U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2012, 07:48 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,452,451 times

Advertisements

Becca,

I didn't complain I restated my question, in regards to certain parts that hadn't been addressed and said thank you to you specifically and you snapped at me to learn to use a search engine. How does one google "What outdoor activities are popular in Troy"? Not which ones are available but what do people who live there regularly enjoy. Sure here in Orlando there are all sorts of outdoor activities but the majority don't do them. Cycling isn't very big here, surfing is even pretty small even though we have both of these things.

I'm not trying to find out what Troy has, I'm trying to find out what people in Troy enjoy. There's a very distinct difference. If you don't want to provide any additional information you don't have to say "Google is your friend" you can just hit your back button and find a different thread to post in.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 07:52 AM

sarchivist,

Thanks for all that great information, I didn't know any of that stuff. RPI's website I find fairly difficult to navigate so I really only looked at academic stuff on it and am waiting to hear back from an email I sent them to learn more.

Does the community usually go out to those EMPAC films and to the art galleries in general that RPI has or is it mostly RPI students that attend and the community doesn't usually take part?

Old 02-22-2012, 07:59 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,949,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
you snapped at me to learn to use a search engine.
I didn't "snap" at you. All I said is Google is your friend. How you interpreted that is not my problem. I can post wherever I please - this is a public community forum.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:52 PM

335 posts, read 760,732 times
Quote:
sarchivist,

Does the community usually go out to those EMPAC films and to the art galleries in general that RPI has or is it mostly RPI students that attend and the community doesn't usually take part?
I would say that for a lot of events the audience is probably actually MORE community than RPI students. However, the "community" it pulls from is pretty broad - not just Troy, but the whole Capital District.

To get back to one of your previous questions, Troy - and much of the Capital District - is fairly liberal, but not necessarily progressive. This is old-time Democrat country. There are pockets of progressives, some in Troy, but government has been so byzantine in New York State for so long, that it is hard for people to break out of that.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:22 PM

8,874 posts, read 11,330,165 times
Quote:
I'm finalizing what schools I want to apply to and location matters to me. Its not the only criteria but it is an important one.

Right now from a programmatic standpoint Rensselaer Polytechnic is looking like a school to consider.

How is the area it is in? Do you need a Car? Is it fairly conservative or liberal? Younger or older generation? What types of nightlife and daylife is around? What is the cost of living like? What is the diversity like?

Thanks,
Ender
are you looking at undergrad, or grad?

My daughter is currently an undergrad at RPI. My views are based on a combo of visits, what she says, and what we have heard. The area, is well - its not nearly as BAD as some people say, but I wouldnt say the town is a main draw of RPI. Theres not much college town feel - there are college oriented businesses, but they seem to be scatttered around. A lot of RPI kids arent the partying type, and theres a lot going on on campus, and the city is relatively big for a small town - though due to its decline as an old industrial city, its not a prime place on its own either. Troy has some VERY nice old architecture - and in the area near the river it has the beginging of an arts/night life district, though I wouldnt say it has quite all come together. The main deterrent to RPI kids really taking more advantage of the town, and to RPI thus stimulating activity in the town seems to be crime. Talk to RPI kids and they will say different things about the crime. It seems to be fine in broad daylight - at night opinions differ - whether street smarts are enough, whether one needs to go with a friend to be safe, whether going with one friend is enough, whether the main problem is kids walking obliviously with their fancy electronics. For the most part my DD does her nightlife on campus, and has gone into the town by day, and not that much.

The campus is mostly pragmatic, and not very political - there are political groups, with a range from progressive to conservative, - the school is conservative compared to say an Ivy or an elite liberal arts college, pretty liberal compared to say a christian school, or some southern school. This is a place where you will be out of place if you think global warming is a liberal hoax, but also out of place if you want to spend your time battling corporate capitalism.

It seems quite easy to get around campus and town on foot, and undergrads can use the local buses for free, which is useful. A car would be very helpful for getting to local outdoorsy stuff though. Its easy to get to NYC on megabus from Albany, but getting to new england car free is a hassle. The bus ride to crossgates the nearest mall is apparently

looking at fliers around school, a br share (1/3 of a 3br, 1/2 of a 2br, etc) seems to run around $300 a month, which seems wildly cheap (but we live in DC) not sure about other living costs, since our kid is on campus.

