U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 01:33 PM
JLO JLO started this thread

86 posts, read 196,476 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating from Texas to the Albany area. I grew up here. My husband and I have been in Texas for a little more than 5 years. Prior to that we lived in North Carolina.
Last week we went house hunting for a $350,000 home in the Bethlehem, Niskayuna school districts. YIKES. Please sellers,this isn't rocket science ... if you want to sell your home, make it worthy of a sale.
You may be wanting to retire, so you are hoping to sell your home for top dollar, right? Well,make it sellable. No one wants to move into a home with old carpets, old appliances, outdated kitchens and antiquated bathrooms. Buyers relocating for Tech jobs from the south are used to high standards. I sold my 3400 square foot, 5 bedroom, 4 bath all brick home in a top school district, with a pool for $400,000. Granted it's not the same market, but it doesn't mean I don't have some expectations.
I expect when I see a home that is priced at market value to have an updated kitchen, updated bathrooms, new or at least clean carpets, neutral paint and above all ... that it has been cleaned.
I can't begin to explain the deplorable conditions I encountered in my search for a 2,500 sq. foot home in a good school district. The appliances were outdated, the closets were filled to the brim, some homes smelled like smoke and most weren't cleaned.
No one wants to buy your mess. Not everyone appreciates your taste specific decor. Neutralize. Clean. Update. And then ask for a fair market value asking price.
It is completely disrespectful to show your home with cluttered closets, dirty floors, outdated kitchens and bathrooms with personal items scattered about. This is a business transaction. We aren't buying your outdated home unless it's priced so low it's worth our time and effort to update. And for that ... it better be a steal. But quite honestly,having put in a new kitchen to sell our NC home, I'd rather buy updated and pay a little more.
So folks, if you are older, wanting to get out of NY and move south, make your house a home worth buying. I don't want to see your clutter, your old used appliances, your outdated wallpaper and unkempt rooms. So, if you are wondering why your house won't sell .... it's because it takes work to make your house sellable. So, put the work into it and you'll get a buyer. Otherwise, if it's dirty, outdated and not underpriced .... you can keep it and you will. And this is especially true of the Texas buyers relocating to the Northeast. We don't want your old and ugly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 06:44 AM

7,602 posts, read 14,900,620 times
I understand where you're coming from, especially when you can have a home custom built for less. We ended up buying in Town of Saratoga, which is probably further than you would consider. Schuylerville has a good school district. There is a small development in Northunderland being built by Waldron Builders. Might check them out, maybe they have something closer. Mike Waldron is an honest and meticulous guy, he built our house and has built a workshop and added a room on.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:44 AM

263 posts, read 585,359 times
Dont have to buy a dated home for that, plenty of newer homes availlability in
great School District around the Cap District, find yourself a real Estate Agent that cares and dont be so angry, I dont think I would like you sitting in my backseat bitching and moaning all day.....Texas attitude, stay South!

Old 05-09-2012, 09:53 AM

71,429 posts, read 98,743,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland 544 View Post
Dont have to buy a dated home for that, plenty of newer homes availlability in
great School District around the Cap District, find yourself a real Estate Agent that cares and dont be so angry, I dont think I would like you sitting in my backseat bitching and moaning all day.....Texas attitude, stay South!
Yup, here you go: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

This should help too: 2011 Upstate school district rankings - Buffalo - Business First

2011 Albany Area school district rankings - Buffalo - Business First

Old 05-10-2012, 09:53 AM
JLO JLO started this thread

86 posts, read 196,476 times
Please don't assume I am "bitching or moaning." I merely gave my valid observation and opinion which is what this website is for. I am a regular contributor and have assisted many people in their relocation "south." Moving is an incredibly stressful undertaking and finding the right home for the right price is difficult. Especially in the capital district I've come to realize. I am originally from the Capital District, grew up there and thenspent 15 years in NYC.
Contrary to the previous posters assumption, I am not angry, but disappointed in the sellers who want top dollar without an ounce of effort. It's a waste of my time and my real estate agents time to view a home that is not prepared for sale. My agent was angry, not me. I'm just trying to find home a good clean, updated home with good schools. If that's bitching and moaning, well so be it. I'm sure you wouldn't want to move into a smoke filled, ancient home with doors falling off their hinges, bathrooms with moldy grout and carpets from the 1960's. My point in posting was to let sellers know that they need to clean and update before asking top dollar.
Thank you to those who offered their help. And those who don't have anything more to contribute than a personal judgement about someone they don't know personally ought not to post.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:14 PM

95 posts, read 176,215 times
If you want another agent, I know of one who seems pretty good. Sounds like your agent is ridiculous. I think you have a right to be picky for what you are willing to pay here. VERY few are willing to pay that here. You can probably get a brand new house in Selkirk, Latham or Clifton Park for a price around there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area