U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 08:05 PM

239 posts, read 473,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I don't know what you don't understand. You don't think education employment is a big thing in the area? There are lots of jobs in it that one wouldn't think are in education. It's not just teachers/professors or the administrators.
It's true that the Capital Region is strong on education, healthcare, and politics but from what I've observed that's all it seems to offer. You need to have more diversity for a healthier economy, not just have it be dominated by education, healthcare, and politics. Plus college education jobs should be a standard for any metro area that a population of 800,000 to 1,000,000.

As for engineering, it would be much better if the region had more engineering firms and not just primarily GE and Knolls. I think the region would do well with some smaller, but local and powerful, based engineering companies. Most people I know who graduated with engineering degrees from schools in the area had to relocate to find jobs.

I also think the Capital Region would do well with some IT industry, which is a booming field these days.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 08:58 PM

71,002 posts, read 98,005,382 times
I believe that those fields are in the area outside of those 2 companies: Albany Engineering Jobs

Civil Engineer jobs in Albany, NY - Indeed Mobile

Mechanical Engineer jobs in Albany, NY - Indeed Mobile

Information Technology jobs in Albany, NY - Indeed Mobile

Old 04-12-2012, 09:06 PM

239 posts, read 473,818 times
I stand corrected. I guess I'm just comparing the amount of engineering jobs and firms I see advertised in San Diego, NoVA, and Long Island, which is a lot more compared to the Capital Region. But also not fair because San Diego, NoVA (being part of DC) Long Island (being part of NYC) are much bigger and powerful MSA.

But still, I think the capital region can diversify its economy more. Especially if the region has a population close to one million people.

Last edited by JCNNY; 04-12-2012 at 09:22 PM..

Old 04-13-2012, 09:25 AM

263 posts, read 584,321 times
Good buy and good luck to you....

Old 04-14-2012, 09:23 AM

7,529 posts, read 14,837,656 times
Default Poor Healthcare in Saratoga and upper capital region

Several posters indicate the strong healthcare in the capital region, yet we have found that medical care is extremely poor in this area. We have kept doctors in NJ because trying to get into see your primary is a major event, even if your condition requires immediate care.

Rather than wait in one of the clinics for three hours, or three weeks to see my upstate primary because I have pain in my leg, I have driven to my other primary in NJ, had lab work done in NJ because they told me they don't do a "bleed time" test, was seen by a PA endo in Albany and was told they needed to schedule parathyroid surgery (even after I told him I had parathyroid surgery in Mt. Sinai and was advised they only perform this surgery once by the top in the field).

Went to Saratoga Hospital ER urinating blood with an obvious kidney stone and laid there for three hours while they were treating drunks from Skidmore. Never called my urologist. I could go on and on. It is extemely frustrating.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:24 AM

68 posts, read 107,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Went to Saratoga Hospital ER urinating blood with an obvious kidney stone and laid there for three hours while they were treating drunks from Skidmore. Never called my urologist. I could go on and on. It is extemely frustrating.
I had this experience myself about 4 years ago with the Saratoga Hospital ER. I went down into a ball in the waiting area from the pain and several people in the waiting area were asking the triage nurse to do something for me. Finally a VERY pregnant nurse took me in, put me on a stretcher in the hallway and started an IV with pain meds- she was great and sympathized with me as a fellow kidney stone sufferer. SHE was the only person that stepped up and did something. That was after an agonizing 2 hours in the waiting area.

The only way to get into the treatment area quicker is if you go in by ambulance.

Last edited by kathybrj; 04-15-2012 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-15-2012, 08:59 AM

71,002 posts, read 98,005,382 times
Saratoga Hospital seems to be a place to stay away from if you have an emergency. I wonder how other hospitals are though?

Old 04-15-2012, 01:03 PM

334 posts, read 782,483 times
I'm wondering if the trouble getting in to see your primary is due to your insurance plan rather than the doctor. I have CDPHP and my family has always received same day or next day appointments for everything except routine physicals. We have used at least 4 different practices in our family, so this is not some anomaly of the particular practice my doctor is in. I am in Albany County, though. Maybe we have more primary care providers per capita than Saratoga County.

Unfortunately, part of health care anywhere depends on what your ailment is. I know a couple of people who have come from downstate for surgery at St. Peter's Hospital in Albany because St. Peter's is known for those particular procedures. This doesn't mean that hospital is good (or bad) at other procedures. But will save my rant on US health care for a different web site!

Old 04-15-2012, 02:28 PM

7,529 posts, read 14,837,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarchivist98 View Post
I'm wondering if the trouble getting in to see your primary is due to your insurance plan rather than the doctor. I have CDPHP and my family has always received same day or next day appointments for everything except routine physicals. We have used at least 4 different practices in our family, so this is not some anomaly of the particular practice my doctor is in. I am in Albany County, though. Maybe we have more primary care providers per capita than Saratoga County.

Unfortunately, part of health care anywhere depends on what your ailment is. I know a couple of people who have come from downstate for surgery at St. Peter's Hospital in Albany because St. Peter's is known for those particular procedures. This doesn't mean that hospital is good (or bad) at other procedures. But will save my rant on US health care for a different web site!
I know insurance is not the issue, more likely the Saratoga and surrounding area do not have adequate providers. I can call my NJ primary and they will ask what time can I get there. So many times I drive 3 hours; better than waiting three weeks. It just is frustrating, because the couple of times I went to Wilton Medical building, they kept INSISTING I needed a primary in the area. We go to Summit Medical Group in Berkeley Heights NJ. They have every type of doctor and facilities to any testing, imaging, etc. It's one stop shopping and for us, worth the trip. I have met people who go to SMG from Europe for all their medical needs!

Old 04-15-2012, 02:47 PM

95 posts, read 175,883 times
I don't have trouble getting in with a PCP once I am established in Albany County. I am on Healthy NY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area