U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2012, 11:14 AM

15 posts, read 25,576 times

Advertisements

I'll be as brief as possible since I'm pressed for time and using terribly slow wifi in a coffee shop. I'm living on a low fixed income. I don't own a car so I hitched a ride to NY mainly to help out my elderly mother but also to take a look around and see how I feel about living in Albany. I can't stay with mom, she's in an old folks home. But I figured, how hard can it be to find a modest room for rent in the Albany area, with basic amenities like internet and cable? Boy was I in for a rude awakening. After months of searching I've come up empty handed. One of my biggest problems is no one wants to rent weekly. They want at least monthly or sign a long term lease plus pay a heavy deposit I can't possibly afford. Or they want a female, or student, or working professional or bla bla bla. Anyone but me. An older male on disability with no car. Or, they consider internet and cable unaffordable luxuries. Or the home is out in the boondocks 30-50 miles to the nearest grocery store or more likely Stewarts. Well you get the idea.

So I was forced to check into a dumpy hotel. What little money I had to spend on rent is gone. I can't afford the hotel and I'm looking at life on the streets. I hate to leave NY knowing my 80 year old mother needs my help. But I can't help her if I'm living in a dumpster. She has stable housing, food, a car and almost everything else she needs except my helping hand. I have to consider my own survival so although I'm not happy about leaving mom behind, I intend to leave NY & head back south where the housing situation isn't so bleak for poor guys like me. And there are actually new apartments, town homes and condos to rent rooms in... rather than rickety 90 year old homes with creaky wood floors I absolutely hate. Not to mention no central AC and a bathroom shared by 3 to 12 shady tenants.

I'm posting this in the hope someone will offer me a temporary room in exchange for yard work. It would only be for a few weeks because I've decided when my next check arrives I'm leaving town one way or another. No choice the way I see it. No decent rooms for rent and taxes are absurdly high. In the past months I've viewed rooms in filthy row houses, flop houses, crack houses etc which I wouldn't let a dog live in, and for that they want like $600/mo + last month deposit? HAH! Go to hell you sorry slumlords!

I don't know what housing programs the state might offer low income disabled persons but from what I've seen thus far it's probably nothing I'd want. I won't live in a high rise for example. And if they want say, 1/3 of my monthly benefits for a shoebox size unit or room with no internet, cable, ac, etc... fuggetabout it! That's about what I've been paying to share a nice new apartment or house down south with all the modern conveniences.

So, anyone have yard or possibly light farm hand work in exchange for a temp room? You there, in Saratoga Springs. I could feed your horses... even shovel sh** if need be. But I'm not living in a barn ok? lol thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 08:35 PM

119 posts, read 387,171 times
Well, I might feel sorry for you....but! If your mother has a car, why can't you borrow it? How is it that you're "helping out your elderly mother", who you say has everything, when you don't have enough money for your own existence. What "absurdly high" taxes impact you as a transient? You're sitting in a coffee shop and accessing this site how? SmartPhone, computer?

Perhaps you have never before attempted to survive in a foreign environment. There are many government and private agencies to help you temporarily or permanently. Have you contacted any of them? Are there others in your "dumpy hotel" that you have asked for advice?

Since you feel your beloved South has all you desire, as opposed to the wretched North, hitch a ride back to your Utopia. It's free!

Old 04-21-2012, 09:08 PM

71,306 posts, read 98,514,973 times
Maybe these websites would help: Welcome to the Watervliet Housing Authority

Cohoes Housing Authority

The Mechanicville Housing Authority

http://www.mapskrieg.com/view/albany/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area