to NYS taxes and I get nothing to show from it.

Quote:
It would only cost 12 billion to build it. ONLY 12 billion. Where would you suggest that 12 BILLION come from? What will it cost to maintain it? Who will pay for it? We can't even repair and rebuild our bridges and you want 12 BILLION for a rail system? Get real!
NYS has the 15th highest GDP in the world and NYS the highest taxes in the US, yet they still can't afford a simple light rail? Sounds more like political corruption and poor financial management rather than not being able to subsidize public transportation.

Last edited by ThinkingElsewhere; 08-30-2012 at 09:06 PM..

Old 08-31-2012, 12:56 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:

England is smaller than Alabama. Most European countries are smaller than many of our states. You can't compare Europe to the US. Again we're comparing batteries and donuts.

And I don't feel that any of those things should be subsized by tax payers. If you want them, you pay for them! Just like the Thruway. If you don't want to pay, then don't use it. Why should everyone else foot the bill for the few who use it?

You be surprised , most of the Northeast pays about the same as Europe in Taxes. The reason why there income taxes are high is due to the fact that they don't have Property Taxes. Incomes taxes pay for Healthcare , Police , Education and Fire Services or basic services... I wasn't compared the US to Europe but the Northeast to Europe. This region is very small , the smallest in the US yet we account for 30% of the US economy and with a population of 55 Million on 2% of the nations land.

We have Densities higher then Europe that can benefit from Rail. 12 Billion is a drop in the bucket and wouldn't be all at once , it will be 8 billion by 2015....The Road & Highway budget is over 6 Billlion for New York and Transit is 2 Billion a year....Transit despite the unions and other crap is easier cheaper to run then Roads and Highways. 12 Billion is just for Upstate , if you include the whole state theres about 45 billion in projects set to be done in phases by 2050. The Northeast as a whole has 350 billion in projects , without these projects the region would grind to a halt and the economy would start to die.

By 2030 All but 2 Major Airports in the Northeast will be overcapacity and 37 Highways will be overcapacity.... Since we can't expand our Airports due to population issues , each state has drawn up a Rail plan , same to deal with the highway congestion. This region will grow to 85 Million by 2060....Upstate won't be sparred...although most of the Growth will be between Portland,Maine and Richmond,Virgina with Western Growth into PA and Western Mass...

Rail also Generates alot of Economic Growth in Jobs and Housing and raises Property Values. All the Recent lines and Stations in New Jersey have generated close to 80 Billion $$$ in Economic Growth since 2000 , raised Property Values by 25 billion $$$. Not to mention the tens of thousands of jobs that have popped up along the lines... Every state or City that has invested in Rail has seen a similar result...like Portland , LA , SF and The Twin Cities...

Last edited by DarkWolf; 08-31-2012 at 01:16 AM..

Old 09-12-2012, 12:19 PM

49 posts, read 102,645 times
Capital Highways - Mid-Crosstown Arterial

Interesting to think about.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:01 PM

18 posts, read 38,367 times
My wife and I would both gladly fall under the heading of people in Clifton Park who would drive to a local light rail or subway station rather than drive everywhere. A light rail or subway option to get to the Rensselaer Amtrak station, airport and downtown would all be things I'd love. I'm not hopeful about the chances of it happening, or even being seriously discussed, any time soon, but I'd love to be pleasantly surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area