Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 10:32 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times

Advertisements

It's just kinda hard to provide you with solid info when you give so little, as other posters have pointed out. But hey, if you think Troy is where you should be, then come here and check it out. Maybe it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 10:53 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
Comparing Troy to San Diego is like comparing car batteries to donuts. No comparison...period.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:38 PM

76 posts, read 136,425 times
San Diego is boring. The weather is perfect everyday.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:48 AM

36 posts, read 73,979 times
Perhaps the OP has made a decision whether or not to move by this time, but as others continue to weigh in, I suppose I will too (after all, these threads will be here for future readers). First, as far as everyone saying "don't do it" I agree that's not a lot of useful information, but in the title of the thread and again in the text, the OP asks "how do they compare?" Well, for most folks, there is simply no comparison, they are *almost* as opposite as you can get so actual comparison is difficult. Now for the useful information part....

Yes, the weather will be the biggest thing. Knowing this is one thing, understanding this is another - the OP asked about lifestyle, and the weather isn't just a winter wonderland, the weather is indeed a big lifestyle change. Are you prepared to allow time to shovel snow and clean off your car before work on a snowy day? And then chisel the ice off your windshield and wipers on the way out of work as your fingertips freeze, and again if you stop at the gym or store on your way home? Ready to shovel out from the plow to get back into your driveway (unless you live in an apt complex)? Are you prepared for the winter expenses - many new clothes, boots, snow tires... sure, not everyone gets snow tires but I suspect you will want them for the peace of mind after not living in snowy climates. I'm guessing you don't need much heat or AC in the San Diego climate....... well, get ready for significant heating bills for several months, and worse, the general lack of fresh air that comes with mostly being indoors in heated environments all winter. Are you prepared for day after day of cloudy, gloomy weather (not just in winter)? Humidity in Summer? More than average rainy days, cramping your outdoor plans? Few days overall where you can sleep with your windows open? You get the point.

Further, having lived in Maryland, Atlanta, Albany, and now Austin, I found the Albany/Troy culture and attitudes to be the most "different" (I have another recent post about this in the "transplant" thread). Coming from San Diego, I suspect you'll find the same: less laid back, more uptight folks with a generally negative perspective. Not everyone of course, but more. I won't go on about that here, folks can read my other post.

Those are some of the differences you will find, in my experience. On the positive side, many people enjoy the area, including some transplants too. I can honestly say, while it was my least favorite place to live and couldn't wait to leave, I made the most of it and met my wife there. Outdoor activities are plentiful. Great hiking is 60-90 minutes away. Closer to Albany/Troy, we would walk the trails at Thacher Park and Peebles Island at least once a week with the dog and never got tired of these two underrated gems. I took up snowshoeing - many beautiful golf courses open for XC skiing and snowshoeing in the winter. You can take a very easy (albeit not cheap) Amtrak ride into NYC any time. Weekend trips to Montreal and Boston usually are simple drives too. Vermont is just beautiful. And you will make friends that like to do things around town too, but in my experience it takes a little more effort and initiative.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:31 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
The difference between San Diego and the Albany/Schenectady/Troy region is that of night and day. They are complete opposites.

Many will question why you'd want to do this , as most would move in the opposite direction. The Albany area is quite old, very cold and snowy in winter, and with an aged housing stock, and a somewhat gloomy, staid outlook. It has become a high-tech center of sorts recently, drawing some new residents from Austin, Tx, of all places, and it has always had a good supply of high-quality colleges and universities. But it's not exciting or glamerous, although it's very affordable. It does have some mass-transit accessibility to NYC, Boston and Montreal, and to skiing destinations around northern New England, as well as upstate NY, but there's no ocean on your doorstep ( many lakes though). It would be best if you visited the region, and walked around the cities themselves. Troy itself isn't all that great, but neighboring cities/towns may have what you're looking for...

Old 08-23-2012, 10:37 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,527,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Comparing Troy to San Diego is like comparing car batteries to donuts. No comparison...period.
lol this has been my favorite analogy in this thread... and so true!

Old 08-26-2012, 01:39 PM

162 posts, read 359,160 times
I grew up in Troy, my husband grew up in San Diego. There really are no similarities. Troy itself, doesn't have much to offer. RPI is a great college and I Love NY Pizza is great pizza, but that is about all Troy has to offer. The surrounding areas offer more, but overall, the Capital District is a bit boring. Saratoga has the races in the summer time, the museum is good for 1-2 visits, and there is some hiking not to far away, but that is where it ends. If you don't have to move for the job, I'd keep looking.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:18 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
I gotta remember this one! I do think batteries and donuts have much more in common than Troy and San Diego.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:16 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,773 times
Like other posters said, San Diego and Troy have nothing in common. The only place on the east coast that comes close to the lifestyle of Southern California is Southeast Florida.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,427 times
I just moved back into Troy, after moving away a year and a half ago. The city is back on the rise, just be careful what neighborhood you move into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area