Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2012, 12:55 AM

2 posts, read 3,948 times

Advertisements

I have rented out an apartment with two other roommates just this past June. We had paid the security deposit and signed the lease despite a few damages (doors were kicked in, holes in the wall, and the house wasn't professionally cleaned yet.) Our mistake was moving in despite the damages because we needed a place to put our things since we needed to go home for the summer. Our landlord promised the repairs to be finished in a week, but it has now been a month and a half and there are still repairs to be done. It has been such an inconvenience. The apartment is currently unoccupied since we are away and are only using the house during school. We have only visited for one weekend to move a few boxes and we took a few showers and used the stove very little to cook food. Now, I have received a utilities bill for about $100 and this is beyond outstanding for a home that isn't being used even though we stayed for a weekend it wouldn't amount to this much! My concern is then that the repairmen are using the electricity to do their repairs; it seems the only logical answer for why the bill would be so high. When I brought this up to my landlord, she said she will not pay for any of the bill and it is our responsibility as stated in our lease. However, we had mentioned to her beforehand that we did not want to open a utilities account until we will fully occupy the house in late August but the lease stated that there must be no shut off period or else the landlord can fine us. We questioned (verbally nothing written out unfortunately)that what if the repairs take up a lot of electricity and she said if it was outstanding to tell her and that is what we are doing now but she claims she never said that So now we're stuck and I feel we are being taken advantaged of since we are only students, and I have never experienced a problem like this before. What can we do? Should we take her to court?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 11:15 AM

25 posts, read 47,378 times
How disruptive is the repair work? I would think really your only out is if the repair work is so disruptive that a portion of the apartment is uninhabitable. If that's the case you could make a case that you are not responsible for the rent payment or utilities during that period. But if the place is still in okay shape that you could be living there without issue...I think you are on the hook. If the lease states utilities are your responsibility, then once you sign the bill is yours whether you are occupying the place or not.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:56 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Sounds like you are possibly paying for utilities in another part of the building otherwise why put a "no shut off" clause in. It might be advantageous to have electrician or utility person check to make sure the costs are just for that apartment. If you find out your are being charged for utilities outside of your apartment (landlord apartment, laundry room etc.) contact the state attorney general.

Although we live in Saratoga, have a 2400 sq. ft. house, pool, a/c, our cost per month is roughly $185, so it sounds to me that you are being charged for more than your apartment.

http://voices.yahoo.com/new-york-sta...-law-9797.html

http://www.nls.org/housing/withhold.htm
http://tenant.net/Rent_Laws/
http://www.lawny.org/index.php/housi...t-make-repairs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
View detailed profiles of: