Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 08:06 AM

14 posts, read 82,327 times

Advertisements

Went to college in Canton 30 yrs ago - at the SUNY school there. Also had friends that went to St. Lawrence Univ. which is across town from SUNY-Canton. Nice town. Winters weren't too bad for me, as I was originally from two hours east of Canton, where winters were similar -- cold, but you dealt with it. After a long winter, the first day the temperature was in the forties (March-April timeframe) saw lots of us running around outside in t-shirts - seriously!
So, with two colleges in Canton and two more up in Potsdam (SUNY-Potsdam and Clarkson), there are opportunities in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 08:34 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,793,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
To me, this is worse than violent crime! It signifies the erosion of quality of life, and the over-commercialization of a once-unique community.
Well said and I agree.
If the bible was being written today instead of locusts it would be something like. "and a plague of yuppies and gentrifiers descended upon the land and all was laid waste'.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:28 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,441,861 times
i went to St. Lawrence in Canton about 20 yrs ago, and it will be colder for you than Albany! I remember it was quite common to snow in May and the summers are beautiful but unbelievably short. I loved the area and loved going to college there, but I personally couldn't live in Canton year round. Really too isolated....even with all the activities and events at the colleges.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:01 AM

34 posts, read 58,528 times
Default More about Ogdensburg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNYGIRL View Post
Hi,

I am happy to hear you are thinking of moving to Canton, and the North Country in general. I was born and raised there (born in Watertown raised in Gouverneur-about 25 miles south of Canton). I love it SO much, but my husband is in medical school, so we won't be going back any time soon. Maybe when we retire.

It is very cold in the winter. Since it isn't near one of the lakes, it gets much colder than even Watertown. By cold I mean that when I was in school, we didn't get cancelled when it was 10-20 below zero. We would only have a 2 hour delay! And it STAYS cold for a long while. BUT I lived in Syracuse and currently live in Buffalo, and I don't think they get the amount of snow as Syracuse. (BTW...Buffalo doesn't either, contrary to popular belief!!!) So that might be some relief if you are worried about the winter.

Canton is probably one of the nicer towns to live in, in St. Lawrence Co. I wouldn't say it is a booming metropolis, but it is a cute little village with a couple of bars, and the last time I was there...about 1 "nice" restaurant not counting Pizza Hut (McCarthy's). But Potsdam, Ogdensburg and Massena are within an hour of Canton, so they have more to choose from. I grew up in Gouverneur, and you will probably hear that is not one of the better towns. It is very poor, and there is REALLY nothing to it economically.

BUT despite all of that, the people are AMAZING!! Because the whole county has only about 150,000 people (or less??) you are very much part of a community. People will treat you well because everyone knows each other and word gets around very quickly. And living in Canton, you will see lots of Amish folks, as there is a large Amish community right outside of Canton going towards Ogdensburg. They are great people, and make AMAZING pies, jellies, cheese curd and other great homemade goodies. Watch out for buggies on Sunday.

I hope this helps. Don't freak out about the cold. Get yourself a snow mobile and some ice fishing gear and ENJOY!!!
Hi, can you describe Ogdensburg a little further? I am nervous about coooooold winters since I have my son! I am NYC native so I have some exposure. All my fam is here but I need to get some experience within my field so I've been considering this for a while. It will be tough for me though since I won't be able to depend on my fam, they will be in NYC. And I don't own a car but have my license so I have a feeling I will need to purchase a good one, especially for those winters. But sorry to trail off, I just wanted to get more info about Ogdensburg. Thanks hon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area