U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 08:08 PM

19 posts, read 103,117 times

Advertisements

Greetings!
I am looking to relocate in the Albany/Schenectady area soon and am looking for one or two possible settings. Think either small cozy town or 'cool' neighborhood steet like Elmwood Ave area in Buffalo or Park Ave in Rochester (as you can tell, I haven't been to too many places). I do not have a family (ie: not worried about the schools) but am tired of crime (car thefts, muggings, breakins). The job would be in Schenectady- regular hours. I hear great things about Saratoga and Balsam springs, but working only on a 30K salary, it may be too far and costly to drive every weekday. Any imput on the following types of neighborhoods TO RENT in or just outside of Schectaday?:
1. cool city neiborhood with low/minimal crime with coffee shops, music stores that are pedestrian friendly and lean toward community awareness etc.
2. small town feel with friendlly neighborhood- we're homebodies and don't really go out too much.
3. QUIET area, but more cozy and less smug.
Thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 07:26 AM

155 posts, read 809,714 times
Ballston Spa might work- it's still a bit of a sleeper, but I think it's up and coming due to proximity to Saratoga and intact little Victorian downtown. Easy commute to Schen.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:24 AM

Thanks for your reply, rug If you are familiar with the area, are there any great places in Albany, Schenectady, or just outside (think less than 20 min commute). thanks again! Joanna

Old 09-14-2007, 10:56 AM

254 posts, read 1,091,160 times
Default Lots of nice areas in Schenectady

First, I'm glad your job is in Schenectady rather than Albany. Albany has some nice little spots but nothing like Schenectady. Schenectady is much more historical and doesnt have a huge downtown and there are no tall buildings. The city is undergoing some nice improvements. I dont want to say the city has no crime or drugs. There is NOWHERE that fits that qualification. Even Ballston Spa has its share for a town that small. Ballston is a small town and on first sight seems quaint but just in my opinion has a old mill town feel. Saratoga is just a bit further out but is one of the most charming towns in Eastern NY but very much a pricy place.

Now back to Schenectady. On 30K you will have a tough time anywhere around here but Sch'ty will work. My best suggestion is anywhere around "Upper Union St." Just say that term and anyone will know what you mean. It is like a little village within the city. It is quite clean and there is a huge park called "Central Park a couple blocks over which enhances the quality of life in that area. As always I would suggest visiting. If you do, I dont believe you will be dissapointed. You will have that wonderful sense of community and it will be wonderful to be close to work. You will have access to very nice bike trails/walking trails that go for many miles.

I must mention Scotia. That is almost the PERFECT little Village right across the river from Schenectady. You will not be able to own a house there on 30K but will be able to find a nice rental if you can get by on that. Please visit the area first. I would actually look first in "Scotia" than in "Upper Union" I am typing this from the most quaint little library in Scotia right now. I live off Upper Union a few miles away and so does my Mom. I am considering moving to Scotia but Upper Union is definately the very next best thing. Also, Scotia has one of the nicest parks in the world, right next to the Mohawk River/Erie Canal.

If you need any additional info on this area, please email be back here or privatly and after looking at the area, I would be glad to help you find rentals. People in Scotia dont advertise their rentals, you have to know someone or find a small sign in a window. They want to keep the town clean and transient free.

Best wishes

Old 09-14-2007, 12:16 PM

Averagenyjo, That's fantastic! I'm heading out there next week and I'll be sure to drive around those areas. My bf is interviewing there for a law library clerkship and I was just guessing on the salary and I'm finishing up my PhD but don't have a job lined up yet so maybe someday I/we could afford a house I was looking at Scotia also, but it TOTALLY helps when someone like you can tell me to just say "upper union"! I saw an apartment complex listing near Riverside Park. Any thoughts on that? Thanks again! Joanna

Old 09-14-2007, 03:12 PM

254 posts, read 1,091,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoannaT View Post
Averagenyjo, That's fantastic! I'm heading out there next week and I'll be sure to drive around those areas. My bf is interviewing there for a law library clerkship and I was just guessing on the salary and I'm finishing up my PhD but don't have a job lined up yet so maybe someday I/we could afford a house I was looking at Scotia also, but it TOTALLY helps when someone like you can tell me to just say "upper union"! I saw an apartment complex listing near Riverside Park. Any thoughts on that? Thanks again! Joanna
Riverside park is along the Mohawk in an area of Schenectady called the "Stockade". This is ultra-quaint. I've never understood that area, Houses are cheap to rent there and evey buy. The houses look like an old world dutch village. many of the houses are from the 1700's & early 1800's. It is where Schenectady started. It is the location of where the Indians had their "stockade" then the Dutch settled the area. A couple really cute restaurants and cafe's there. It is just a tad mixed. Some very low income folks there but the houses are fairly well kept. Dont know about crime or drugs. There is some reason the houses dont go for 4 times as much as they do. We love to walk around the streets there. During the day. Worth a visit.
After you visit the area, you can comment on what you think about Upper Union and Scotia and then I could get a better feel of what your interest would compare to and where to find it.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:48 AM

145 posts, read 470,464 times
You might like the Niskayuna neighborhood near Union St. I thought it was adorable but the taxes in Schnectady & Albany County are completely outragous so we settled on Ballston Spa - Saratoga County is still reasonable. Ballston Spa homes still sell for under $200K in the village and we are 7 minutes from Saratoga for the night life.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:44 PM

267 posts, read 906,144 times
Default hello from sch'dy

Hi, I agree with above posters. I love old Niskayuna, quaint bungalows, w/in walking distance to Upper Union. The Central Park neighborhood, Grand Blvd area, Union Triangle, GE plots, the Sister Plots/Corlear Heights near Ellis Hospital, are all very nice in Schenectady. But if I were going to rent for a bit which it sounds like you are I would love to live in the Stockade. Everyone, owners and renters seem to all know each other. I like Scotia, and Ballston Spa, nice downtowns. I would say check Scotia first, simply because it's closer. I think once you visit and drive around a bit, you'll easily see nice areas vs. shady. Sch'dy normally gets a bad rap, but I have really enjoyed it. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:49 PM

Thanks all for the great suggestions! We went out to Schenectady last week and checked out all the areas you all suggested. The Stockade was very charming and is a strong possibility if we live in the city- I didn't really see any 'for rent' signs in the neighborhood, but maybe you have to go through a realtor?
Nearby State Street seemed a little grungy. One the plus, I saw lots of neat looking restaurants/pubs. What's the deal with Schenectady and hot dogs? I saw like 4 places advertising them as their 'special'...not that I'm adverse to hot dogs! N. Union and Niskayuna were also great- we got a little disoriented while driving around so I wasn't really sure where Niskayuna began...Had lunch in Scotia at an Irish pub (O'Learys, maybe?)- best black bean burger I ever tasted though my b/f's triple decker club looked delicious, too! Scotia was cute, but maybe a little too small? Perhaps if we ever buy a home... Balston Spa looked great and was closer that I thought it was. Route 50 seemed pretty busy even though it was mid-day- I kept wondering how congested it got during rush hour? Saratoga was also BEAUTIFUL, but looked $$$- still nice to know it's so close by.

Thanks again everyone- Once I find out if my b/f got the job, then I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions. Joanna

Old 09-24-2007, 05:53 PM

253 posts, read 1,219,838 times
I've never even been there before, but I've read about Lark st. in Albany. That seems to be the 'Elmwood strip' of Albany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area