U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 06:52 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,562,597 times

Advertisements

I'm finalizing what schools I want to apply to and location matters to me. Its not the only criteria but it is an important one.

Right now from a programmatic standpoint Rensselaer Polytechnic is looking like a school to consider.

How is the area it is in? Do you need a Car? Is it fairly conservative or liberal? Younger or older generation? What types of nightlife and daylife is around? What is the cost of living like? What is the diversity like?

Thanks,
Ender
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 09:21 AM

69,376 posts, read 96,156,627 times
This can give you an idea of the neighborhoods near RPI and things in the city: Congress Street Neighborhood Troy NY (http://troyny.gov/neighborhoods/congressstreet.html - broken link)

Hillside Neighborhood Troy NY (http://troyny.gov/neighborhoods/hillside.html - broken link)

Beman Park Neighborhood Troy NY (http://troyny.gov/neighborhoods/bemanpark.html - broken link)

Troy NY Neighborhoods (http://troyny.gov/neighborhoods.html - broken link)

TROY.NY :: About Troy

CDTA: Capital District Transportation Authority. Routes and Schedules: Troy

US2010

Old 02-21-2012, 09:37 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,061,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
I'm finalizing what schools I want to apply to and location matters to me. Its not the only criteria but it is an important one.

Right now from a programmatic standpoint Rensselaer Polytechnic is looking like a school to consider.

How is the area it is in? Do you need a Car? Is it fairly conservative or liberal? Younger or older generation? What types of nightlife and daylife is around? What is the cost of living like? What is the diversity like?

Thanks,
Ender
My sister is finishing up her degree at RPI now. My dad also went there for college. Great school!

If you live in downtown Troy, it is very walkable although the Food Co-Op that was down there closed recently. It is generally safe and I've never had a problem with going home to my sister's after the bars close. If you lived downtown, you wouldn't necessarily need a car to get around there, but since RPI is further up the hill you would need a mode of transportation (I believe the bus system is fine, although I've never used it).

Definitely a younger generation, with Sage being there as well it's mainly a college town. I don't know your age, but if you like craft beer, The Ruck is a great bar to check out. They also have live music frequently. Then there's Dinosaur BBQ, Ryan's Wake, Brown's, Rev Hall, etc all along River Street. There are various street festivals, cookoffs (chili, wings, etc), farmer's market, etc at all times of the year. I Love has the best pizza in town. For more of a club scene, Albany is just over the river. There's also always events going on through RPI as well.

Cost of living is very cheap. My sister and her boyfriend are in a 4BR brownstown for $900 per month. I have another friend that's in a large 2BR brownstone for only $500. (These are all right in downtown)

Old 02-21-2012, 10:34 AM

This is a good long thread to read - //www.city-data.com/forum/alban...move-troy.html

Old 02-21-2012, 12:13 PM

Thanks I just read that thread. Could anyone give a bit more specifics though.

Ryan's Wake, Brown's, Rev Hall.... I don't know what these are. Is the music scene predominately rock? hiphop? electronic? jazz? salsa? reggaeton? You mention chili, wings and pizza but those all sound incredibly boring to me, are there any true ethnic restaurants such as german, korean bbq, polish, greek, turkish so on..?

Also nobody yet in this thread and nobody in the thread just posted by Becca discusses any outdoor activities that are popular. Is there hunting, fishing, golf, cross country skiing, snowboarding, 4-wheeling, bicycle paths (paved or trail), rock climbing, rafting, kayaking, kiteboarding, sailing, windsurfing....?

The other thread talks a lot about Jews but is it fairly liberal and diverse? I'm not just talking black/white relations but everyone races, religions, ethnicities, sexual orientations.

It would be to apply this year so going next year in which case I'd be 28 when I move there.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks I just read that thread. Could anyone give a bit more specifics though.

Ryan's Wake, Brown's, Rev Hall.... I don't know what these are. Is the music scene predominately rock? hiphop? electronic? jazz? salsa? reggaeton? You mention chili, wings and pizza but those all sound incredibly boring to me, are there any true ethnic restaurants such as german, korean bbq, polish, greek, turkish so on..?

Also nobody yet in this thread and nobody in the thread just posted by Becca discusses any outdoor activities that are popular. Is there hunting, fishing, golf, cross country skiing, snowboarding, 4-wheeling, bicycle paths (paved or trail), rock climbing, rafting, kayaking, kiteboarding, sailing, windsurfing....?

The other thread talks a lot about Jews but is it fairly liberal and diverse? I'm not just talking black/white relations but everyone races, religions, ethnicities, sexual orientations.

It would be to apply this year so going next year in which case I'd be 28 when I move there.
Google is your friend

Old 02-21-2012, 03:49 PM

Google isn't a human. I'm not asking for statistics or some tourism page. I'm asking for what humans are like there and enjoy. If someone were to ask me what Orlando is like I'd say its predominately made up of Puerto Ricans, White people, and Black people. Its got a lot of Latin music and Country music. The most popular outdoor activities by far are mudding, fishing, camping, boating, and hunting. By and large its a pretty close minded place on both sides of the racial divide but usually there's no hate crimes they just stick to their own. The majority are Christian including Catholic but again there's no real hate crimes or anything like that going on over religion but if you're Atheist, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu etc you'll definitely notice it. Restaurants are wonderful and there's not many ethnic cuisines you can think of that we don't have a decent restaurant for. Plenty of dive bars, upscale bars, and live music venues. Only thing we really don't have is a good arts scene and no good lounges for house music or jazz to just chill at. People here love either their Trucks or their Civics.

Google can't tell you this. I can. This is the type of description I'm looking for about Troy.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:27 PM

69,376 posts, read 96,156,627 times
You close to the Adirondacks, Berkshires and Catskills. So, skiing, hiking and other outdoor activities are close by. It is a diverse city that is mostly White(high Irish percentage, with Italians- there is a Little Italy and other ethnic groups) and growing Black, Hispanic and Asian populations and in that order of size. I'm not sure about the Gay community, but I'm sure there is one. There's a women's college and a big community college there too. It is a pretty Catholic area and has 2 Catholic HS's in the city. I'd say there is somewhat of a NYC and New England influence. You are very close to Albany and their gay scene is centered around Lark Street: Lark Street BID :: Welcome (Think a scaled down version of Greenwich Village). Lark Street In Albany New York - Restaurants, Shopping, Bars And Galleries

Here's more info: GayAlbanyOnline.com -- Gay Albany NY, Gay Saratoga Springs, Gay Troy New York

Old 02-21-2012, 06:44 PM

334 posts, read 777,350 times
RPI itself had a very active Outing Club - hiking, snowboarding, rock climbing, caving, kayaking, and more. I'm not sure if most members are undergrads, but I'm sure if you contact them, they would be happy to talk to you. The great thing about the club is you that you don't have to have a car to take part - individuals with cars and/or RPI vehicles provide transportation.

As you probably know, the school has a sizable international population. I have no connections to RPI other than living nearby, but I have visited the school to take in various performances, festivals and food of the ethnic groups and clubs on campus. I know this isn't exactly what you are asking, but I think you shouldn't forget the school itself when making your decision - after all, if you are going to grad school, you will be spending the bulk of your time studying!

Also on campus is EMPAC, which hosts a lot of experimental arts events. The building itself is cool too.

Troy itself is a somewhat rundown northeastern (formerly) industrial city. I am from New England, so I am very comfortable with this, but if you are from Orlando (?), it may seem too gritty and densely populated. There are parts of town that have the reputation of being unsafe, but the areas near campus and downtown are fine.

My sense is that the clubs/music scene in Troy tends to the alternative/experimental. The more traditional club scene - rock, pop, hip-hop - seems to be more active across the river in Albany (a 10 minute drive. Bus transportation easily available between the cities, but stops around midnight.) However, I'm a middle-aged person with young kids, so don't take what I say as gospel truth!

The architecture in downtown Troy is quite attractive, and thus the area has a mix of residents - working class old-timers, young hipsters, empty nesters. Not too many families, though. There is definitely an immigrant community in Troy, and there are some restaurants that reflect that. There are a couple of Lebanese restaurants, a Greek restaurant, Jamaican, etc. They are not located in any sort of restaurant row, but are instead scattered throughout the city, which means that most RPI students are not aware of them. Most are small, simple, family run affairs. Troy is not a place where there is a lot of fancy food! There is an excellent small artisan baker, The Placid Baker, downtown. Also, a year-round farmers market.

Because the place is not particularly upscale or overly hip, the rent is pretty affordable. This also means there isn't much of a cool cafe scene, boutique stores, natural food or the type of culture you might expect in Berkeley, CA or Ithaca, NY. The flip side here is that the artists, etc. tend to be the real deal, not posers. Think Greenwich Village decades ago before it became fashionable and unaffordable, and was still dumpy.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Google isn't a human. I'm not asking for statistics or some tourism page. I'm asking for what humans are like there and enjoy. If someone were to ask me what Orlando is like I'd say its predominately made up of Puerto Ricans, White people, and Black people. Its got a lot of Latin music and Country music. The most popular outdoor activities by far are mudding, fishing, camping, boating, and hunting. By and large its a pretty close minded place on both sides of the racial divide but usually there's no hate crimes they just stick to their own. The majority are Christian including Catholic but again there's no real hate crimes or anything like that going on over religion but if you're Atheist, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu etc you'll definitely notice it. Restaurants are wonderful and there's not many ethnic cuisines you can think of that we don't have a decent restaurant for. Plenty of dive bars, upscale bars, and live music venues. Only thing we really don't have is a good arts scene and no good lounges for house music or jazz to just chill at. People here love either their Trucks or their Civics.

Google can't tell you this. I can. This is the type of description I'm looking for about Troy.
You posed very general questions and both myself and CKH gave you answers and links to help in your research. You then basically complained that you wanted more specific responses. Really, how much effort is it for you to put "Ryan's Wake Troy NY" into Google to find out what it is rather than expecting to be spoon fed the answers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area