U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 10:17 PM

22 posts, read 112,001 times

Advertisements

Hey, I was thinking about movin up to albany, areas like downtown albany, clinton st, or oak street, other areas around there. I have never yet visited there, but from what I have heard, certain parts of albany can be very bad with crime etc. People I know who have went to the colleges in albany said the city of albany is very run down and dangerous. Is this true? Or is it an exaggeration of kids from suburban areas that think its so bad up there. It doesnt have to be a perfect place but I just dont want to be up in warzone areas. The homes are very cheap there. If anything, I would be interested in investing in a home. Am I getting myself into something bad by being around there? It cant be that bad right? lol Anyone form blabny chime in! lol Thanks a lot
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 12:45 AM

254 posts, read 1,093,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny2000 View Post
Hey, I was thinking about movin up to albany, areas like downtown albany, clinton st, or oak street, other areas around there. I have never yet visited there, but from what I have heard, certain parts of albany can be very bad with crime etc. People I know who have went to the colleges in albany said the city of albany is very run down and dangerous. Is this true? Or is it an exaggeration of kids from suburban areas that think its so bad up there. It doesnt have to be a perfect place but I just dont want to be up in warzone areas. The homes are very cheap there. If anything, I would be interested in investing in a home. Am I getting myself into something bad by being around there? It cant be that bad right? lol Anyone form blabny chime in! lol Thanks a lot
Ok, I know someone will protest and call me biased but I'll say it anyway. You will want to stay away from Arbor hill - the area around Dudley heights and between Livingston & Clinton Ave's. Then S.Pearl st & then the area around the Palace theater -- Ten Broeck st. & N. Pearl St. those are hot spots of potential warzones. Most of the rest of Albany are just fine and there are alot of good neighborhoods.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:09 AM

Thanks for the info, if i name a few streets do you think you can give me a heads up if its an alright area. Thanks

Old 09-28-2007, 01:23 AM

for example, oak street, it looks like from the map its near commerce ave and essex street... Near the city of albany public safety building. Is this like the other areas you described to avoid??? Or is this a decent neighborhood

Old 09-28-2007, 06:35 AM

155 posts, read 811,160 times
There is a public safety building on Henry Johnson Blvd near Oak st- if that's the area you refer to, that is not a good area. They put the public safety building there for a reason.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:00 AM

90 posts, read 660,063 times
Commerce Avenue area is very urban...warehouses, businesses, there is an indoor skateboard place in an old warehouse, a hotel off I-90, ....somewhat gritty and very mixed. It reminds me of parts of northern NJ around Secaucus etc...think Route 1-9 in that area. Not my idea of a homey area, but i'm not saying its a ghetto either. Maybe old side streets off that have cheap houses.

Albany has some some lovely neighborhoods though also, but maybe that's not where the cheapest houses are. South of Washington Ave...west of Downtown extending west and southwest to the hinterlands of the city (a broad generalization) ....is quite nice.

Downtown is decent (many improvements) but bookended on the north by Arbor Hill (crime problems) and the south by the South End (crime issues). Mansion Neighborhood may be ok..but I can't be sure. It's like any city...you can have a nice area and walk a few blocks and suddenly be in the bad area.

I don't know Oak Street....

Someone who actually lives in the city of Albany could do better than me. You need to know the neighborhoods intimately to find that deal of a house that is also in a decent enclave. Most really cheap houses are probably cheap for a good reason I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny2000 View Post
for example, oak street, it looks like from the map its near commerce ave and essex street... Near the city of albany public safety building. Is this like the other areas you described to avoid??? Or is this a decent neighborhood

Old 09-28-2007, 07:04 AM

31,629 posts, read 71,965,900 times
I've admittedly never been to Albany before either, but your theory of the suburban college kids automatically decrying it as a "ghetto" rather unfairly seems to be the case. I have friends here at King's College in Wilkes-Barre, PA who hail from the Capital Region of NY (one from Schenectady and one from Saratoga Springs), and not one of them has a nasty thing to say about it. One of my professors lived for years in Schenectady and didn't seem to be negatively-influenced by his residency there. I suspect the Capital Region is similar to any other Rust Belt city in the Tri-State Area; it looks depressed and run-down but is actually quite friendly and liveable, overall. I say this as I've likewise heard nothing but horror stories about Binghamton, NY being the "Little Bronx." I traversed nearly the entire city on foot earlier this year for one of my photo tours, and I only sauntered into one or two blocks in which I felt uncomfortable because large groups of minority teenagers were loitering and staring at me as I passed them. Otherwise I found Binghamton to not warrant its horrific reputation for crime at all. Hell, people even call Scranton, PA a ghetto when it's only had one homicide in the past several years and is consistently ranked as among the "most up-and-coming" cities in PA. Figure that one out.

