U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 08:54 PM

142 posts, read 290,260 times

Advertisements

Just sold our Long Island home and will be looking to rent for a year or so in either Latham or Clifton Park.
Haven't heard anything too negative about either community.

We've driving up next weekend to look at apartment complexes.

Anyone have any recommendations? The reviews on ApartmentRatings seems to be skewed by malcontents and exaggerations.
I'd prefer a moderate, realistic opinion from people without a specific agenda or bias.

Would anyone care to suggest one or two places we should look? or avoid?

Any input or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 09:20 PM

3,504 posts, read 9,873,020 times
I lived here when they were first built. I thought they were very nice:

Woodlands Apartment Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Latham apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

Old 04-29-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Thank you. We've got an appointment to see The Woodlands next Saturday. We're also visiting Rolling Ridge, Moutain View Terrace and the Hudson Preserve in the Latham area.

All four came up more positive than negative on Apartment Ratings.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:52 AM

334 posts, read 777,807 times
I don't have any insight into apartments in Clifton Park or Latham, but I did live in a complex run by Tri-City Rentals in Guilderland, and I felt their management was competent and responsive, and the upkeep was good, so if any of the complexes you are looking at are run by Tri-City Rentals, they are probably a safe bet.

As for the communities, Latham and Clifton Park are similar in feel. Clifton Park is a little newer and more spread out. I would pick the one that is closest to your work. If you work in Albany, Latham is probably the better bet because you don't have to cross the Mohawk River.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarchivist98 View Post
I don't have any insight into apartments in Clifton Park or Latham, but I did live in a complex run by Tri-City Rentals in Guilderland, and I felt their management was competent and responsive, and the upkeep was good, so if any of the complexes you are looking at are run by Tri-City Rentals, they are probably a safe bet.

As for the communities, Latham and Clifton Park are similar in feel. Clifton Park is a little newer and more spread out. I would pick the one that is closest to your work. If you work in Albany, Latham is probably the better bet because you don't have to cross the Mohawk River.
My wife and I are both retired, so the commute to work isn't an issue. We're looking for peaceful, serene, and safe......but we're not looking for a retirement community void of children and families.
Quiet is good; boring is bad.

Rolling Ridge is a TriCities community, so that's a good thing from a property management standpoint, but most of the TriCities 2-bedroom apartment floor plans are small. Going from 1,700+ square feet of living space to under 1,000 square feet might be a little too tight.

Thank you for your insight and your good advice.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:00 PM

841 posts, read 1,803,399 times
Most people who leave reviews are usually annoyed and want to get back at the management company I think. Hence so many negatives.

Latham is very similar to Long Island (there is a road that reminds us of 112 on LI). But it's not as crazy driving here.

Good luck. The shopping is good in Colonie (not too far from Latham). You will find this area has many, many stores like Long Island but not as spread out.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
Most people who leave reviews are usually annoyed and want to get back at the management company I think. Hence so many negatives.

Latham is very similar to Long Island (there is a road that reminds us of 112 on LI). But it's not as crazy driving here.

Good luck. The shopping is good in Colonie (not too far from Latham). You will find this area has many, many stores like Long Island but not as spread out.
Our son and daughter-in-law have been to Latham several times to visit her brother, and both have described Latham as looking a lot like Wantagh (where they currently live).
We're Nassau County residents, and it's funny that you should mention Route 112 because we recently travelled that road while looking at co-ops in Coram and Selden.

Great 'visual'. Thank you for your input and well wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area