U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2007, 07:03 AM

7 posts, read 29,322 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any information about Waterford. Is it a nice place to live? To raise a family, etc? Any info would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 01:26 PM

7 posts, read 29,322 times
Post I need info on Waterford, New York

Any one out there know anything about the town of Waterford. I just know it's above Albany. I would like to know if it is a safe place to raise a family. Do they have nice housing for a young couple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby1 View Post
Anyone have any information about Waterford. Is it a nice place to live? To raise a family, etc? Any info would be appreciated.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:00 PM

3,705 posts, read 3,291,233 times
If you are going to be working in Waterford, I would recommend the nearby suburbs of Clifton Park and Halfmoon. Both have several housing options for a young couple (apts, condos, wide spectrum of homes). In either of these two towns, you will want to make sure you are in the Shenendehowa school district. Commuting to Waterford would be a breeze.

Waterford is an older industrial town, and is safe, but its school system is not highly regarded.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:23 PM

254 posts, read 1,091,327 times
Waterford neighborhoods have an old "has-been" tired feel to it. the downtown is a shining spot and is becoming very unique and I dont know of any vacant store fronts. The housing is all about the same. The houses are very tightly packed and most have almost no yards. the neighborhood streets are very narrow and it seems dirty. I know a few people and have met many others from there and you would almost expect to see a low class of people but many of them are not. Good middle class stock. I believe for a young couple you could get a place for cheaper than most other areas in the Capital District. Many of the houses would be flats which mean one family upstairs and another down.

I agree that the schools are not the greatest.

The village sits at the junction of the Mohawk & Hudson rivers and has several of the best canal festivles of anywhere in NY. hope that helps some.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:07 PM

90 posts, read 658,972 times
And a couple weeks ago they captured a poor lost moose in Waterford. Hows that for diversity

Old 02-16-2008, 04:34 AM

1 posts, read 4,213 times
Default Waterford is a great town to be in!!!!

This is a great town with a lot of great local culture. It has a nice local downtown and is in the middle of everything. Waterford has a a lot of local events for the kids and adults to enjoy through out the year. Winter Festivals, Christmas parades, Tugboat rally, and more. The water front has been redone for people to walk along the water and is located right next to pebbles island state park.

It is located in a great jump off spot of the capital region. South about 15 - 20 min is Albany if you work for NY State or any of the other local businesses. It is about 20-25 minutes south of saratoga for nights out dancing and great dinners. About an hour north is Lake george for lake and water front events and old paddle boats on the water. About 45 minutes east to vermont for maple syrup and leaf pipping. About an hour south to New Platz a little artist town that has some great restaurants and local bookstores and shop. We can't forget the local skiing at Whiteface, Catskills, okemo, or Lake Placid. All of this available within an hour of this quiet little hamlet that is very similar to "Mayberry". The mayor, Bert, Walk to work and is very accessible. Also everyone pretty much knows everyone else. It has a great sense of community and I would definately suggest to stop by to check out the area anytime. We are always at our best.

I loved this area so much I opened a business and purchased a home right in town. If you have any more questions about Waterford, NY please give me a call 518-235-0055. Ask for JP.

Great town, Great area, Great Community!!!

Old 02-17-2008, 08:08 AM

9,341 posts, read 27,529,866 times
Default Waterford is a village in the Town of Waterford in Saratoga County

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby1 View Post
Anyone have any information about Waterford.

Waterford is a village in the Town of Waterford in Saratoga County.

Incorporated in 1794, Waterford is the first village incorporated in New York State and is one of the few, if not the only, village still operating under its original charter.

For the New York State definition of city, town, village, hamlet and postal zone, please see:

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-glossary.html

Old 03-12-2011, 05:51 AM

3 posts, read 13,371 times
Is there any dairy farmes around waterford? Are there any NavyShips that come into waterford?

Old 03-16-2011, 07:45 PM

2 posts, read 4,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlottalowry View Post
Is there any dairy farmes around waterford? Are there any NavyShips that come into waterford?
There are no dairy farms that I know of within the town of Waterford. It's not rural enough to support farming. No Navy ships come to Waterford. It's north of a lock and it would be a tight squeeze to fit a navy ship through the lock. There is a WW2 era destroyer that gets parked at the waterfront in Albany, though. It's the USS Slater and they made a museum out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area