One thing to note is the weather - its not as snowy as some other parts of upstate NY, but there is a LOT of cloudiness in the winter. Our DD wasnt too fond of that.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Becca,

I'm not trying to find out what Troy has, I'm trying to find out what people in Troy enjoy. There's a very distinct difference. If you don't want to provide any additional information you don't have to say "Google is your friend" you can just hit your back button and find a different thread to post in.

Troy is a modest industrial city in a metro area with 3 cities (albany, troy, schenect-whateever) and a bunch of suburbs. For an RPI student, even a grad student, it doesnt matter that much what most Troy residents (who are mostly working class) do or dont do - there will be lots of activies that you will find people doing, that few Troy residents do. Troy, though it has a hardy group of brave gentrifiers is NOT a college town you may envision - living off campus in Troy your peers are mostly going to be RPI grad students and upper classmen. What may matter is what THEY do.

They certainly do the full range of outdoor activities, as their study time allows them.

I am not familiar with the music scene.

edit

I see you are from orlando - again Troy is part of larger region. If you were going to school in St Pete, and asked what people in st pete do (but not what people in greater tampa do) you might be misled. Troy will matter to you in terms of crime, cost of living, etc. In terms of broader interests, the whole region will matter more. Unless you dont have a car. if you really want to spend a lot of time on outdoorsy things (unless you only want to do them with the RPI club) or you want lots of big city clubbing and events (which are more in albany than troy) not having a car might well be a mistake, despite Troys excellent walkability.

Last edited by brooklynborndad; 02-22-2012 at 04:34 PM..

Old 02-22-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
My sister is finishing up her degree at RPI now. My dad also went there for college. Great school!

If you live in downtown Troy, it is very walkable although the Food Co-Op that was down there closed recently. It is generally safe and I've never had a problem with going home to my sister's after the bars close.
i often hear people (here, and one of my D's friends who is off campus) say downtown is safe - but I also hear about crimes on Burdett, and the vibe near the high school isnt great. Is Burdett worse than downtown? Is it just unfortunate that freshman hill is near a relatively challenged area, and RPI undergrads get a worse impression to start off than they would if they lived in Blittman (on 6th)?

Old 02-22-2012, 05:54 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,949,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
i often hear people (here, and one of my D's friends who is off campus) say downtown is safe - but I also hear about crimes on Burdett, and the vibe near the high school isnt great. Is Burdett worse than downtown? Is it just unfortunate that freshman hill is near a relatively challenged area, and RPI undergrads get a worse impression to start off than they would if they lived in Blittman (on 6th)?
I've never personally had issues with Burdett, but I've only been on the RPI campus a handful of times over the past 10 years so am not too sure. I wouldn't be surprised if that's an iffy area due to the highschool though. I can definitely attest to downtown being safe though. I'm sure there are minor issues here and there, but in all my time in Troy, I've never felt unsafe being downtown. I actually spent a week out there last summer as well.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:00 PM

335 posts, read 760,732 times
I've never heard anything about Burdett being unsafe. I live in Albany, but I work with someone who has lived on Burdett for years near the high school. I know she sometimes finds the high school kids annoying - and yes, some of the RPI students too - but it's mostly things like litter, noise at school events, and people blocking her driveway.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:16 AM

I'm looking at it for grad school and unless the crime involves guns I'm really not concerned

So far most of this sounds pretty good actually although I'd still appreciate a more straight answer on the outdoors stuff. Here in Orlando it depresses me because there's only 2 groups really people that don't do outdoor activities at all and people that do outdoors activities centered around off-roading, hunting, mudding and fishing none of which I enjoy.

The political and city itself so far sound pretty damn good. I'm just really hoping to be in a place with recreational activities more in line with things I enjoy. Much like I'd rather not apply to UF or LSU if another school will offer me a free ride I also don't want to apply to any schools in NYC either where the main sport there is bar hopping and being professional socialites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area