Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 07:23 AM

6 posts, read 9,018 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My family is going to be transferred to the Albany area next month (Husband working in Albany) and we have narrowed in on Saratoga Springs as our potential new home. We are originally from Boston, but have lived in Buffalo, Chicago and DC.

We have 2 kids - and I am having problems finding preschools in the area if anyone can help there.

Also, neighborhoods to consider? This is our last move and we are going to have a 10 day house hunting trip so we don't want to make any poor decisions.

And although I am asking about Saratoga - are we missing an equally great town East of Albany that would bring us a bit closer to MA?

Many thanks for all of the help and any other insights!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 08:35 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
Saratoga Springs is a great, safe place to make your new home. My recommendation for preschool would be:
SIS Home - siskids

AFA neighborhoods, most, if not all, of Saratoga is extremely safe.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:37 PM

5 posts, read 10,127 times
anything north of latham is safe. The food is horrible though. If you like mexican food do not move here. Also, the pizza sucks, and crappy hamburgers are $12. Everything south and west of latham is not safe (also do not live in Troy, Albany, or Schenectady)

Old 07-15-2012, 04:46 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yep79 View Post
anything north of latham is safe. The food is horrible though. If you like mexican food do not move here. Also, the pizza sucks, and crappy hamburgers are $12. Everything south and west of latham is not safe (also do not live in Troy, Albany, or Schenectady)
Maybe our tastes are different, but we have found some great food in the Saratoga area:
Old Bryan Inn, Longfellows (M-f @ bar $10 hamburgers), Ripe Tomato, Pacific Grill (chinese), Mangino's, Hibachi, Duo, Panzas, Amigos Cantina (Schuylerville), Wishing Well, Caputo's Pizza, not to mention downtown Saratoga has many more great restaurants.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:43 AM

506 posts, read 1,025,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Maybe our tastes are different, but we have found some great food in the Saratoga area:
Old Bryan Inn, Longfellows (M-f @ bar $10 hamburgers), Ripe Tomato, Pacific Grill (chinese), Mangino's, Hibachi, Duo, Panzas, Amigos Cantina (Schuylerville), Wishing Well, Caputo's Pizza, not to mention downtown Saratoga has many more great restaurants.
One of my favorites was D'Andreas Pizza.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:31 AM

255 posts, read 488,068 times
Saratoga is a great community. A great public school, very nice amenities and a nice walkable downtown. You should be able to find some great houses there using these two sites: Realtor.com or Trulia.com

There aren't too many towns east of Albany that offer much, what you'd be finding there would be houses with allllllot of open space. Basically farm plots. Towns like Chatham and Ghent.

I'm not sure what you're looking for, but I'm assuming you would perfer suburbs? If so you could check out Clifton Park. Clifton Park is a nice suburb with a good school and it's closer to Albany than Saratoga so the commute would be easier there.
If you're looking to really reduce your commute to Albany I would also suggest Loundonville (where I grew up - biased, I know). It also is home to a great public school, some very nice houses and is less than ten minutes to downtown Albany.

Now if you don't mind living in downtown Albany instead of the 'burbs I can also give suggestions in that vein.

As for Daycares: Find Childcare | Daycare | Saratoga Springs | Malta NY | Clifton Park

Old 07-16-2012, 10:36 AM

6 posts, read 9,018 times
We are interested in a suburb - and don't mind a commute - we are more interested in the best location as possible. All of your help is appreciated! Great school system is a priority too.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:43 AM

263 posts, read 626,109 times
Who could argue with Chatham? great area to live and raise children

Old 07-16-2012, 12:33 PM

255 posts, read 488,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibberish14 View Post
We are interested in a suburb - and don't mind a commute - we are more interested in the best location as possible. All of your help is appreciated! Great school system is a priority too.
Well in that case I would just urge you to come see for yourself. Though you really can't go wrong with Loudonville, Saratoga or Clifton Park. They all are great places with great schools and wonderful homes.

When you get to the area on your 10 day trip, spend the first day just exploring the area. Here's what you can do: Start in Albany and just drive down US Route 9. That road hits Loudonville first, Latham (another nice area), Clifton Park, then eventually Saratoga.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:51 AM

93,294 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Guilderland, Bethlehem and Niskayuna could work as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area