U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2012, 07:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,721 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am from Syracuse, and found out today that I got my dream job in Albany. I don't know too much about the city, and am looking for a little info.

We plan on getting an apartment for the 1st year we are there, while we look for a house, and were looking for advice on good areas to search in. It's for two people, me and my wife, and we are looking for a relativity quiet, and safe area.

I will be working downtown, and I would like to keep the commute within 30-45 minutes if possible, would also be fine with a place in the city near or in/near downtown.

I am also wondering what the traffic is like in the city in the morning, what the public transportation into the city is like, and if I should use it over driving.

Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 09:37 AM

12 posts, read 16,589 times
stay away from clifton park. It makes the daily commute go from fifteen minutes to a regular hour every morning. The shortest trip is the other side of the river in North greenbush and Rensselaer. East Greenbush is good too. Averill park is nice but gets kinda expensive and is way out there. Albany is nice but depends where you live and what the traffic is like. Troy is nice but suffers the same fate as Clifton park with traffic getting to the capital every morning.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:58 AM

72,356 posts, read 99,841,528 times
Perhaps parts of Pine Hills, Whitehall, Buckingham Lake, Delaware Avenue and maybe Center Square in the city of Albany. Perhaps in and around the village of Colonie, Delmar, Guilderland and Latham, among others. This should help: Renters Guide - Albany Apartments in New York and Albany, NY Apartment Complexes (http://www.rentersguidealbany.com/index.cfm?CFID=3858485&CFTOKEN=85046163&page=brows e - broken link)

Albany NY Neighborhoods - Mansion, Pine Hills, Center Square, Colonie, Guilderland, Troy & More On Albany.com - Community's Official Guide

Neighborhoods - The Official Site of the City of Albany, NY

Neighborhoods of Albany, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-19-2012, 10:37 PM

4 posts, read 3,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchlebus View Post
Hello!

I am from Syracuse, and found out today that I got my dream job in Albany. I don't know too much about the city, and am looking for a little info.

We plan on getting an apartment for the 1st year we are there, while we look for a house, and were looking for advice on good areas to search in. It's for two people, me and my wife, and we are looking for a relativity quiet, and safe area.

I will be working downtown, and I would like to keep the commute within 30-45 minutes if possible, would also be fine with a place in the city near or in/near downtown.

I am also wondering what the traffic is like in the city in the morning, what the public transportation into the city is like, and if I should use it over driving.

Thanks in advance.
I would strongly advise against moving into Albany directly, since you said you plan on buying a house in the future, driving around a bit will give you a better idea of what your surrounding's will be like.

For a quick tool to help you i suggest this site.
padmapper.com
Under the options you can place your work address in, and it will overlay a general area based on the time to destination of whatever you put in. ( I suggest using 30 minutes for your 45 minute estimate).

On the outskirt's area's I would suggest Delmar, Vorheesville, Greenbush. Closer to Albany and more urban? Colonie and Niskayune. Avoid any type of driving that involve's using the Northway(at least southbound) as you have everyone and their mother traveling from Saratoga Springs on down through there and the road easily turns into a parking lot as far as 1-3 miles from the Albany Exit.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:16 PM

334 posts, read 787,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azgard85 View Post
I would strongly advise against moving into Albany directly, since you said you plan on buying a house in the future, driving around a bit will give you a better idea of what your surrounding's will be like.
I'm not quite sure why this reader would advise against moving into Albany given your original parameters - especially if you are going to rent first, and you won't be stuck with any decision you make.

There is more traffic here than in the Syracuse area, but Albany is still a small city without the traffic woes of places like Washington DC. You can definitely get into some big traffic jams on the Northway between Albany and Saratoga. (The Northway is Route 87 between Albany & Canada - it took me a while to figure out Northway & Thruway when I first moved here because the southern part of the Thruway is Route 87 between Albany & NYC.) Also on Route 90 heading west at the tolls there is often back up.

Public transportation, which consists of the CDTA buses, is OK but improving. If your job is downtown, then the bus is a good way to go to commute. The bus isn't as good for going around to different parts of town to run errands. The bus is also best if you work regular hours. There are no buses between ca. 11:30 pm and 5:45 am. However, if you are going to work during those hours, parking will be a lot easier to find.

Three regular bus routes that go through some pleasant, quiet Albany neighborhoods are the #10 (Western Ave), #12 (Washington Ave), and #13 (New Scotland Ave). The first runs every 10 minutes from 6-9 am and 3-6 pm, less frequently during other hours. The other 2 run every 15 minutes during rush hour and less frequently during other times. All the buses are now equipped with bike racks, which a lot of people use, so that provides another option - you can ride your bike one way or ride your bike to a bus stop.

If you work downtown, you will have to pay for parking unless your employer provides it or you are one of those people that likes to spend half an hour every morning circling around following pedestrians until someone gets into their car and leaves a space. If you don't mind walking, you can also find street parking. I never have trouble finding a spot near my daughter's school which is only a 10-15 minute walk to downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area