U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2012, 12:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,428 times

Advertisements

Thinking of taking a job with GE in Niskayuna. Have two children, middle school and high school. Both are currently in top rated public schools, and a major concern is finding comparable schools, either private or public. Will be traveling a lot for work, so access to an airport would be useful. Would like to find a pleasant community within an hour commute of work. Any suggestions? Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 01:25 PM

76,357 posts, read 104,191,285 times
Niskayuna actually would fit. It also isn't too far from Albany International either. Maybe North Colonie, Guilderland or South Colonie school districts too.

For private schools, maybe Bishop Gibbons or Schenectady Christian in Schenectady. There's Christian Brothers Academy in Colonie, which is all boys. The Albany Academies is a non sect k-12 private school in Albany. There some others in the area as well.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:37 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,098,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
For private schools, maybe Bishop Gibbons or Schenectady Christian in Schenectady. There's Christian Brothers Academy in Colonie, which is all boys.
I have a friend that attended Schenectady Christian and another who attended CBA. The friend who went to SC actually moved to Amsterdam to attend the public high school there because he was so fed up with SC. The friend of mine that went to CBA graduated first in his class and got a full ride to SUNY Binghamton.

Then again, I'm sure some good kids have come out of SC, I'm just telling what I know.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:04 PM

95 posts, read 179,479 times
Colonie is closer to the airport, lower taxes and close to your work. Also has good schools. The absolute best schools in the region is in Bethlehem but most the schools here are outstanding compared to the rest of the country. If being near the airport is super important (not all the areas are super near the airport) than your top choice is Colonie. There are a few school districts that aren't too good, they tend to be Troy, Albany, Schenectady and the extremely rural ones.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:30 PM

76,357 posts, read 104,191,285 times
Here's an interesting list in regards to Upstate NY school district rankings: 2011 Upstate school district rankings - Buffalo - Business First

and the Capital District: 2011 Albany Area school district rankings - Buffalo - Business First

Old 03-21-2012, 07:59 PM

334 posts, read 798,624 times
I don't pay too much attention to school rankings, but maybe that's because I send my kids to Albany Public Schools . That said, Niskayuna and Bethlehem both have very strong reputations. North Colonie is also well-respected, but doesn't seem to get their name out there as much, so people don't know as much about it.

I work with a lot of people who sent their kids to Niskayuna, and they have had mostly good experiences. The experiences of people whose children were strong students were much better than those whose children were average or struggling academically. All the parents tended to agree that academically talented and motivated students were treated the best at Niskayuna.

I also know a lot of people with students in Bethlehem schools, but most of them have not yet reached high school. From their talk, there seems to be more problems with cliques and drugs in Bethlehem than in Niskayuna, but there are many different strong academic options at Bethlehem High School.

Niskayuna and Bethlehem skew towards the upper middle class. Niskayuna is somewhat more diverse racially because of the presence of GE and its international staff. Bethlehem is more of the doctors, lawyers, and state workers.

Both Niskayuna and Bethlehem have a variety of housing options, from older homes in established, walkable neighborhoods to mid-century subdivisions to new McMansion communities. Parts of the Bethlehem school district are even semi-rural.

I'm not sure where you are moving from. If it is a big city, then you may find any of the communities within the Troy-Albany-Schenectady-Saratoga area to have easy access to the airport. There is little traffic here, except on certain roads at certain times, and the airport is a joy to deal with compared to those in other places I've lived. The Park 'n' Fly is a great option and about the same price as airport parking. If you want to live really close to the airport, then Latham/Colonie is best, but anywhere near Routes 90 or 87 within the Capital District - especially within Albany County -will give you quick access to the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area