Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2012, 02:07 AM

2 posts, read 9,577 times

Advertisements

Our family will be relocated to Saratoga County this year as I got a job in GlobalFoundries in Malta. We are searching for an good 2 bedroom apartment in a safe and convenient area for our family. We are a young couple of 27 years old with a one-year old daughter.

I did some research on the past threads and other online resources, and we are debating whether we should live in Saratoga Springs or in Malta.

Malta is certainly closer to my work, but does seem to be a little boring for my wife, who would likes to walk in parks with our little girl and sometime go shopping in downtown stores.

Saratoga Springs seems to be more attractive in terms of urban life. However, most the apartment building that we found online seems to be older, and had bad reviews also.

Could anyone share some experience or thoughts on apartments in either Saratoga Springs, or Malta? Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 02:40 PM

9,300 posts, read 16,605,938 times
They are in the process of building these and have had signs up they are leasing.

The Springs - Saratoga Springs | Bonacio Construction - Homes, Workspaces, Condominiums, Landscaping

You also might consider Ballston Spa or Clifton Park.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:14 PM

92,405 posts, read 122,695,779 times
What about Glens Falls as a possibility too?

Old 05-18-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about Glens Falls as a possibility too?
Quite a long commute, don't you think?

Old 05-19-2012, 12:14 PM

150 posts, read 299,427 times
I would go with Saratoga Springs... especially if you like to walk to places. I know there are new apartments going up right in town by Bonacio .. they have a great location with a new Price Chopper in the bottom.. don't know when they will be ready or the cost though. Good luck and welcome!

Last edited by bellafinzi; 05-19-2012 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: no ads please

Old 05-19-2012, 01:38 PM

92,405 posts, read 122,695,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Quite a long commute, don't you think?
It says 38 minutes on Google Maps. So, that is quite a drive. Scotia may be another place to look into. Perhaps Stillwater or Schuylerville too.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:02 PM

2 posts, read 9,577 times
Dear Ellwood, ckhthankgod and Sally29,

Thank you so much for the information!

I want to find a place that is a short commute (<20 minutes of drive from Luther Forest). So I think the places should probably be narrowed down to Saratoga Springs, Ballston Spa, and Mechanicville...

I checked online about the new apartments you mentioned at downdown Saratoga Springs (The Springs by Bonacio). The location and apartment looks great, but the rent is higher than our budget.(Their 2bed apartment starts at $1565, but we want to keep our budget lower than 1200)
We also found other apartments in downtown Saratoga Springs, like Gastight Apartment, Whitmore, and Skidmore apartment, all with great location but lower cost. Does any of you have some knowledge/experience with these apartments, especially the community and neighborhood area? As we have a little child, safety is our top concern.

Also, we found there are another 3 apartments in Malta that look good. Malta Pointe's rent is lowest (~$1000 for a 2 bed apartment), and the surrounding area looks beatiful. But it is also pretty old, and the interior space is small.

Ellsworth and Steeplechase in Malta are two pretty new and nice communities with rents of about 1200 for a 2-bed apartment.

Any thoughts about these particular apartment?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-21-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericz View Post
We also found other apartments in downtown Saratoga Springs, like Gastight Apartment, Whitmore, and Skidmore apartment, all with great location but lower cost. Does any of you have some knowledge/experience with these apartments, especially the community and neighborhood area? As we have a little child, safety is our top concern.
I have passed by a few of the apartments mentioned in Saratoga and without being specific, Saratoga itself is extremely safe, so I doubt wherever you choose you would have a safety issue. I am not familiar with apartments in other areas, but driving through Ballston Spa it seems like a nice area.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:50 PM

150 posts, read 299,427 times
Glad to be of help! I am not sure about the locations of the apartments in Saratoga but pretty much all is safe. You just might want to find out if the apartment house primarilly rents to students as sometimes they can "party hardy".. good luck and let us know what happens!

Old 05-21-2012, 08:21 PM

6 posts, read 12,923 times
I am raising 3 children in Malta. It is growing as we speak & the town plan is a walkable community. There is Ellsworth Commons going in that will be walkable and trendy. The community center offers amazing classes for young children& the Ballston Spa schools have been excellent & progressive. We have amazing recreation program & Saturday enrichment classes and day camps. Saratoga is a short drive away. Can't speak of apartments directly though have been happy to raise my kids here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area