We seem to have a lot of suburban "chicken littles" on the City-Data forum who automatically assume "city=dangerous," but that's just not true. I've actually heard so many great things about how the Capital District is revitalizing itself that I plan to visit next year to do some photo tours. As anyone could tell you though, the best idea would be for you to visit Albany yourself to get a good feel for what you're getting yourself into. Take my advice also and don't just experience the city from your car. Park it in various neighborhoods, get out, and stroll around a bit. Strike up conversations with people you pass to ask them about how they enjoy living in their neighborhoods and what they envision the future of Albany/Schenectady/Troy to be like. Scope out the local Wal-Marts, grocery stores, Lowe's, and/or malls to get a good gauge of the types of people you'll be surrounding yourself by if and when you relocate to the region. As someone who is likewise moving to an inner-city neighborhood in the upcoming years (here in Scranton), I find the fringe benefits of being able to walk to anything and everything I could ever need to far negate the minor risk of personal crime, as you'll likely also find with Albany. These Chicken Littles who think suburban living is the only way to go will change their tunes when we discover just how unsustainable sprawl is in the long-term once gasoline shortages begin to occur and they can't access anything without paying an arm-and-a-leg for gasoline for their SUVs.

Best of luck to you!

P.S. This might be a controversial topic, but the Capital Region also has a rapidly-growing LGBT community. I've noticed that usually an influx of gays/lesbians into a city tends to foreshadow urban revitalization efforts, so Albany might just be on the cusp of a great breakthrough.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I've admittedly never been to Albany before either, but your theory of the suburban college kids automatically decrying it as a "ghetto" rather unfairly seems to be the case. I have friends here at King's College in Wilkes-Barre, PA who hail from the Capital Region of NY (one from Schenectady and one from Saratoga Springs), and not one of them has a nasty thing to say about it. One of my professors lived for years in Schenectady and didn't seem to be negatively-influenced by his residency there. I suspect the Capital Region is similar to any other Rust Belt city in the Tri-State Area; it looks depressed and run-down but is actually quite friendly and liveable, overall. I say this as I've likewise heard nothing but horror stories about Binghamton, NY being the "Little Bronx." I traversed nearly the entire city on foot earlier this year for one of my photo tours, and I only sauntered into one or two blocks in which I felt uncomfortable because large groups of minority teenagers were loitering and staring at me as I passed them. Otherwise I found Binghamton to not warrant its horrific reputation for crime at all. Hell, people even call Scranton, PA a ghetto when it's only had one homicide in the past several years and is consistently ranked as among the "most up-and-coming" cities in PA. Figure that one out.

We seem to have a lot of suburban "chicken littles" on the City-Data forum who automatically assume "city=dangerous," but that's just not true. I've actually heard so many great things about how the Capital District is revitalizing itself that I plan to visit next year to do some photo tours. As anyone could tell you though, the best idea would be for you to visit Albany yourself to get a good feel for what you're getting yourself into. Take my advice also and don't just experience the city from your car. Park it in various neighborhoods, get out, and stroll around a bit. Strike up conversations with people you pass to ask them about how they enjoy living in their neighborhoods and what they envision the future of Albany/Schenectady/Troy to be like. Scope out the local Wal-Marts, grocery stores, Lowe's, and/or malls to get a good gauge of the types of people you'll be surrounding yourself by if and when you relocate to the region. As someone who is likewise moving to an inner-city neighborhood in the upcoming years (here in Scranton), I find the fringe benefits of being able to walk to anything and everything I could ever need to far negate the minor risk of personal crime, as you'll likely also find with Albany. These Chicken Littles who think suburban living is the only way to go will change their tunes when we discover just how unsustainable sprawl is in the long-term once gasoline shortages begin to occur and they can't access anything without paying an arm-and-a-leg for gasoline for their SUVs.

Best of luck to you!

P.S. This might be a controversial topic, but the Capital Region also has a rapidly-growing LGBT community. I've noticed that usually an influx of gays/lesbians into a city tends to foreshadow urban revitalization efforts, so Albany might just be on the cusp of a great breakthrough.
Your post reminded me of who I believe is the most eloquent expert on suburban sprawl and the virtues of city living, James Howard Kunstler

I'm warning you- you start reading his stuff and hours will have passed. He lives upstate in Saratoga Springs.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:41 AM

70 posts, read 406,546 times
So I started a thread 2 days ago on "Bad Neighborhoods in Albany Why so Bad?" No replies to my question, even after 40 views. Why can't anyone give a straight answer on why Arbor Hill is so "bad" Can you explain what it is. Since I have never been to albany I am clueless. When you say bad, I think in all fairness you should at least give a reason, like "too loud" "run down". I too am thinking of relocating.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:36 PM

Arbor Hill is your typical upstate ghetto. Rows & Rows of turn of the century, 2-3 story brick rowhouses that are in various states of disrepair and crumbling. Streets are littered, pitbulls everywhere, just a very socioeconomically rundown area, and crime is high there. From time to time Albany pumps some cash into restoring facades of some of the old apartments, but they end up looking crummy again within a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area