U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2007, 08:10 AM

3 posts, read 8,037 times

Advertisements

I might be getting a job offer in the Albany Area. I am wondering how much money would I have to make in order to live comfortably (own a home) with a family of six.

Which would be the best area to live in (Albany, Rensselaer, East Greenbush?)

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 10:23 AM

254 posts, read 1,091,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng_looks4work View Post
I might be getting a job offer in the Albany Area. I am wondering how much money would I have to make in order to live comfortably (own a home) with a family of six.

Thanks.

For a family of 6, out of the 3 you listed, would have to be East Greenbush. Very close to the city but semi-suburban and just minutes to the depths of the country.

Probably min. of about 50-60K household income would do for starters. Broad range of housing options in Southern Rensselaer County. Housing cost is rising fast in that area though. Depends on what you define as comfortable, you may want closer to 75K depending on the needs of the family

Last edited by averagenyjoe; 09-15-2007 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: added additional statement

Old 09-16-2007, 09:15 PM

8 posts, read 26,986 times
Quote:

Thanks.
That all depends on what your lifestyle interests are...
They're all so completely different. Can you give more info. on what you're looking for?

Old 09-16-2007, 09:28 PM

Thanks for the responses so far. More details on what I want. I do not ask for much; I would just like to maintain at least my current standard of living (own a nice 4 bedroom home (2250 sq ft); it'd be hard to have to go back to living in an apartment. We are also looking for good schools, a nice area with parks/trails and other family attractions. I want to have enough money left over for music lessons and other extra-curricular activities). I know taxes are quite high up there and compared to Arkansas the cost of life is considerably higher (hence, my uncertainty on the salary one would have to make to maintain the standard of living).

Again, I appreciate your responses.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:56 PM

Thanks for your coments.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:48 AM

254 posts, read 1,091,071 times
Quote:
Thanks for the responses so far. More details on what I want. I do not ask for much; I would just like to maintain at least my current standard of living (own a nice 4 bedroom home (2250 sq ft); it'd be hard to have to go back to living in an apartment. We are also looking for good schools, a nice area with parks/trails and other family attractions. I want to have enough money left over for music lessons and other extra-curricular activities). I know taxes are quite high up there and compared to Arkansas the cost of life is considerably higher (hence, my uncertainty on the salary one would have to make to maintain the standard of living).

Again, I appreciate your responses.
any home in a decent area like E. Greenbush with 2250 sq. ft is sounding more like 75K household income (min.) Of course that too depends on what you are putting down and how much will be left to finance. But still 75K sounds like a good place to start. 50K would still be doable but you may need to supply some handy work here & there to bring such a house up to "nice" standards.

A Rensselaer address would be a bit cheaper than E.G and there are a couple nice neighborhoods further up the hill but you would really have to be careful with an address & schools in that area. Have you considered Colonie (pronounced colonee)? It is a strange municipality that is suburban that fills in most of the area between Albany, Schenectady & Latham. Latham is actually in the "town" of Colonie. Quite a diverse range of housing and Colonie is considered one of the "safest" towns in the Country. You are central to "everything" and have access to a wide range of beautiful parks and some of the nicest trails "I believe" in the country. There is a rail/trail that starts in Albany and goes north along the Hudson then curls around to the Mohawk River and follows the river out past Schenectady to Pattersonville and will eventually connect with other finished trails completing an Albany to Buffalo trail. I also believe "parks & Rec" is a major factor in "quality of life". Colonie also has good schools but there are several districts and there is some differences. Some are just average while others are quite good. I believe it is "North Colonie" that is one of the better ones. There is really nothing in Colonie that is "low income" It is mostly middle to upper middle. Some really good family style neighborhoods.

If you are interested in being more on the edge of the city areas instead of in the thick of it all maybe I could come up with some more suitable areas depending on your interest and tolerance levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area