U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-01-2012, 10:18 PM
 
7 posts, read 47,942 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

My wife and I are currently in the process of moving. The only thing is we don't know exactly where it's going to be yet. We currently live in KY, where I have been all my life, but are planning on leaving within the next month or two. My wife recently got accepted into a few engineering schools scattered across the country. One is in Maryland, one is in Washington state and the other is Rensellaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, NY. I know absolutely nothing about New York. What kind of city is Troy? Is there much to do? Is it easy to travel from Troy to places like DC, Baltimore, Philly and NYC? How is the school? What is it's reputation? What is housing like in Troy? How is public transportation? How is the crime? How is the job market?

I have all of these questions but I know I am probably missing important things. I understand that I am a novice when it comes to making moves anywhere outside of Kentucky. If you can give me any recommendations or tips I'd greatly appreciate it. My wife got her acceptance letters from these school within the past two weeks and school starts in August. We have a lot to do in a short amount of time. I'm just trying everything I can to make sure my wife gets into a good school. She really deserves it.

I hope to hear responses from you guys. I could really use the advice.

Thank you.

Brad
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-02-2012, 04:59 AM
 
Location: Summerville, SC
506 posts, read 929,015 times
Reputation: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroBrad View Post
My wife and I are currently in the process of moving. The only thing is we don't know exactly where it's going to be yet. We currently live in KY, where I have been all my life, but are planning on leaving within the next month or two. My wife recently got accepted into a few engineering schools scattered across the country. One is in Maryland, one is in Washington state and the other is Rensellaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, NY. I know absolutely nothing about New York. What kind of city is Troy? Is there much to do? Is it easy to travel from Troy to places like DC, Baltimore, Philly and NYC? How is the school? What is it's reputation? What is housing like in Troy? How is public transportation? How is the crime? How is the job market?

I have all of these questions but I know I am probably missing important things. I understand that I am a novice when it comes to making moves anywhere outside of Kentucky. If you can give me any recommendations or tips I'd greatly appreciate it. My wife got her acceptance letters from these school within the past two weeks and school starts in August. We have a lot to do in a short amount of time. I'm just trying everything I can to make sure my wife gets into a good school. She really deserves it.

I hope to hear responses from you guys. I could really use the advice.

Thank you.

Brad
You might want to post this in the Albany Area forum, Troy is very close to Albany.

RPI is a great school. There are some parts of Troy that I would not want to live in as well as some nicer areas. Not everyone would agree with me, but I think there are a lot of things to do in the area. Travel time from Troy to NYC and Boston is about three hours. The other major areas are a little further away. Public transportation exists, but unless you are on or near a bus line, it can be lacking. I left there a few years ago so I cannot attest to the current job market.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2012, 08:17 PM
 
267 posts, read 908,628 times
Reputation: 255
RPI has a great reputation here in this area as well as across the country. I would agree with above poster, there are nice and not so nice areas of Troy, but that can be said about any city. My favorite thing about Troy is the historic architecture. I like the capital region because there are lots of things to do and it's close to the Adirondacks. Good luck w/choosing a school and the move.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2012, 08:35 PM
 
Location: Atlanta & NYC
6,616 posts, read 12,823,783 times
Reputation: 6642
RPI is a highly respected institution in this area but I wouldn't want to live in Troy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2012, 06:53 AM
 
70,606 posts, read 97,543,107 times
Reputation: 15446
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
RPI is a highly respected institution in this area but I wouldn't want to live in Troy.
Why? I'm sure the neighborhoods vary in quality just like any other city. Here is a neighborhood guide for the city of Troy: Neighborhoods

If Troy bothers you, then perhaps a small, but still urban city like Cohoes could work. City of Cohoes, NY - City of Cohoes, NY

Cohoes, NY Directory | Tourist Attractions | Shopping | Dining | Entertainment | Albany | Cohoes | New York | NY

In fact, it is right across the Hudson River from Troy. So, it is a short distance away. You may consider parts of Watervliet too, which is also right across the river from Troy. Welcome to the City of Watervliet, NY!

I believe that Watervliet is the most dense community in the Capital Region as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2012, 06:54 AM
 
Location: New York
357 posts, read 165,695 times
Reputation: 944
RPI is a wonderful institution but you might want to consider living in the outskirts of Troy, not the city itself.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2012, 07:05 AM
 
Location: Capitol Hill - Washington, DC
3,168 posts, read 5,087,479 times
Reputation: 3413
There was a thread not too long ago that has lots of great info - We're retired. Should we move to Troy (NY)? Why/not?

My sister lives in Troy, right in the downtown area... which I think is a great area. Lots of things to do along River Street as well. I know there is a bus company that runs day trips to things in NYC, central NY, and various other places (I can't think of the name of the company though).

The main places to steer clear of is South Troy and also anything north of Hoosick St.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2012, 07:07 AM
 
Location: Atlanta & NYC
6,616 posts, read 12,823,783 times
Reputation: 6642
Quote:
Originally Posted by meekawal View Post
RPI is a wonderful institution but you might want to consider living in the outskirts of Troy, not the city itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
The main places to steer clear of is South Troy and also anything north of Hoosick St.
These. ^^^
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2012, 07:22 AM
 
70,606 posts, read 97,543,107 times
Reputation: 15446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
There was a thread not too long ago that has lots of great info - We're retired. Should we move to Troy (NY)? Why/not?

My sister lives in Troy, right in the downtown area... which I think is a great area. Lots of things to do along River Street as well. I know there is a bus company that runs day trips to things in NYC, central NY, and various other places (I can't think of the name of the company though).

The main places to steer clear of is South Troy and also anything north of Hoosick St.
Does this include all of Lansingburgh or does it improve the further north you go? Is that the case with South Troy too? I knew about the inner neighborhoods in those parts of town, but was wondering about the outer neighborhoods.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2012, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Capitol Hill - Washington, DC
3,168 posts, read 5,087,479 times
Reputation: 3413
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Does this include all of Lansingburgh or does it improve the further north you go? Is that the case with South Troy too? I knew about the inner neighborhoods in those parts of town, but was wondering about the outer neighborhoods.
I was mostly referring to the inner neighborhoods. I'm pretty sure Lansingburgh is fine, although I don't have any direct experience with it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top