Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 07:03 PM

4 posts, read 8,454 times

Advertisements

I came here looking for some advice. I am currently employed and living in Eastern PA. I am going to be needing to find another job come September. I was thinking about taking the plunge and moving to the Glen falls area and finding a job there. I had a few questions for anyone native to that area. I am in a very committed relationship and she would be moving with me. She is for the summer living and working in Raquette Lake ( about 2 hours away) Is it feasible to move to this area and find a job or is it more a depressed area? Also is it an expensive area to live? Housing seems to run the gamut( we would be looking to rent at first) from expensive to cheap. From the research I have done it looks to be pretty close to Saratoga Springs, where I would think there are more jobs. Any info you could provide would be immensely helpful to me. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 07:52 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,830,417 times
What's drawing you to Glens Falls in the first place?

Old 07-17-2012, 06:41 AM

Girlfriends family lives in Raquette Lake. I have always liked smaller towns verses larger cities and I am tired of living in this crummy city.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:50 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Perhaps the Utica-Rome area may work too. It is just down Route 28. With that said, I'm sure Glens Falls could work too.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:15 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,830,417 times
What kinda job are you going to be looking for?

Old 07-17-2012, 09:37 PM

334 posts, read 851,943 times
I don't think it's easy to find a job anywhere these days unless you have very specific, in-demand skills. That said, Glens Falls is doing OK, and has been doing even better in the past decade when housing in Saratoga Springs started to become unaffordable. You are right - the commute from Glens Falls to Saratoga is very do-able. Glens Falls is a nice location - easy to get to both Saratoga and the Southern Adirondacks, while being a complete town in its own right.

There are some expensive luxury homes in Glens Falls - mainly condos and town houses - but most of the real estate is affordable.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
What kinda job are you going to be looking for?
I currently do inside sales, and i would also be interested in any admin/clerical/data entry work/ customer service. I worked retail for years so I can do that if necessary as well. Girlfriend has done customer service and currently works in a kitchen. Anyone know of any good places to look for apartments or houses to rent other than craigslist? Thanks again for the info.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:26 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madfatter View Post
I currently do inside sales, and i would also be interested in any admin/clerical/data entry work/ customer service. I worked retail for years so I can do that if necessary as well. Girlfriend has done customer service and currently works in a kitchen. Anyone know of any good places to look for apartments or houses to rent other than craigslist? Thanks again for the info.
Glens Falls Apartments for Rent | Glens Falls NY Apartment Finder

apartments Glens Falls | Find apartments in Glens Falls, NY

Customer Service Jobs, Employment in Glens Falls, NY | Indeed.com

Old 07-21-2012, 09:27 PM

were going to do it! We will have enough saved to live for 3 to 4 months. Its big a risk but we are both intelligent hard working individuals. We both just want a change of lifestyle. I have stared selling off all non essential belongings extra tvs, tablets, extra electronics, etc. I have quite a bit experience repairing electronics and computers and think i can make some extra money on the side doing odd jobs. Its a really big risk but the reward could be awesome. My whole life its been my dream to just move away to a more rural area. I feel like its crazy but i just know i can make it work. Thanks for the advice guys!

Old 07-22-2012, 06:53 AM

188 posts, read 662,854 times
I live near South Glens falls and I like it here. There's a few areas that look a bit depressed, but I know that at least in my field (medical) there are new facilities opening up all the time so plenty of jobs. And commute to Saratoga would be cake. I commute to Albany every day, which isn't as nice (LOL) but still better than when I lived in los angeles!

Neighboring areas like Wilton, Northumberland, Queensbury are also good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area